E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > The right DSP for the job?

08-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

The right DSP for the job?

Hey guys,
I've got a 2010 335i Coupe with the base stereo (no tweeters, no amp). It does have bluetooth and aux input, though.

I'm looking at doing an upgrade and am working with a vendor to source the parts. When I originally spoke with the vendor, we were looking at Morel woofers in the door and Morel tweeters in the sails along with the crossovers that come with that kit.
The Jehnert 200SE subs under the seat.
An Arc XDI600.4 amp which puts out 150 watts per channel at 4 ohms. 4 Channels.
Helix DSP.

I went through one slight round of misunderstanding where the original package product list with prices showed the Morel Hybrid and Morel MT230 tweeters. They then told me they were going to ship Morel Virtus woofers and MT120 tweeters. We got that sorted.

Now they are telling me we only need four channels so they want to send the "Match DSP" instead of the Helix DSP because they only need 4 channels.
The previous two emails indicated the Helix was included. Only in the last email, after we got the speakers sorted out, did they say they want to send the Match DSP.

Can you guys help me understand the difference between the DSPs? Is it a big deal? The one thing I can think of is that if I ever decided I wanted to add another amp and a trunk sub, I would be out of luck with that DSP. Are there other considerations with the 4 channel match DSP vs the Helix DSP with this particular buildout?

Thanks. I'm excited about getting a good system. But starting to feel a little regret in having to work with the vendor on two separate items being changed on me after me agreeing on a package and sending them my money.

I don't want to spoil a positive relationship with the vendor by being a jerk and asking for something I don't need. Because it is likely I'm going to need some tech support from them as this will be DIY and its my first attempt at anything like this.

Thanks
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Best go to the Helix Website and compare the specs

Best go to the Helix Website and compare the specs.
The match has less channels than most of the other ones.
They are made by the same company audiotech fisher.
Most people here have been using the 82dsp as a one unit
solution now, less power more channels. Thoses are great speakers would the vendor be MusicarNW?
Now helix has or is coming out with the V8 .
I would guess he would be sending you a dsp tune with
that setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

CTuna,

Regarding the vendor, I guess I felt at this point best to leave it out of the conversation. Yes, the DSP should come tuned for this speaker set and the characteristics of this car. There is some calibration I'll have to do, but hopefully I am satisfied without having to do a full analysis and tune at a local shop.

I did go to the manufacturer website and take a look before I made my post here. The problem is, I don't yet quite understand everything. There are a lot of similarities in the specs, but a few things that I don't know anything about.
Match:
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/e...match-dsp.html
Helix:
http://www.audiotec-fischer.de/lng/en/helix-dsp.html

The helix mentions ground loop prevention on the features page, but its not mentioned for the match. I could guess that both have that feature though and it was just left off the match. But I'm just guessing.
One thing I did notice is the Match is using Asahi Kasei signal converters while the Helix is using Burr Brown.

I'm imagining / hopeful that the crossovers in the Morel component sets are quality. Hopefully I'll never feel harshness that would make me want to go from passive to active crossover. In that case, having the extra channels on the Helix would be useful. But that is a scenario that will not likely need to be played out.

Also, based on what I've read, and the fact that I'm not playing movies, I don't see myself adding a center voice channel.

What I am concerned about is adding a trunk sub in the future. If I use the four channels of the Match for the component systems in the doors and the subs under the seats, I wouldn't have a channel for the trunk.
I understand my amp only has four channels, but I could add an amp with a trunk speaker. But I'd be in a difficult situation with the processor.

Have I correctly assessed this or am I missing something?
I'm on the fence about going back to the vendor and saying, I paid for a Helix, I want a Helix. Or just accepting the Match with the idea that it is probably good for the current specced build.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.

Last edited by SackOHammers; 08-02-2016 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you wanted to go active or amp the back .

If you wanted to go active or amp the back you would need more channels.
And the Helix is a higher end line from what I understand.
Since the Cleansweep is now more expensive this may be
a better basic solution.
There should have been a list when you first ordered
that you could review with options and select.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #5
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

The Helix DSP is the better of the two but the Match DSP is also no slouch. Helix has 8 channels out and the Match has 6. Match would be capable of adding a sub since you still have two remaining, configurable output channels but not sufficient for running an active setup.

The most ideal and seemingly favored approach is the Match PP82 or stepping up to the V Eight/P SIX. All would allow for an active setup and still provide output channels for a sub.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

6speed what do you think is the wattage sweet spot

for the Jehnerts and I would ask for the Morels but I know
you don't favor them.
I think harshness or warmth is a function of the speakers
you choose and not if you go active or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
for the Jehnerts and I would ask for the Morels but I know
you don't favor them.
I think harshness or warmth is a function of the speakers
you choose and not if you go active or not.
Really depends on the listener, configuration and media used. For most the PP82 is more than adequate. Anything above that is bonus.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 1