F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why are these trunk thingies adjustable and what to they do?
proTUNING Freaks

07-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
noeku1t
Registered
Rep
Drives: Buspass

Why are these trunk thingies adjustable and what to they do?

Apologies for my English. I have an F36 and on the hatch it has these things (see attachment pictures) which connects with the boot;

The ones on the hatch are adjustable (I can turn them around like I'm opening a bottle).

Edit: Sorry, pictures didn't seem to upload for the first time, trying again
Attached Images

Last edited by noeku1t; 07-25-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I don't have an F36 but those look like the bumper stops from my old ML320. You use them for adjusting the fit of the hatch to the latch and car body. That is, if your hatch is rattling you can try adjusting them out a bit so there's less play once the latch is engaged. If you need to slam the hatch really hard to get the latch to engage, then you adjust them in.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
noeku1t
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I don't have an F36 but those look like the bumper stops from my old ML320. You use them for adjusting the fit of the hatch to the latch and car body. That is, if your hatch is rattling you can try adjusting them out a bit so there's less play once the latch is engaged. If you need to slam the hatch really hard to get the latch to engage, then you adjust them in.
Thanks!
The thing is, and truth behind this post; I tried adjusting them once because it looked liked the hatch wasn't in alignment with rest of the body (it looked like the hatch was 1-2 millimeteres down vs. the rest of the body). I intended to open them up a little (make them "longer") so that it would align better, but instead the trunk made a nasty, hard noise while closing and opening.

I have tried to adjust it back to factory level, but whenever I close and open the trunk now the sound is bothering me, I now always think it's wrong in some way and might do some minor damage in the wrong run. My curiosity =
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
I can attest to that he ass pain those things cause if you mess with them, especially under the front hood.
      07-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
noeku1t
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
I can attest to that he ass pain those things cause if you mess with them, especially under the front hood.
How do we solve this??
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeku1t
Quote:
How do we solve this??
Incrementally. Honestly that's the best you can do unless you take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.
      07-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
noeku1t
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Incrementally. Honestly that's the best you can do unless you take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.
I had no luck in doing so. I'll try to keep that in mind next time the car's in for service...
Appreciate 0