F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i M Sport Questions
GetBMWParts

07-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
highway30
Rep
Drives: Looking

340i M Sport Questions

I’ve been dithering between a loaded up 340i and the M3 (see http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1285594 ) but am almost ready to land on the 340i, and have a few specific questions that folks on this forum might help me with or provide experiences about. I’m getting ready to hit a few dealerships; all require some travel so I want to be prepared...

Thinking 340i, M Sport package, Track Handling package, Tech package and Lighting. RWD...

1. Most, almost all, of the cars I’ve owned have been manual transmissions. I’m probably not the best shifter technically, but I like the fun and engagement of it. Knee issues on the left side have convinced me the next car needs to be auto. I love the idea of the DCT in the M series (my wife’s Golf has the similar DSG, so I get it). But I’d like some thoughts on the ZF8. Sounds pretty smart and aggressive in sport mode and auto, but when I want to take over in ‘manual’ how’s it do? Does it really let me decide when to shift, or does it override me anyway when it thinks I rev too high? Does it feel engaging, or just busywork? Happy with it?

2. Wheels are my other concern. I may be the odd man out, but not really a fan of how big wheels feel OR look. With the Track Handling Package and RWD, can I get 18s? Sounds like there aren’t too many fans of the run flats. What recommendations do you have?

3. Worth it to go RWD (here in upper-ish Midwest, lots are filled with xDrive)? Or just marginal differences? (to be clear, I'm not 'worried' about RWD, but should it be a deal breaker if onlyAWD available)

4. Last, perhaps if you’ve bought/ordered recently, when I use the BYO tool on the website, I seem to have more cosmetic options with xDrive (i.e. black kidney grill, etc.) Those don’t show up in the RWD config, but I’m assuming that’s not an issue working with a dealer if I want those things?

Thanks for the time...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Used to drive manual exclusively but nowadays with stop and go city crawls I prefer the auto with the paddles so I can play manual when I want to and turn it over to a capable auto most of the time.

Big wheels look great feel aweful esp w/ runflats.. prefer square 18s if I could but my config build couldnt accomodate so will live with it and get aftermarket.

Just couldnt bring myself to buy a BMW configured for the track and have AWD.. off it went.. snow tires and summers for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Mine is a 6MT but the ZF8 gets great reviews. Others can offer thoughts here.

You can get the track handling package with 18s and non-run flat Michelin PSSs. That's what I went with and I love the setup. Not everyone likes those wheels though, the orbit grey 398 wheels.

RWD/AWD is personal preference. My opinion - a fully loaded RWD 340i is a bit of an odd creature as the price point is pretty close to an F80. If you are comfortable with RWD just go F80. If I didn't want AWD for my climate/situation that's what I would have done.

And you should be able to add all the same options as far as port installed M Performance stuff to either a RWD or AWD build. The configurator website isn't very good for showing your options, you can browse M Performance stuff by model at the shopbmwusa website.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway30 View Post
1. Most, almost all, of the cars I’ve owned have been manual transmissions. I’m probably not the best shifter technically, but I like the fun and engagement of it. Knee issues on the left side have convinced me the next car needs to be auto. I love the idea of the DCT in the M series (my wife’s Golf has the similar DSG, so I get it). But I’d like some thoughts on the ZF8. Sounds pretty smart and aggressive in sport mode and auto, but when I want to take over in ‘manual’ how’s it do? Does it really let me decide when to shift, or does it override me anyway when it thinks I rev too high? Does it feel engaging, or just busywork? Happy with it?
I drove a manual for many years before ZF8 became the first automatic I was willing on drive (on my former F10 535). The gearbox on the 340i is actually better than the 535 was; they've further tuned it.
It's quick to shift, and a quick stab of the throttle will downshift to the optimal gear. The 8 gears mean I don't really use the paddles, but occasionally I will. Honestly it works well enough that the paddles are superfluous. It works great in manual, except you cant rapidly click it 3 times and have it drop from 6->3 (for example). That's the one thing I miss, which the DCT on the Golf does (as does the PDK on Porsches).
[/quote]

Quote:
2. Wheels are my other concern. I may be the odd man out, but not really a fan of how big wheels feel OR look. With the Track Handling Package and RWD, can I get 18s? Sounds like there aren’t too many fans of the run flats. What recommendations do you have?
Track handling with non-run flats is what you want in that case. It's what I did too, but more because of the feel than the look.

Quote:
3. Worth it to go RWD (here in upper-ish Midwest, lots are filled with xDrive)? Or just marginal differences? (to be clear, I'm not 'worried' about RWD, but should it be a deal breaker if onlyAWD available)
I went with the xDrive because it doesn't get super cold in the winters here and I wanted to run A/S instead of winters since the warmer days would chew up winters. Handling wise they are very very close, but the suspension is a little cushier, even with the Track Handling Package (adaptive suspension). Not wallowy at all, just a little more float over some surfaces. I would not get the xDrive without the Adaptive Suspension though, that really ruins the feel for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
Maxpnc
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumbringer View Post
It works great in manual, except you cant rapidly click it 3 times and have it drop from 6->3 (for example).
You can hold the downshift paddle and it will shift straight to the lowest gear available. It won't shift you into red line but right into the power band. You could also hold upshift paddle and have it return to auto.
Appreciate 2
      07-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
Maxpnc
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Quote:
1. But I’d like some thoughts on the ZF8. Sounds pretty smart and aggressive in sport mode and auto, but when I want to take over in ‘manual’ how’s it do? Does it really let me decide when to shift, or does it override me anyway when it thinks I rev too high? Does it feel engaging, or just busywork? Happy with it?
If the car is in Sport+ or if the transmission is in Sport mode, the car will not upshift for you (and bounce off the limiter all day). Otherwise, a bit after you shift with the paddle, it will return to auto mode. They try to be smart about this too, so if you are going uphill/downhill and manually downshift for more torque/engine braking, it will hold the gear as well.

Quote:
Yes, 18s with Michelin pilot super sport summers. Adaptive suspension is a must in my opinion.

Quote:
I had a 328xi and now a 340i. It is a massive difference in the handling characteristic, the power steering sensation out of a corner is simply fantastic. I just love the RWD driving dynamic comparing to AWD. BMW AWD is rear biased and is fantastic too, however, it got a bit boring for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Here's my 2 cents:

1) If you put the car into Sport or Sport+ mode, and move the shifter to the left...the 8AT will not shift up until you tell it to. This is the closest to manual you can get, and I like it. I use the console shifter mostly, even though I have paddles. However, when letting the car shift...even when in Sport or Sport+...sometimes there's a delay when you mash the throttle, and it feels like an old time slush box. Not always though...this is maddening to me.

2) Did a short drive in 340i with Track Pack and didn't think the suspension settings made a big difference when changing modes (others have said the settings do make a big difference, but this wasn't my experience in one example 340i). I have the 704 static Sport suspension and like it. If you decide on RWD, you can save some money and skip the Track pack. (there are other considerations for Track pack, just addressing the suspension)

3) Never tried AWD. I specifically wanted RWD experience.

4) Can't help here, other than the online configurators are a subset of the actual possibilities.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #8
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

#3. with xdrive you're stick with a very high ride height without 3rd party suspensions. if snow isn't a problem, i'd go RWD
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

+1 for RWD. Trust us, you'll enjoy the car much more. The 8 speed is excellent in every mode. 6MT is more fun for sure, but if your knees bother you, you'll probably enjoy the 8 speed more in your situation.
      07-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
highway30
Rep

Thanks for all the responses. Quick and great advice and insights. Exactly what I was looking for!

I like the idea of the 398 Michelins. How much higher does the AWD sit than the RWD? (Pretty settled on RWD, just curious)...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
IIRC 10mm. It's not drastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If your body is still up to it ... the six speed manual is the way to go The auto is pretty good for an auto and you won't be disappointed unless you're still capable of using three pedals in the floor.

Xdrive vs rwd - If you live in snow/ice you'll appreciate the AWD
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

How are you planning to use it? I assume it's your all purpose, year round car? Any access to another car for other duties? If your considering an M3, I assume you want a sports car? or what are you really hoping to get out of this purchase? How are your local road conditions for normal driving? Any track use at all? Etc...

1. ZF8 gets raves, I have not spent much time with it and a 6 cylinder, but I expect it will work very well unless you are going to track it or want max performance.

2. As mentioned, track handling package has staggered 18" non run flats, but as long as you get the sport and don't option the 19"s you can swap tires on the 400M wheels which are 18" and look great.

3. Yes, RWD, seriously, it would be a long way away from an M3 if you got x-drive. As long as you are happy with a second set of snow wheels/tires it is really worth it.

4. I don't believe there are any appearance options limitations with RWD over AWD

What other sports cars or sports sedans have you owned? If you are familiar with sports suspensions and your roads are not full of potholes, I would recommend skipping the track package and not optioning the adaptive suspension. I think the 704 M suspension is better. At least research this before you pull the trigger and see what is best for your use.

If you want the most sport you can get and don't want the driver assistance stuff, get an M3 - price/value is pretty good over a 340i with all the sport features being extra.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT

Last edited by metallicpea; 07-21-2016 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
IIRC 10mm. It's not drastic.
10mm over the standard RWD
20mm over RWD adaptive m suspension and sports static suspension
30mm over RWD sports status plus m performance suspension kit
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
10mm over the standard RWD
20mm over RWD adaptive m suspension and sports static suspension
30mm over RWD sports status plus m performance suspension kit
No, it's 10mm total. The standard RWD and AWD are the same height. 10mm drop for M performance or Adaptive on RWD but not on AWD.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #16
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, it's 10mm total. The standard RWD and AWD are the same height. 10mm drop for M performance or Adaptive on RWD but not on AWD.
Thinking you're right... my bad after reading another forum
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #17
highway30
Rep

Thanks for more input. @metallicpea's questions: This will be my only car, and certainly the one we use for road trips, most driving, etc. All purpose and year around.

Yep, looking for a sports sedan, and have had a long-time love affair from afar with BMW and the M3...still seriously considering the M3. Live in rural midwest, lots of highways of questionable quality, lots of in-town driving @25mph. Very little curves on the road. No near by track, and probably won't track the car. But I do want some fun.

Have owned small sports cars in the past (supra, currently VW GTI), clocked a lot of miles in a C6 vette and just sold a too-frequently used '63 Sting Ray to fund. So I get stiff rides, twitchy trans, etc.

M3 was my starting point and emotionally where my head wanders. Realistically, I worry that I won't tap it's potential, might cause trouble in town, and the roads will be uncomfortable for both me and the car. But it sure is sexy. Maybe next time (maybe this time...dunno yet).

More than price difference, I'm really focused on getting something that I'll enjoy right now, looks good, handles longish road trips and provides as much fun as possible when I'm not feeling responsible.

All the data here is helpful. Thanks much. I believe I'll be able to try both (340i & M3) this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #18
metallicpea
Major
Rep

That's a tough one. If it were my everything car, I'd go manual M3 with leather dash and no other options. I need access to a manual trans.

If I were you, I'd drive the M3 and check, but assume it's too harsh for your use. Probably recommend a RWD, auto 340i sport without the adaptive suspension and ditch the run flats. There was a recent post comparing this set up. I'll see if I can find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
metallicpea
Major
Rep

Check bones thread about a 340 via PCD lower down this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

340i x-drive will be my choice with M-package and 8-AT. You can shift manually (shifter or paddle shifters) or leave it in Sport Mode. Love Sport+ (summer) with no much rain, otherwise Sport always unless bumper-to-bumper. Add JB4 and call it a day

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 0