EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

07-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Got an amazing opportunity to meet Randy Pobst while doing the motor trend best drivers car test yesterday. I got to see a few of these being put through the their paces. Missed the M4 GTS lapping session but it looked sweet in full US dress (front reflectors). Here are a few pics.
Attached Images

60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 5
      07-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Great cars. I like the M4 GTS most.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You're on the right forum then ;-)
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Some Germans

This years lineup is very legit....any impressions of the test you can share?

For those interested I follow pobst, commas, and lieberman on insta gram and they have been posting some cool stuff, but really nice pics, it's cool to see behind the scenes.

--oh and tell the guys, the rear winglets are backwards and upside down compared to the normal euro spec cars (that first thing all of us changed when we took delivery of our cars it putting them on properly) and the rear wing is also set at its highway or stall angle!

They should crank it up to maximum attack

Last edited by Bashful; 07-21-2016 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Not really and good catch on the winglets only noticed it after you pointed it out...... I got some video of the interviews. For sure the Mustang sounded the best! Audi sounded like an A8 until he got on it then wow, that v10 sound and pops. Amg sounded good and was fast. He complained a bit about the tranny not being perfect on the track. I think the Viper sounded the worst close to the 911. pdk best tranny.
I wish I coulda stayed longer ......
Apparently there was stuff going up on Instagram.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful
This years lineup is very legit....any impressions of the test you can share?

For those interested I follow pobst, commas, and lieberman on insta gram and they have been posting some cool stuff, but really nice pics, it's cool to see behind the scenes.

--oh and tell the guys, the rear winglets are backwards and upside down compared to the normal euro spec cars (that first thing all of us changed when we took delivery of our cars it putting them on properly) and the rear wing is also set at its highway or stall angle!

They should crank it up to maximum attack
So you can change how the rear wing is placed?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
So you can change how the rear wing is placed?

Yes there are different settings.

-NA cars seem to be delivered with the side winglets on backwards and upside down as discussed above as well as the wing is set to a stall angle to aid in straight line speed, reduced noise I imagine, rearward visibility and I guess gas mileage....so I just flipped the side winglets back to euro spec mounting which I imagine is the way it should be... no big deal. and then I personally put my wing at max attack angle (there are different angles you can set)...because race car

....not really worried about gas mileage in this one you know what I mean....

I leave my front splitter in its stored position...although my dealership did have it out for redelivery, I had it stowed back for city driving. I'll pull it out at the track.

...it does surprise me that Motor Trend didn't have the wing set properly and the winglets on backwards as well as the stowed front splitter in those pics...I hope they changed that for the track. As I mentioned in a different thread, I missed taking my GTS to my booked track days due to a minor redelivery delay...but my understanding from 2 friends who have already had multiple track sessions.....the front splitter makes a very large difference when hard lapping
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
teflon
Registered
Rep
Drives: four wheels and an engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful View Post
Yes there are different settings.

-NA cars seem to be delivered with the side winglets on backwards and upside down as discussed above as well as the wing is set to a stall angle to aid in straight line speed, reduced noise I imagine, rearward visibility and I guess gas mileage....so I just flipped the side winglets back to euro spec mounting which I imagine is the way it should be... no big deal. and then I personally put my wing at max attack angle (there are different angles you can set)...because race car

...it does surprise me that Motor Trend didn't have the wing set properly and the winglets on backwards as well as the stowed front splitter in those pics...I hope they changed that for the track. As I mentioned in a different thread, I missed taking my GTS to my booked track days due to a minor redelivery delay...but my understanding from 2 friends who have already had multiple track sessions.....the front splitter makes a very large difference when hard lapping

From page 19 of the GTS handbook:
Quote:
Note: In the US there is a specification for the minimum viewable angle for the center mounted brake light, so the positioning of the rear spoiler winglets had to be repositioned so the visibility of the brake light was not impaired. Therefore, the winglets on all US spec vehicles will be the reverse of the ECE vehicles. This has no functional difference for the aerodynamics of the rear spoiler.
Greg A

Last edited by teflon; 07-22-2016 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #9
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon View Post
From page 19 of the GTS handbook:

Greg A
yeah don't know if there really is a functional difference or not with the winglets....irrespective of what they write there....I mean if the winglets on a plane were reversed and placed upside down would that really make no difference?? I dunno. but yes I was told at the Welt on delivery it was a light visibility issue....we all had them switched to euro.

But the front extension on the splitter I am told makes a big difference on the track. one of the owners who had his 991 GT3 RS and his M4 GTS at the track for multiple consecutive days of lapping and testing, absolutely found a difference on turn in with the splitter deployed vs stowed.

Walter Haupt the lead technical engineer on the GTS, recommended to me max attack rear wing and front splitter and if possible lower the front to pitch the car forward when on the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 01:52 AM   #10
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
yeah don't know if there really is a functional difference or not with the winglets....irrespective of what they write there....I mean if the winglets on a plane were reversed and placed upside down would that really make no difference?? I dunno. but yes I was told at the Welt on delivery it was a light visibility issue....we all had them switched to euro.

But the front extension on the splitter I am told makes a big difference on the track. one of the owners who had his 991 GT3 RS and his M4 GTS at the track for multiple consecutive days of lapping and testing, absolutely found a difference on turn in with the splitter deployed vs stowed.

Walter Haupt the lead technical engineer on the GTS, recommended to me max attack rear wing and front splitter and if possible lower the front to pitch the car forward when on the track.
Surprisingly the GTS is the standout for me of that group, has a certain presence.

Plane wings are a huge difference if you're referring to horizontal wings, and as far as vertical wings, this also has an immense impact on lateral stability. They are specifically designed for a plane's aero and engine speed capability as well as altitude. Were you to modify a wing's angle on a plane, there would be huge/dramatic turbulence issues.

On a vehicle, I would imagine that while there's an aerodynamic impact, it may not be sufficient to be notable because of the speed needed and whether the vehicle was engineered specifically around that aerodynamic detail, like an F1 car. The GTS's wing was an add on to an already engineered vehicle to be used without it.
The DTM cars come to mind for what a vehicle built around it's aero properties can look like. But I would likely do the same as you and flip them(assuming I were one of the blessed few owners), although they do look cool reversed.

I'm only speaking of the small side winglets.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 07-23-2016 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #11
2manycars
Rep
Drives: 1990 325i [2.7]

Quote:
...it does surprise me that Motor Trend didn't have the wing set properly and the winglets on backwards as well as the stowed front splitter in those pics...I hope they changed that for the track.
Hey guys,
Jason from Motor Trend here. We saw that. But we typically drive/lap the cars as delivered to the customer (i.e. Complying with DOT laws etc). That said, there was a tech from BMW NA, and he set the car up as they saw fit. That meant the harder shock settings and the splitter out and forward.

So yeah - that's what BMW recommended.
J
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Bashful
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Hey guys,
Jason from Motor Trend here. We saw that. But we typically drive/lap the cars as delivered to the customer (i.e. Complying with DOT laws etc). That said, there was a tech from BMW NA, and he set the car up as they saw fit. That meant the harder shock settings and the splitter out and forward.

So yeah - that's what BMW recommended.
J

Nice reply Jason..... I also liked Johnny's on instagram..... where he wrote:

'No we're Idiots'

Loud and clear from both of you!

Keep up the amazing content!
Appreciate 0