F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 428i Suspension Suggestions
Studio RSR

07-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
MidLifeX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 428i

428i Suspension Suggestions

Putting together modification plans for my M Sport 428i GC. Stock vehicle has M Sport Suspension and wheels are 19in OEM 403's wrapped in Eagle F1 RF (Rear 255/35/19; Front 225/40/19). Looking for input and ideas for future mods. Disclaimer: I am not a racer. I am looking give the vehicle a little aggressive look and handling. Wanting to keep the ride comfort as much as possible. My driveway will not allow me to have a very low vehicle without scrapping. I DO NOT like having to approach speedbumps or driveways completely sideways

-Did some research on the HR Spring and it states that it only lowers the vehicle .5/.6 inches. Has anyone installed these with the MSport suspension? What are your thoughts? Did you replace the shocks as well?

-Rims and tires. As much as I would like to buy new rims and tires, I have to wait just a little bit to get the ones that I have been eyeing. With that said, with my current set up would spacers something that I should consider? Pro's and con's on the their applications please. What would be the best make to consider and what size? If I replace the springs I do not want to risk rubbing. I have kids that ride with my all the time therefore the last thing I need is rubbing issue if I have people in the back seat.

Thanks for allowing me to ask all these long winded questions. Thanks in advanced for your input and suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

the likelihood of having problems with just springs is very high and is evident from the numerous threads and posts on here. although some people have not had any problems with just springs, i've read enough on here that have had problems, so my recommendation is to spend money the M-Performance suspension or good coilovers such as Bilstien or KW or Ohlins if you can afford it. nothing worse than problems requiring removal/re-install/alignment multiple times to resolve.

on my 2015 428i Gran Coupe i went with M-Performance suspension which offers a 10mm drop from M-Sport height and damped for much better handling.

do your homework as M-Performance is not offered for Gran Coupe however I took a chance with the pre-Jan 2015 kit and it all worked out, straight swap, no problems whatsoever. the strut mount may be different on the from-Jan 2015-on kit so you may need that one. not sure why the pre is $200 cheaper...

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
the likelihood of having problems with just springs is very high and is evident from the numerous threads and posts on here. although some people have not had any problems with just springs, i've read enough on here that have had problems, so my recommendation is to spend money the M-Performance suspension or good coilovers such as Bilstien or KW or Ohlins if you can afford it. nothing worse than problems requiring removal/re-install/alignment multiple times to resolve.

on my 2015 428i Gran Coupe i went with M-Performance suspension which offers a 10mm drop from M-Sport height and damped for much better handling.

do your homework as M-Performance is not offered for Gran Coupe however I took a chance with the pre-Jan 2015 kit and it all worked out, straight swap, no problems whatsoever. the strut mount may be different on the from-Jan 2015-on kit so you may need that one. not sure why the pre is $200 cheaper...

I ordered my car with the M Performance suspension and it was definitely lower than the other 4's on the lot. I did my research and most of the suspension related products are earmarked for the coupe. I know others have used said products with no issues, but I like to ensure that products have been engineered and tested for my specific vehicle.

The only one that I found is the HR Sports springs that states will lower a M Sport Suspension equipped F36 by .5/.6.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeX View Post
I ordered my car with the M Performance suspension and it was definitely lower than the other 4's on the lot. I did my research and most of the suspension related products are earmarked for the coupe. I know others have used said products with no issues, but I like to ensure that products have been engineered and tested for my specific vehicle.

The only one that I found is the HR Sports springs that states will lower a M Sport Suspension equipped F36 by .5/.6.
just making sure...there is the base suspension, M-sport suspension and M-Performance Suspension. you ordered your car with M-Performance suspension??? and you want to swap the springs on the M-Performance suspension to H&R to make it even lower?

i've seen more problems with H&R springs than any other on here even though it has been R&D'd for specific vehicle. anytime you lower the car with just springs the stock strut usually wears prematurely and eventually bottoms out from additional preload and unmatched damping. you can do the Dinan cut bumpstop thing to help out with that.

that is my opinion/recommendation but do as you wish

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 07-21-2016 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
just making sure...there is the base suspension, M-sport suspension and M-Performance Suspension. you ordered your car with M-Performance suspension??? and you want to swap the springs on the M-Performance suspension to H&R to make it even lower?
Hmmmm.....let me double check. I thought the only options were the M Sport Suspension and the Adaptive M Suspension. This is why I ask the question cuz I have no clue
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:

i've seen more problems with H&R springs than any other on here even though it has been R&D'd for specific vehicle. anytime you lower the car with just springs the stock strut usually wears prematurely and eventually bottoms out from additional preload and unmatched damping. you can do the Dinan cut bumpstop thing to help out with that.

that is my opinion/recommendation but do as you wish
OK...took a look at my build sheet and I stand corrected....I do not have the M Performance Suspension....I only have the M Sport Suspension. I also took a look at your thread where you installed the M Performance Suspension How do you like the ride. Are you in Oahu? Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can take a closer look at your set up. Looks like a route I might want to consider
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
OK...took a look at my build sheet and I stand corrected....I do not have the M Performance Suspension....I only have the M Sport Suspension. I also took a look at your thread where you installed the M Performance Suspension How do you like the ride. Are you in Oahu? Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can take a closer look at your set up. Looks like a route I might want to consider
the ride is firmer, but not harsh, on all settings and definitely more planted while cornering.

yes, on oahu, no prob with meeting one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
the ride is firmer, but not harsh, on all settings and definitely more planted while cornering.

yes, on oahu, no prob with meeting one of these days.

Awwwright...thanks for the info. BTW I read in your thread that a friend of your installed the suspension for you....would he consider doing another one $?

Im in Kapolei
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Awwwright...thanks for the info. BTW I read in your thread that a friend of your installed the suspension for you....would he consider doing another one $?

Im in Kapolei
because of liability i doubt he will, i'll run it by him when i talk to him again.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

After reading and reading other post regarding suspension I ran across AC Schnitzer. They have a GC Specific coil and full suspension set up. Does anyone have the sport suspension kit installed?

http://www.acschnitzer-us.com/en/bmw...uspension.html
Appreciate 0