E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help: Advice needed never content

07-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Help: Advice needed never content

Hey guys,
I am sure many of you can relate as we all seem to be enthusiasts on this site. Long story short is it never seems that I am content with my car, its not that there is anything wrong with it or that I have had any issues. I just find myself constantly searching the internet, instagram and many other forums finding myself wanting the next best thing. I have contemplated trading in my vehicle for an F30 but cannot bring myself to spend that much on a used vehicle never mind purchasing a new one. This is my 2nd e90 335, my first being a pre lci rwd and my current being a 2011 335i xdrive msport. What do you guys do to deter wanting to purchase a new vehicle? I feel like I need some sort of intervention haha. My car is subtly modded but nothing over the top, upgraded lux angel eyes, remus quad exhaust, dukes diffuser, oem gloss black grill, m3 spoiler, paint matched front splitter and bmw performance shift knob. Any suggestions? I am still under CPO warranty for another so don't know if I want to do anything too crazy plus this is my daily.

pic for reference:
Attached Images

Last edited by e90Nate; 07-19-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I dunno, a coworker got a new Turbo S. I could either be malcontent and say how come he has that and I don't, and put some finishing nails under his tires every morning, or I can be happy with my plans to get a cpo F80. It's up to us individually, nobody can decide for you if your car should make you happy. I'm still happy with my 2007 E92.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
08njSTEP
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '66 SS396 Chevelle

Own more than 1 car. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd be discontent too if that POS was my car. Disgusting!

Kidding, of course. Car looks great, and if you enjoy driving it then that's all that matters. Sure X car may be better in some ways, but is it really worth the cash? Think of how much time and life you traded away for that cash. Is the slight bump of enjoyment in your car worth all that time and life?

As for your current car, I'd get rid of the fender badges and get some smoked sidemarkers. Looks slick.
      07-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I dunno, a coworker got a new Turbo S. I could either be malcontent and say how come he has that and I don't, and put some finishing nails under his tires every morning, or I can be happy with my plans to get a cpo F80. It's up to us individually, nobody can decide for you if your car should make you happy. I'm still happy with my 2007 E92.
oh no its nothing like that, I think its more of a car ADD thing, always researching things to change, then switching my mind and thinking perhaps I should get a different vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08njSTEP View Post
Own more than 1 car. Problem solved.
this might be the best idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
I'd be discontent too if that POS was my car. Disgusting!

Kidding, of course. Car looks great, and if you enjoy driving it then that's all that matters. Sure X car may be better in some ways, but is it really worth the cash? Think of how much time and life you traded away for that cash. Is the slight bump of enjoyment in your car worth all that time and life?

As for your current car, I'd get rid of the fender badges and get some smoked sidemarkers. Looks slick.
lol thanks man and you are right it isn't worth the extra money, perhaps I need to do a few simple cheaper mods.
      07-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Seek professional help, of the clinical psychologist type!
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Put a tune on it. If it breaks, remove it and get it fixed. Non run flat tires. Wheels. Etc. Plenty to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Jmichaels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 German taxi

I am the same way, I've wanted an e90 since the day they came out, now that I have one I love it, it puts a smile on my face every time I see it, I went on a cruise and couldn't wait to be back in the drivers seat. However every night I'll be bored browsing craigslist and car gurus to see what else there is.

I also love my girlfriend, but every so often I'll be bored and start browsing the Internet ..... And now I'm a bit off topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #9
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Put a tune on it. If it breaks, remove it and get it fixed. Non run flat tires. Wheels. Etc. Plenty to do.
I think i may go this route, at least I will under warranty if there is an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmichaels View Post
I am the same way, I've wanted an e90 since the day they came out, now that I have one I love it, it puts a smile on my face every time I see it, I went on a cruise and couldn't wait to be back in the drivers seat. However every night I'll be bored browsing craigslist and car gurus to see what else there is.

I also love my girlfriend, but every so often I'll be bored and start browsing the Internet ..... And now I'm a bit off topic.
LMAO! But this is me to a tee, constantly surfing the web looking at reviews and youtube videos of new cars, although every time I get into my car I come to the realization that no other car will make me as happy as this one does. Getting compliments from co-workers and other random people definitely reaffirms that I do love my car. Perhaps spending less time on the internet reading reviews will deter me from constantly wanting to switch it up lol.
      07-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nate View Post
Hey guys,
I am sure many of you can relate as we all seem to be enthusiasts on this site. Long story short is it never seems that I am content with my car, its not that there is anything wrong with it or that I have had any issues. I just find myself constantly searching the internet, instagram and many other forums finding myself wanting the next best thing. I have contemplated trading in my vehicle for an F30 but cannot bring myself to spend that much on a used vehicle never mind purchasing a new one. This is my 2nd e90 335, my first being a pre lci rwd and my current being a 2011 335i xdrive msport. What do you guys do to deter wanting to purchase a new vehicle? I feel like I need some sort of intervention haha. My car is subtly modded but nothing over the top, upgraded lux angel eyes, remus quad exhaust, dukes diffuser, oem gloss black grill, m3 spoiler, paint matched front splitter and bmw performance shift knob. Any suggestions? I am still under CPO warranty for another so don't know if I want to do anything too crazy plus this is my daily.
I am assuming there are a few of us in the same boat. I feel the same way you do so when my car was still under CPO I started to plan on mods to do to my car when my warranty expired. I did a few mods periodically after warranty to help renew my love for my E92. Now I am at the point where I am planning on saving for an F80 M3 after I get married next year. I don't look at it as a bad thing I just look at it as planning for the future vehicle. A little research never hurt anyone...

Quote:
Well maybe a little research could hurt this guy ^ lol

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #11
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeter753
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nate View Post
Hey guys,
I am assuming there are a few of us in the same boat. I feel the same way you do so when my car was still under CPO I started to plan on mods to do to my car when my warranty expired. I did a few mods periodically after warranty to help renew my love for my E92. Now I am at the point where I am planning on saving for an F80 M3 after I get married next year. I don't look at it as a bad thing I just look at it as planning for the future vehicle. A little research never hurt anyone...

Quote:
Well maybe a little research could hurt this guy ^ lol
Nice man that will be well worth the wait, maybe thats how I need to look at this, plan for my future vehicle. I would love to eventually have an f30 M3. As for the modding I think I am slowly going to jump into that now to hold me over
      07-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

Go for a drive.
Not a commute, not an errand or an appointment.
Just a nice hour drive with no agenda.
Bet you'll feel great about the car as it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #13
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
Go for a drive.
Not a commute, not an errand or an appointment.
Just a nice hour drive with no agenda.
Bet you'll feel great about the car as it is.
great advice just went for a ride and realized again why I bought this car, some mods are definitely in my near future
      07-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #14
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Time to move up to the M-series, or perhaps something....non BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #15
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335
Time to move up to the M-series, or perhaps something....non BMW?
I think this is the natural progression and the route I've been currently entertaining. An m car would be amazing but being up north I would still want a commuter vehicle as I don't know if I could bring myself to winter drive it.
      07-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #16
nOEMm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e92

Swap cars with your girlfriend/wife, mom, dad, friend, or whoever drives an economical transportation vehicle rather than a refined, profoundly handsome sport sedan. Swap for a week and watch that person pull away in your car. And as you go about your driving that week hating the lack of excitement in their car and worrying about what that person is doing to yours (i.e. Curb rash, door dings, etc.)...politely call them and ask for your car back.

When you get it back, sincerely apologize to your 335i for being a spoiled shmuck.

Never complain about a souped up BMW 3 series with a god damn Remus Race exhaust ever again.

‘15 F85 X5M Mineral White - Aragon Brown Full
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #17
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nOEMm
Swap cars with your girlfriend/wife, mom, dad, friend, or whoever drives an economical transportation vehicle rather than a refined, profoundly handsome sport sedan. Swap for a week and watch that person pull away in your car. And as you go about your driving that week hating the lack of excitement in their car and worrying about what that person is doing to yours (i.e. Curb rash, door dings, etc.)...politely call them and ask for your car back.

When you get it back, sincerely apologize to your 335i for being a spoiled shmuck.

Never complain about a souped up BMW 3 series with a god damn Remus Race exhaust ever again.
Lol I don't think I could bring myself to let anyone borrow my car, just the thought of it gives me anxiety lol.
      07-19-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Do some real performance mods so the car is more exciting to drive? That should fix the problem. Some coilovers to start to get rid of the off-road stance.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #19
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
Do some real performance mods so the car is more exciting to drive? That should fix the problem. Some coilovers to start to get rid of the off-road stance.
yeah I have been going over coils vs springs debate for awhile and so far have settled on nothing.

I also updated the original post to show the exhaust
      07-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #20
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Here's a few tricks:

Keep it until it's paid off.
Keep it for a minimum of x years.
Don't buy another car until you can pay cash.
Pick out your next car that may be worth $30k now, but wait until you can get it for $20k.

I have the same problem as you, I'm always looking for the next car. Never content. What's keeping me in my E90 is that it's an amazing car, and it is in amazing condition. I hate to part with it given all the preventative maintenance and current repairs I've done to it to make sure it lasts a long time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #21
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

This is a problem for a therapist.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
e90Nate
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patents
Here's a few tricks:

Keep it until it's paid off.
Keep it for a minimum of x years.
Don't buy another car until you can pay cash.
Pick out your next car that may be worth $30k now, but wait until you can get it for $20k.

I have the same problem as you, I'm always looking for the next car. Never content. What's keeping me in my E90 is that it's an amazing car, and it is in amazing condition. I hate to part with it given all the preventative maintenance and current repairs I've done to it to make sure it lasts a long time.
This is solid advice, appreciate it!