BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Car Tracking Device

07-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

Car Tracking Device

I'm getting my M2 in 4 weeks and thinking about security. I think a tracker would be a great idea, perhaps with an app for your phone. Has anyone installed one on their cars recently?

I think for a car as badass as the M2, a tracker would be a good option.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigarum
I'm getting my M2 in 4 weeks and thinking about security. I think a tracker would be a great idea, perhaps with an app for your phone. Has anyone installed one on their cars recently?

Thanks
By your car using a discount buy here pay here place and they will install a GPS device with starter cut off control for you !
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigarum View Post

Thanks
Do you need something different than than what's built in?

"Theft recovery is an additional subscription service BMW Assist offers. This service is capable of tracking the location of the car via the car computer and GPS system.

Most BMW owners who are concerned about theft employ third party tracking options. These devices have many advantages, and disadvantages. Most devices are small, and can be placed virtually anywhere in the vehicle. Some higher end devices also contain small power sources. These devices may take longer for the thief to detect, and may be more difficult to disable. The BMW system however is tied into the car's computer system and cannot be removed without rendering the vehicle immobile. Additionally, the BMW system utilizes the car's power reserve to amplify the cellular signal to three Watts according to BMW's literature . Further signal gains are attributed to the use of the vehicle's large antenna which is several magnitudes larger than a cellphone antenna.

The BMW Assist system has an excellent track record if the theft is discovered within a short period of time."
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:

Thanks
It already has this via BMW Assistant - they can track it via your GPS and since it's built into the car, harder for thieves to remove.

EDIT: should've read further down, @zenmaster said the same thing but more eloquently.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Zigarum
Private
Rep
Drives: Z$ SDrive 2.3

Thanks for the response everyone. I didn;t realise this was something available with BMW assist. Will read more about it.

One less thing to think of before the badboy arrives :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

What everyone else said, already built in and comes with the car. Just install BMW Remote app on your flip phone and you are good to go!
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
PerPerez
Registered
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3

Quote:

I think for a car as badass as the M2, a car tracker would be a good option.

Thanks
I agree. It is undeniable that the tracker is a practical gadget. Especially when you live in a area where security is not good, like me, you need to use a tracker to prepare for it. It is much cheaper than a new car, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
brianpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerPerez View Post
I agree. It is undeniable that the tracker is a practical gadget. Especially when you live in a area where security is not good, like me, you need to use a tracker to prepare for it. It is much cheaper than a new car, isn't it?
After posting this 3 years and a month ago, perhaps Zigarum can share his experience with a tracking device!

Appreciate 0