F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Financial discriminating against small businesses? Need advice
Studio RSR

07-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
F30guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Convertible

BMW Financial discriminating against small businesses? Need advice

I went to purchase a new car with the new grad discount of $1000. I had my diploma which is what was required. The dealer submitted it and BMW responded saying they also need a current paycheck. I'm self employed, so I actually had paychecks from my clients because they weren't deposited yet, but BMW financial wouldn't accept them.

BMW financial was 100% okay with giving me the lease, but the only issue was with the new grad discount. So I paid the money assuming I'm going to call BMW financial and work this out.

I called, they transferred me from BMW financial to customer relations, then back to BMW financial and basically I was told I can't talk to that department.

Dealer even told me that night that it wasn't the dealers fault and they even showed me the response from BMW financial.

What can I do at this point? Its clearly discrimination. I offered to show my account, my deposits, I showed them my checks from the past two days from business customers, I even told them I will get the year to date from the two biggest companies I work for that make up a majority of my annual salary. They refused.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Ok, but do you have an actual LLP, LLC, or Corporation set up? Otherwise you're just a freelancer getting checks, not an actual business.
Appreciate 3
      07-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
F30guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Ok, but do you have an actual LLP, LLC, or Corporation set up? Otherwise you're just a freelancer getting checks, not an actual business.
Either way, its a business... You don't have to necessarily have a corporation, llc, etc... to be called a business. They didn't care either way, they didn't even ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Your mistake was paying the money assuming you would work it out later and get a refund. Never do that. Where's your leverage?
Appreciate 4
      07-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30guy View Post
Either way, its a business... You don't have to necessarily have a corporation, llc, etc... to be called a business. They didn't care either way, they didn't even ask.
Sure, it's a business according to yourself, not according to the government though.

If your business has never filed taxes under a LLC, sole proprietorship, etc. then you are not considered a business under the eyes of the law.
Appreciate 14
smithf802808.50
      07-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

You should really set up an LLC (or whatever is appropriate in your case) to protect yourself, regardless of the BMW discount.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

BMW needs a lesson on incentive programs. They are suppose to get you to buy the brand, not piss you off. Your situation is a good example. Coupling the grad discount to your pay is nuts. Either you qualify for the lease or you don't. That should be a separate issue.

When I bought my F30, I got a loyalty discount for buying another BMW. However, I only got the discount if I financed the car through BMW Financial. What does financing have to do with brand loyalty? Yet, BMW would not give me the loyalty discount unless I financed through them. All it did was piss me off. What kind of incentive and brand loyalty are they trying to create with that program.

I hope you work it out with them. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

Quote:
In order for you to declare yourself as a business it MUST be filed under a business tax ID. Most cases this results in an LLC or Sole proprietorship. (Assuming that you are just a small business). You may claim to be a business all you want but until you pay taxes under a business tax id, you are not seen as a business.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle
BMW needs a lesson on incentive programs. They are suppose to get you to buy the brand, not piss you off. Your situation is a good example. Coupling the grad discount to your pay is nuts. Either you qualify for the lease or you don't. That should be a separate issue.

When I bought my F30, I got a loyalty discount for buying another BMW. However, I only got the discount if I financed the car through BMW Financial. What does financing have to do with brand loyalty? Yet, BMW would not give me the loyalty discount unless I financed through them. All it did was piss me off. What kind of incentive and brand loyalty are they trying to create with that program.

I hope you work it out with them. Good luck.
Their leases are massively subsidized to begin with and typically laden with incentives to get you on the needle, so to speak. Just did a loaded sport wagon with $4k off sticker, additional $1k loyalty, and a 63% residual which is very high. Combine that with their usual pull ahead incentives and it's tough to switch once you go down the BMW leasing path.

Best case in that scenario is you start your lease in Dec and the programs are always great then.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
If you are going to run a business you need to be official and more importantly you need to understand how businesses think. BMW Financial has policies and needs proof before giving you a discount. That's how the business world works. You have given them no tangible proof that you are earning a legitimate income.

By the way your thread title is misleading.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #11
89alpinem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16'320i,89'M3,08'X3,12'128i

I bet any manufacturers grad discount would not have accepted what you were turning in not just BMW. As all others have said if you were set up legally you wouldn't have had any issues
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

You sound like such a whiny millennial. You didn't learn much while getting that precious degree did you? Give you a hint: try not acting so entitled. Then try reading; BMW credit is based on credit history and employment. Sounds like you have neither. And also try a new thread title and approach. Seriously? Discrimination? "Oh, I have no credit and no job and I can't buy a brand new BMW for 0% interest" I can see Fox News picking your story up any minute.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken
You sound like such a whiny millennial. You didn't learn much while getting that precious degree did you? Give you a hint: try not acting so entitled. Then try reading; BMW credit is based on credit history and employment. Sounds like you have neither. And also try a new thread title and approach. Seriously? Discrimination? "Oh, I have no credit and no job and I can't buy a brand new BMW for 0% interest" I can see Fox News picking your story up any minute.
That's why a lot of companies have college programs. Not for the discounts but just for kids with no credit. That's precisely why they need to verify employment.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Sure, it's a business according to yourself, not according to the government though.

If your business has never filed taxes under a LLC, sole proprietorship, etc. then you are not considered a business under the eyes of the law.
I'm not sure the relevance of this fact. If the OP's issue is that he's entitled to a new grad discount, unless there's some issue on his qualification, why does it matter whether he's an employee, a sole proprietor, an LLC, an LP, a corp, or just a lazy-ass bum with no job? Unless the parameters for the new grad discount say Uncle Sam has to qualify you in a certain way how you pay your taxes, I'm not clear why this even matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
I totally agree that calling this "discrimination" is just ranting and raving. But if he can't verify employment and income, then he should not get approved for the lease, right? And if he is approved, and he is truly a "recent grad", why should BMW deny him his $1,000 discount?

I'm going to say we are missing some facts here.....
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I went to purchase a new car with the new grad discount of $1000. I had my diploma which is what was required. The dealer submitted it and BMW responded saying they also need a current paycheck. I'm self employed, so I actually had paychecks from my clients because they weren't deposited yet, but BMW financial wouldn't accept them.

BMW financial was 100% okay with giving me the lease, but the only issue was with the new grad discount. So I paid the money assuming I'm going to call BMW financial and work this out.

I called, they transferred me from BMW financial to customer relations, then back to BMW financial and basically I was told I can't talk to that department.

Dealer even told me that night that it wasn't the dealers fault and they even showed me the response from BMW financial.

What can I do at this point? Its clearly discrimination. I offered to show my account, my deposits, I showed them my checks from the past two days from business customers, I even told them I will get the year to date from the two biggest companies I work for that make up a majority of my annual salary. They refused.
By the way, college grad or advanced degree? Because if you are a recent college grad, you've been on this forum since you were 13.

Did they deny because recent grad doesn't apply to advanced degrees? If I go and take some courses at Trump U, can I go to the dealer with my diploma and get a discount? There must be some other requirement then just having a diploma that was not met.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #16
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

LOL at "discrimination". Dudes trying to buy BMWs, the essence of the downtrodden and the oppressed.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #17
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
LOL at "discrimination". Dudes trying to buy BMWs, the essence of the downtrodden and the oppressed.
GATTICA! GATTICA!
Appreciate 3
      07-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #18
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Wow I Can Read

I guess reading comprehension is no longer required at college?
Quote:
Eligibility Requirements1:
You've earned an undergraduate, graduate or associate's degree from an accredited college or university within the previous 24 months OR you are eligible to graduate within the next 6 months and have a verifiable offer of employment.

You have at least 6 months of credit history with no major derogatory entries.

You have a debt-to-income ratio of 20% or less.
Let them eat CAKE!

Quote:
Offer Disclaimer
1. Offer subject to credit approval through BMW Financial Services and verification of graduation and employment. Recent graduate means graduation from an accredited college or university with a doctorate, graduate, undergraduate, or associate's degree earned within the previous 24 months, or is eligible to graduate within the next 6 months and has a verifiable offer of employment.
I can't meet all of the requirements, so I believe I will sue BMW for discrimination. Discrimination against people without verifiable employment or reading skills. Class action? Who's in?
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Boy if you think this is discrimination you must have had a hell of a sheltered life.
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Eligibility Requirements1:
You've earned an undergraduate, graduate or associate's degree from an accredited college or university within the previous 24 months OR you are eligible to graduate within the next 6 months and have a verifiable offer of employment.

You have at least 6 months of credit history with no major derogatory entries.

You have a debt-to-income ratio of 20% or less.

Offer Disclaimer

1. Offer subject to credit approval through BMW Financial Services and verification of graduation and employment. Recent graduate means graduation from an accredited college or university with a doctorate, graduate, undergraduate, or associate's degree earned within the previous 24 months, or is eligible to graduate within the next 6 months and has a verifiable offer of employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
I guess reading comprehension is no longer required at college?

Let them eat CAKE!

I can't meet all of the requirements, so I believe I will sue BMW for discrimination. Discrimination against people without verifiable employment or reading skills. Class action? Who's in?
Oh my word. Now this is crystal clear.

Quote:
I'm self employed, so I actually had paychecks from my clients because they weren't deposited yet, but BMW financial wouldn't accept them.
So you have "paychecks" from clients? You do realize that BMW is looking for some type of evidence that you will continue to receive "paychecks from clients" after you sign the lease, right? Hopefully for 3 more years...not just you have a few dollars lying around in the bank right this minute.... A "debt to income" ratio based on one month's billings to your clients *might* not get you over the 20% ratio.....

Last edited by tex2670; 07-22-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #21
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Why is in this new world that everyone is a victim because they don't like the rules?

My kids have a paper route with consistent checks, so I'm sure my daughter would be able to get Audi to finance that R8 that she keeps looking at since she is technically a "small business". LOL
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #22
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

I'm happy to see that bimmerpost is decidedly not a "safe space". Though in fairness we probably should have provided trigger warnings before exposing him to reality.
Appreciate 0