E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 330D diff replacement

07-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
Howard Slater
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d Msport

330D diff replacement

Hi, can anyone help, my diff became noisy and i bought a second hand one from ebay, unfortunately I ordered one for a bolt on prop shaft, and mine has a three hole flange connection. I've seen some pictures online of diffs that look like the bolt on prop style have adapters to a three hole flange, anyone know anything about these?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

I have no personally experience with actual change out of the flange, but I think I have read that the flange can be swapped, Just make sure you do up the nut with the proper torque for correct bearing preload. When I regreased my flange when it was making a clicking noise I index marked the nut so it could be but back to its original depth. This might not work since you are changing out the flange and will be working with different dimensions.

There is a crush washer in behind there somewhere and there is a specific procedure to torque the nut on a typical diff. I can't see there being too much difference with an E90 diff. I also thought I read somewhere that BMW doesn't publish any tech info regarding the assembly of the diff.

This is for a different series, but give you the idea of what needs to be done:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=740368
Appreciate 0