E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > sublime driving experience

07-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
clutchy
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

sublime driving experience

So I have a leased '14 camry from odd circumstances which I try to put miles on instead of my E90 330i.

I've been driving it the last couple of days and I finally took the 330i out again... It's shocking how sublime the driving experience is compared to the Camry.

The camry is loud, floppy, uncomfortable, and the driving dynamics suck. It sounds like a lawn mower. I'm shocked people like these cars. I hate camry's.

getting back into the E90, the seats are amazing, the engine is sublime, the transmission is great, the stereo sounds fantastic. Everything about the car is better.

I just thought I'd share. The E90 is a better car in almost every aspect and it's 8 years older...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #2
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

And you paid prolly 3 times premium for that..
      07-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
clutchy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
And you paid prolly 3 times premium for that..
Well someone did. I picked up a 10 year old car for 1/4 the new price. Point taken though.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I'm riding in a new Camry Uber right now. You're spot on. It's awful. It's not smooth riding, the tires make more noise than run flats and it feels like an echo chamber. It's a box with wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

No offense, but you are leasing a Camry so as to not drive your BMW??? You realize a 10 year old 330i, unless it has seriously low miles, is worth about $6K. Just drive it.

That said, I recently had the same experience. My E90 was at Dent Masters for a repair. They gave me a 2006 Accord Coup as a loaner. It only had 68,000 miles on it. I obviously have no history of the Accord, and yeah it was a loaner, but it had not held up well in just 68,000 miles. My E90 at over 3 times the mileage was in far better shape mechanically and cosmetically.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Drive your 330i!! I have 212,000 miles on mine and it still looks and drives great. It is a great car and its pretty much fully depreciated so the miles won't hurt it a bit. Honestly I can't think of a more opposite car than the Camry so I am not surprised by your reflections. People buy Camry's on reputation of reliability not because they are good cars from a dynamic, performance or comfort perspective. I will say that the new Mazda 6 is an excellent car that has some E90 like dynamics so if your looking for a reliable, modern equivalent the Mazda 6 is the car to go with. Unfortunately my wife chose the Accord over the 6, her car her call but I would have much preferred the 6.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:17 AM   #7
clutchy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No offense, but you are leasing a Camry so as to not drive your BMW??? You realize a 10 year old 330i, unless it has seriously low miles, is worth about $6K. Just drive it.
I absorbed the lease.... It was a unique situation and now I'm trying to get some use out of it.

I just don't want to give it back with less than 20k miles on it.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My E90 was at Dent Masters for a repair.
Which Dent Masters & how did you like their work? I took my E91 to the one in Rockville last year to repair nearly 1/2 dozen dents from falling tree branches, but felt they were a bit overpriced for the result - although still cheaper than my usual body shop.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Which Dent Masters & how did you like their work? I took my E91 to the one in Rockville last year to repair nearly 1/2 dozen dents from falling tree branches, but felt they were a bit overpriced for the result - although still cheaper than my usual body shop.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Tom
I posted a thread starting in April when the deer hit my E90, so you can check there for pics. I updated the thread on July 1st with the results. I didn't take perfect after pictures (with my cell phone) since the lighting wasn't perfect in the lower level (but open to natural light) of the garage I was in. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250584

But since you asked, it was Dent Masters in Tyson's Corner, VA. The door had numerous slight dents from the deer's nose and front legs. All of those dents were removed and the door looks like it was never touched. The rear left fender had a few light dents and one major, very deep dent where the deer caught the end of the fender right at the taillight. If you look at the rear dent in critical light at the correct angle, you'll see it has an orange peel look to it. The orange peel is not an effect of the paint but of the manipulation of the metal to remove the large, deep dent, from the fender. It's not new-fender perfect, but I didn't expect it to be. It did come out far better than I expected. Understand that the car has 300,000 miles on it and 10-year old paint and a few body imperfections that a 300,000-mile, 10-year service life brings. I didn't want, nor need a new-perfect fender repair and perfect paint work (which would not match the rest of the paint). I also didn't want the 4-week body shop repair time; I got the car back from Dent Masters in 4 days. And a traditional bodyshop repair would have totaled the car, something I wanted to avoid.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0