F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can ASD module be unplugged? If so, ...
GetBMWParts

07-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Can ASD module be unplugged? If so, ...

where is it? Always drive in sport and am getting tired of the unnecessary noise. Have a 340i, came from a 2013 335is. The drone of the 'is', is music to the ears of some. But like hearing your favorite tune over and over and over again, it eventually becomes the last tune you want to hear. Now want silence! I know it can be coded off but 1) I'm too old to play around with the car's operating system, and 2) I just want to try it -- maybe I'll go back! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Maxpnc
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Yes, it can be unplugged (or coded off). The module is in the trunk under the left wheelwell cover. However, ASD does not produce drone while cruising under normal RPM.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

i noticed that there is a drone in sport, but no drone in sport+ or comfort, when cruising on the highway...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
i noticed that there is a drone in sport, but no drone in sport+ or comfort, when cruising on the highway...
There is no drone in sport+? (I haven't got it onto the highway to confirm).

I noticed there is drone in sport but not in comfort, but when I toggle the modes, I'm thinking the torque converter locks up in sport, and decouples in comfort. There is a slight change in driveline (with no change in revs). Have a road trip tomorrow so I'll have to take note more.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires
Quote:
There is no drone in sport+? (I haven't got it onto the highway to confirm).

I noticed there is drone in sport but not in comfort, but when I toggle the modes, I'm thinking the torque converter locks up in sport, and decouples in comfort. There is a slight change in driveline (with no change in revs). Have a road trip tomorrow so I'll have to take note more.
Yes for sure there is drone in sport vs sport +. Also it seems to me there is more exhaust back pressure in sport but in sport+ the exhaust is more opened up and it is better at making power... i usally try to keep it in sport+ most of the time or comfort when i'm in traffic
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Yes for sure there is drone in sport vs sport +. Also it seems to me there is more exhaust back pressure in sport but in sport+ the exhaust is more opened up and it is better at making power... i usally try to keep it in sport+ most of the time or comfort when i'm in traffic
I thought the only difference between Sport and Sport+ was that Sport+ removed traction control, I wasn't aware of any exhaust differences
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest
Quote:
I thought the only difference between Sport and Sport+ was that Sport+ removed traction control, I wasn't aware of any exhaust differences
well, i've done around 10,000 miles on my 340i, i think sport+ is a lot more engaging and fun to drive compared to sport, so i never really use sport unless i'm in heavy rain or something... there is definitely a big difference to me in terms of throttle response, exhaust note, 8AT shifting, power delivery
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Yup. Sport+ just removes the nannies.
      07-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Yup. Sport+ just removes the nannies.
That used to be the case pre-LCI. Transmission programming is now different between sport and sport + on the 340.
      07-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
That used to be the case pre-LCI. Transmission programming is now different between sport and sport + on the 340.
Source?
      07-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Source?
Me. I owned a 2013 335 and now a 2016 340. Very clear programming differences. I don't think all the changes have been officially documented by BMW. There have been several other posts about transmission programming differences that have been observed on the 340. The other big change was that sport mode no longer locks out 8th gear unless you move shifter to DS mode.
      07-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Me. I owned a 2013 335 and now a 2016 340. Very clear programming differences. I don't think all the changes have been officially documented by BMW. There have been several other posts about transmission programming differences that have been observed on the 340. The other big change was that sport mode no longer locks out 8th gear unless you move shifter to DS mode.
Interesting - In addition to the transmission differences you noted, have you also noticed differences in exhaust from Sport to Sport+?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Interesting - In addition to the transmission differences you noted, have you also noticed differences in exhaust from Sport to Sport+?
I haven't noticed a clear difference between sport and sport + but really haven't tried A/B comparisons. Exhaust burble is definitely louder in sport vs comfort.
      07-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

I also prefer sport+ programming to sport but unfortunately, I live in New Jersey where the roads and sport+ ride are incompatible!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster
I also prefer sport+ programming to sport but unfortunately, I live in New Jersey where the roads and sport+ ride are incompatible!
maybe its the runflat tires? my car rides much better after i switched to non RFT tires...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I took a 335, a 340, and a 435 out for test drives back-to-back at a dealership because I couldn't decide which I was going to go for. Didn't feel a difference in Sport+ with regards to transmission or exhaust. Are you possibly imagining it?
      07-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I took a 335, a 340, and a 435 out for test drives back-to-back at a dealership because I couldn't decide which I was going to go for. Didn't feel a difference in Sport+ with regards to transmission or exhaust. Are you possibly imagining it?
No. It's not subtle. Shift points are higher in sport + on the 340. Did you have shifter in DS mode? Sport mode with shifter in DS mode has equivalent shift points to just sport + and D mode. Putting it in DS mode adds nothing additional when already in sport +.
      07-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. It's not subtle. Shift points are higher in sport + on the 340. Did you have shifter in DS mode? Sport mode with shifter in DS mode has equivalent shift points to just sport + and D mode. Putting it in DS mode adds nothing additional when already in sport +.
No. I was running all three in Sport+ without DS mode and pushing them as hard as I could on winding back roads (CA was an awesome dude) because that's how I'd typically drive my own car. Sport and Sport+ had no difference in shift points - I would've noticed that straight away.