E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Reinstalling valve cover

07-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
nuron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Reinstalling valve cover

Anybody have any advice? All the wire looms are out of the way, I've notched off the plastic piece on the passenger strut tower, pulled off the weather strip on the firewall, and the area is wide open. I've even removed the rear mount bracket that the plastic shield bolts on to (people say they don't usually install the rear two bolts so I figured it was okay)! All the videos I've seen show people angling the cover towards the driver's side and guiding it in. That breather valve port on the back is the only thing getting in my way! If only BMW lengthened the firewall by an inch then I'd be good.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

On the e box there is a plastic tab that sticks out that provides no real purpose. You can snip this off with side cutters to get about another half inch of room.
Find a friend, one to work the front while you finagle the back. The angle is hard to explain but yes angling towards the drivers side at first is how it should work the best. it will go just be patient and don't get pissed off and break something. If it's not going for a couple minutes, stop and have a beer and retry again in a bit.
Once you get it back on chances are the gasket will become unseated. Lift the entire cover about an inch and feel all the way around to make sure it is seated properly.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

It sounds like he already notched the e-box tab. I also ended up notching the hard plastic tray at the firewall to make some more room. Don't need to take much out, and it is totally hidden by the rubber gasket when you reinstall it.
      08-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
It sounds like he already notched the e-box tab. I also ended up notching the hard plastic tray at the firewall to make some more room. Don't need to take much out, and it is totally hidden by the rubber gasket when you reinstall it.
Ah probably. He said he notched plastic off the passenger strut tower so wasn't sure if that's something different I hadn't heard of
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #5
nuron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I spent four hours trying to angle and position the VC and eventually gave up and made this thread. Slept on it and tried again next day and it was on in under 5 minutes! Broke the breather hose so now I have to remove the intake manifold to replace it haha. I removed the expansion tank hose to make room and about a cup of coolant came out. Do I have to do any bleeding procedures to make sure air didn't get into the system?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #6
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuron View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I spent four hours trying to angle and position the VC and eventually gave up and made this thread. Slept on it and tried again next day and it was on in under 5 minutes! Broke the breather hose so now I have to remove the intake manifold to replace it haha. I removed the expansion tank hose to make room and about a cup of coolant came out. Do I have to do any bleeding procedures to make sure air didn't get into the system?
I just added distilled water and ran it without bleeding at all.