E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Turbo?

07-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Turbo?

Hi guys and girls,

Earlier today, while on dual carriageway my E90 320D (2006) lost power and started making a high pitched noise. I drove briefly not knowing what is going on but the speed kept dropping and I pulled over. I called RAC recovery and the guy said it's the turbo and pulled me home. I can drive the car but it makes a whining noise and RPMs are reluctant to go above 1000.

Maybe it's a silly question but do you guys think it's definitely the turbo? I watched a couple of "turbo problem" vids on youtube and the sound is similar to those in the vids.

Another question is is it possible to fix myself? I have fixed my cars many times (not the BMW) and have some tools and basic knowledge. But I never had to deal with turbos and know nothing about them. Can it be DIYed or is it garage only?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska
Hi guys and girls,

Earlier today, while on dual carriageway my E90 320D (2006) lost power and started making a high pitched noise. I drove briefly not knowing what is going on but the speed kept dropping and I pulled over. I called RAC recovery and the guy said it's the turbo and pulled me home. I can drive the car but it makes a whining noise and RPMs are reluctant to go above 1000.

Maybe it's a silly question but do you guys think it's definitely the turbo? I watched a couple of "turbo problem" vids on youtube and the sound is similar to those in the vids.

Another question is is it possible to fix myself? I have fixed my cars many times (not the BMW) and have some tools and basic knowledge. But I never had to deal with turbos and know nothing about them. Can it be DIYed or is it garage only?

Thank you!
you sure you have a 320d? I mean it didn't come with a turbo, so that can't be the problem
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
you sure you have a 320d? I mean it didn't come with a turbo, so that can't be the problem
320d most definitely has a turbo. All modern diesels are turbo'd.

I would get it properly diagnosed at least before attempting to replace anything, as turbos are expensive so you don't want to go around replacing it unless it's definitely the issue.

DIY or garage depends on your comfort level. I don't know for the N47 specifically, but the turbo is usually pretty nestled in there so you will have to take a lot of things out to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:06 AM   #4
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

I stand corrected. 320d indeed is a turbo. as the gentleman above me stated, get it checked first. a turbo replacement is quite expensive, so you want to be sure it's them before moving forward. that said a high pitched siren sound is generally turbo related. GL
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
Quote:
320d most definitely has a turbo. All modern diesels are turbo'd.

I would get it properly diagnosed at least before attempting to replace anything, as turbos are expensive so you don't want to go around replacing it unless it's definitely the issue.

DIY or garage depends on your comfort level. I don't know for the N47 specifically, but the turbo is usually pretty nestled in there so you will have to take a lot of things out to get to it.
Modern? It's a 2006. But interesting...didn't know they were turbo'd.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Was I the only one who started laughing and kinda hoped he didn't have a turbo? lol

Anyways OP...pull some codes for us
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
Was I the only one who started laughing and kinda hoped he didn't have a turbo? lol

Anyways OP...pull some codes for us
I don't know how to... is that where something OBD is used? If so can you recommend me a good but reasonably priced one?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

What kind of noise? Can you post a video or audio clip? The codes would be better, but this may be easier for you to do.

Also, just throwing this out as a possibility: busted charge pipe. Pretty easy fix. Of course it doesn't (easily) explain the poor revs past 1k rpm.

I know the very small turbo diesels are VERY low power without the boost....
      07-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
What kind of noise? Can you post a video or audio clip? The codes would be better, but this may be easier for you to do.

Also, just throwing this out as a possibility: busted charge pipe. Pretty easy fix. Of course it doesn't (easily) explain the poor revs past 1k rpm.

I know the very small turbo diesels are VERY low power without the boost....
OK will do, going to film it on my phone now and see if I can post it on Youtube or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Here is the video. What do you guys think? Any chance I don't need a new turbo?

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

that sounds like money, you'll have to pay to get the turbos replaced. Sorry bud!
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
BlindWolf187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
A 2006 is still considered a modern car. I wouldn't consider it "not modern" until the late 90's probably. Car technology doesn't change that fast.
      07-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #13
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

That sounds like turbo while unfortunately. I would not drive it as it is; metal flakes from the failed bearing can enter the oil.
      07-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
that sounds like money, you'll have to pay to get the turbos replaced. Sorry bud!
Not something I need at the moment... but it has to be done... will have to ask my manager for some overtime...

Anyway, I found this step-by-step on replacing it: http://www.bmwforums.info/general-gu...n2-engine.html It looks doable except where it needs two pairs of hands to get the new turbo on. Also I think I left behind the axle stands when moving to my new place.

So I came up with a plan... There is this guy close to where I live who fixes old bangers on the road outside his house (on a cul-de-sac). Normally I would not trust him (I would not trust a garage too tbh) but I'm thinking of asking him to do the repair with me present. I'll print out all step-by-step instructions, buy the turbo and all other things I need (oil pipes/hoses, gaskets, oil, oil filter, air filter, brake and clutch cleaner) and he can do the job while I watch and give him a hand when needed. This way I will know it's been done properly and maybe it will be a bit cheaper. Also I want to see what that car is like. I bought it recently, rather cheap, but without any history. So if I see that the air filters are very old I will know it's been neglected and needs some urgent tlc.

But first I have to find out which engine I have. I was looking on Wiki but the info there looks inaccurate... The engine for my car is listed as M47TU2D20 but on forums I see many mentions of M47N2 for my age 320D. Googling M47N2 brings very little info, it's almost as if officially it doesn't exist... Only on forums

Could you guys tell me how to find out which engine is in my car? Ideally without driving to a garage or dealership as I don't want to cause any more damage to it. At a glance my engine looks just like the one in the linked tutorial but does that mean I have the M47N2 or does the M47TU2D20 look the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
Not something I need at the moment... but it has to be done... will have to ask my manager for some overtime...

Anyway, I found this step-by-step on replacing it: http://www.bmwforums.info/general-gu...n2-engine.html It looks doable except where it needs two pairs of hands to get the new turbo on. Also I think I left behind the axle stands when moving to my new place.

So I came up with a plan... There is this guy close to where I live who fixes old bangers on the road outside his house (on a cul-de-sac). Normally I would not trust him (I would not trust a garage too tbh) but I'm thinking of asking him to do the repair with me present. I'll print out all step-by-step instructions, buy the turbo and all other things I need (oil pipes/hoses, gaskets, oil, oil filter, air filter, brake and clutch cleaner) and he can do the job while I watch and give him a hand when needed. This way I will know it's been done properly and maybe it will be a bit cheaper. Also I want to see what that car is like. I bought it recently, rather cheap, but without any history. So if I see that the air filters are very old I will know it's been neglected and needs some urgent tlc.

But first I have to find out which engine I have. I was looking on Wiki but the info there looks inaccurate... The engine for my car is listed as M47TU2D20 but on forums I see many mentions of M47N2 for my age 320D. Googling M47N2 brings very little info, it's almost as if officially it doesn't exist... Only on forums

Could you guys tell me how to find out which engine is in my car? Ideally without driving to a garage or dealership as I don't want to cause any more damage to it. At a glance my engine looks just like the one in the linked tutorial but does that mean I have the M47N2 or does the M47TU2D20 look the same?
Based on experience of most owners who wanted to save with no experience, I'd say you might end up spending more money than bringing it to the dealer. Also, there are indy shops that charges less than dealership so you might want to know the numbers first before deciding to go with a person you don't trust.

If something goes wrong, scenario would be: two of you end up with nasty relationship, possibly lawsuit, threats, taking things personally, etc. Bottom line would be - No working car for you.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #16
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Yeah, that sounds like turbo bearings. Kind of sucks man.

Still, it's just one turbo.

Here in the States a replacement small turbo would cost (just to buy the turbo) something like $800--this is an extremely rough ballpark figure. Installation...depends on just how painful it is to get to the unit.
Get it done by a pro.
      07-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #17
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWolf187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
A 2006 is still considered a modern car. I wouldn't consider it "not modern" until the late 90's probably. Car technology doesn't change that fast.
Makes sense! Meaning the major changes- got it.
Appreciate 0