F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs
Studio RSR

07-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Dargofinch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 228i xDrive GC

Garage List
Dinan Springs

I have a 2015 F30 N26 328i xDrive and plan to change the springs.

Dinan recommends their springs with the corresponding Ride Quality and Handling Kit to achieve height, performance, and ride quality.

What do you think ? is it a must or nice to have ?
Any experience to share ?

Thanks in advance
2021 228i xDrive GC (F44) | Alpine White / Black SensaTec | M Sport | M Sport Steering | Convenience Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Shift Paddles | Illuminated Boston Trim| Extended Shadowline Trim| Panoramic moonroof
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

with the factory susp, the spring is holding the weight of the car. during load (cornering, bumps, etc.) the spring and strut compress and rebound together as a matched pair.

when you use lowering springs with stock shocks the shock travel reduces because it is compressed slightly from holding up some of the weight of the car. this causes premature shock wear, bottoming, and eventual early failure. although it is lower, the performance is often worse because the springs rates do not match the shocks compression and rebound.

dinan (cut) bumpstops reduce the total length of the shock, thus increasing the travel back somewhat and helps mitigate the problem of the preloaded shock. be aware if you load the shock to its limit (bottoming) and the bumpstops are absorbing some of the force the impact is much greater because the bumpstops are about half the thickness of oem.

therefore, if you are doing just lowering springs i'd recommend the dinan bumpstops or cut your own oem bumpstops so that your shocks will perform better and last longer. a good coilover is much better, though.. .
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M Sport 6MT

On a related note, since Dinan doesn't have springs for the 340i xDrive at the moment and is recommending the ACS springs, should something else be used with the ACS springs for the same purpose? Would the Dinan bumpstops work?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrup87 View Post
On a related note, since Dinan doesn't have springs for the 340i xDrive at the moment and is recommending the ACS springs, should something else be used with the ACS springs for the same purpose? Would the Dinan bumpstops work?
they are likely optimized for Dinan however they should work reasonably with any lowering spring setup of the similar height and spring rate.

i should mention that my knowledge and opinion is based on reading many threads and posts here as well as general mechanical knowledge. personally, i have a m-performance suspension and have no experience with any springs or bumpstops so take my words for what it's worth. you should definitely do some research yourself so you can make the most informed decisions.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #5
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

dont just do the springs. change your shocks at the same time.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
mtenhoven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 sDrive30i & 2024 M2

+1 on shocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post
dont just do the springs. change your shocks at the same time.
I have the M adaptive suspension and would be pairing it with Shockware. No intention of swapping out adaptive shocks for static ones, especially since I paid for the track handling package. Looked into EDC equipped coilovers, but the cost is through the roof. ACS + Shockware seems like the best move.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
89alpinem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16'320i,89'M3,08'X3,12'128i

Quote:
I have the M adaptive suspension and would be pairing it with Shockware. No intention of swapping out adaptive shocks for static ones, especially since I paid for the track handling package. Looked into EDC equipped coilovers, but the cost is through the roof. ACS + Shockware seems like the best move.
I'm doing the same thing... Would be dumb to switch the adaptive shocks out
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
a18012
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32

Thinking about doing the same. I have an f32 with DHP, and the traction when accelerating is awful. Hoping stiffer springs will fix this, already got the shockware done but didn't help too much with traction. If you guys could post a review after install and let me know if the springs help, that would be great!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

I recently did the Dinan springs & bump stops on my 2015 f32. Best move I ever made!
No regrets what so ever. IMHO you don't need to replace the shocks unless you no there worn out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the Dinan bumpstops can be used with the ACS springs, or what ACS recommends (cutting OEM bumps?). I agree that for 340xi people who want to keep EDC, ACS + Shockware is seeming like the best option other than KW EDC coilovers which start at $3.5k. My only hesitation is that it's not a fully engineered setup like Dinan springs would be, with proper bumpstops. Dinan has told me their bumpstops could be used with ACS most likely, probably some benefit but not as ideal as a matched set.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
WeedoWeedo
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

Interesting conversation. I've done ~8 cars with springs (usually H&R) only. And 2 others with coil overs (Cayman S and Cooper S). I never had any issues just doing springs. The look was far better, and the ride always firmed up a bit, but in a good way. Interesting to hear so many saying not to go with just springs. In theory, sure, $2000+ in coil overs is great. But most would rather spend $250 for springs and have the same ride height/look without compromising performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
n00bim2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedoWeedo View Post
Interesting conversation. I've done ~8 cars with springs (usually H&R) only. And 2 others with coil overs (Cayman S and Cooper S). I never had any issues just doing springs. The look was far better, and the ride always firmed up a bit, but in a good way. Interesting to hear so many saying not to go with just springs. In theory, sure, $2000+ in coil overs is great. But most would rather spend $250 for springs and have the same ride height/look without compromising performance.
did you do a lot of daily driving, pulling into plaza's, running slow speeds of speed bumps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I have the adaptive suspension and just bought the springs, and they work perfectly. It basically lowers the car to RWD msport height (10mm lower than base, since xdrive is 10mm higher than base and the springs drop the car by 20mm) and it rides perfect. It feels much more planted and the cornering is much much better.

If you buy h&r springs which are garbage (IMO) you'll bottom out for sure. I believe those springs are just to lower the car and cover wheelgap, I've heard bad things on the springs from lots of peeps who got rid of them and bought coilovers instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
But most would rather spend $250 for springs and have the same ride height/look without compromising performance.
It DOES compromise performance hence the near universal recommendation in this forum to not just do the springs. The stock dampers are FAR FAR FAR too soft to be combined with lowering springs. Its not speculation its been proven time and again the springs and OEM shocks*** do not work together.

*** This is in reference to the non-Active M shocks only.

The following issues are all but guarenteed with the OEM Shock/Lowering Spring Combo
  • Floaty ride when upset - hit a bump at speed and its a real joy
  • Suspension crashing on potholes and high risk of damage due to bottoming out.
  • Poor handling around high speed corners - those fully compressed dampers cause skidding/slipping

The difference is night and day once you've gone down this road and its not up for debate as anybody who has can tell you. I've tracked my car on just the Dinan Springs, I've tracked my car on Dinan plus Bilstein B8s. The difference at the track alone is worth it but the daily drivability and getting rid of the crashing over road issues like potholes and railroad tracks is even more important. We arent saying you need to blow $2000+ on coilovers.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #16
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

So with Adaptive M, do you still run the risk of premature wear and early failure if you're just running ACS + shockware?
      07-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin4 View Post
I recently did the Dinan springs & bump stops on my 2015 f32. Best move I ever made!
No regrets what so ever. IMHO you don't need to replace the shocks unless you no there worn out.

IMO if you're going to change your shocks and springs why not go with Coilovers? If I didn't have dampeners, I would have gotten Ohlin's Coilovers (still feel like my backend still had too much pitch and yaw). Then again if I do, I'll probably want a LSD and sways, and at that point I may as well trade my car in for a m3/4...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
WeedoWeedo
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bim2015 View Post
did you do a lot of daily driving, pulling into plaza's, running slow speeds of speed bumps, etc.
All the time. My cars have always been daily drivers with occasional track use (car club). I just don't understand everyone saying "the ride will suck, it's a compromise, it won't handle as well". None of this is true. I've done springs so many times on so many cars, and coil overs twice. With springs the cars never road worse. Slightly stiffer yes, with better handling, initial turn in, etc. I feel like those bashing H&R or just doing sprigs have never done it. Internet talk is many times just that; talk with no experience.

I really hope those considering just springs don't skip that as an option. They work, and work well for both looks, ride, and handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #19
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedoWeedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bim2015 View Post
All the time. My cars have always been daily drivers with occasional track use (car club). I just don't understand everyone saying "the ride will suck, it's a compromise, it won't handle as well". None of this is true. I've done springs so many times on so many cars, and coil overs twice. With springs the cars never road worse. Slightly stiffer yes, with better handling, initial turn in, etc. I feel like those bashing H&R or just doing sprigs have never done it. Internet talk is many times just that; talk with no experience.

I really hope those considering just springs don't skip that as an option. They work, and work well for both looks, ride, and handling.
Springs are very costly to install for a mod that will end up shortening the life of the dampers/shocks. Quality coilovers will handle significantly better than springs. They will also last well if you get a quality brand like KW.

The fact is that lowering springs with stock shocks will sit with the shocks more compressed than they were designed to. This can lead to negative driving dynamics. Some aspects of the handling will be better but others will not be.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
mkrup87
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
So with Adaptive M, do you still run the risk of premature wear and early failure if you're just running ACS + shockware?
I really wish someone would answer this question. I trust that Dinan knows what they're doing, and Dinan springs + bumpstops + Shockware is a well matched setup... but I wonder what happens when you swap in the ACS springs instead, and if there's anything else that needs to be done. From everything I've read, both ACS and Dinan springs only drop xDrive cars to a little bit lower than where they'd be with the OEM sport springs that already come on RWD cars with the adaptive dampers. Shockware, I would imagine, brings the damping rates in line with the firmer spring rates. So this isn't like we're talking about some slammed setup with H&R's and stock non-sport shocks. Logic tells me that should be fine, but I'd like to get some confirmation from someone with a little bit more technical knowledge and see if the ACS springs require different bumpstops as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #21
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

I heard there may be some action on Dinan 340xi springs/bumpstops relatively soon, so stay tuned. I'd feel better about an integrated solution because at least we'd know it was spec'd to work together by Dinan and covered by their warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
I really wish someone would answer this question. I trust that Dinan knows what they're doing, and Dinan springs + bumpstops + Shockware is a well matched setup... but I wonder what happens when you swap in the ACS springs instead, and if there's anything else that needs to be done. From everything I've read, both ACS and Dinan springs only drop xDrive cars to a little bit lower than where they'd be with the OEM sport springs that already come on RWD cars with the adaptive dampers. Shockware, I would imagine, brings the damping rates in line with the firmer spring rates. So this isn't like we're talking about some slammed setup with H&R's and stock non-sport shocks. Logic tells me that should be fine, but I'd like to get some confirmation from someone with a little bit more technical knowledge and see if the ACS springs require different bumpstops as well.
I mean, I'd go with Dinan springs if I could, but unfortunately we're not going to see springs for the 440 xDrive anytime soon :/