E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake change notice but brakes are fine-?

08-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Brake change notice but brakes are fine-?

Hey guys
I got a low brake pad alert on my e90 - took to dealer and they said brakes wee fine, and they had to calibrate them (something about the algorithm was off for the light)

As I drove home the light came back on. I called and told them and bringing back Monday. I paid like 70 labor for their "calibration" amd my car is certified ...

Anyhow- what's odd last year the same things happened but for the front brakes and it was a sensor they replaced ... Would of thought this was sensor too but I guess not?

Just annoying as dealer is 40 min away

I have 19k miles car is great otherwise
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Cumberland_328xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

My guess would be the rear sensor. I always start with the easiest first and work my way up. If dealer said that visual inspection proved that the rotors and pads are ok, next thing on the list would be to replace the sensor. Easy job, less than 15 bucks and about 15 mins of your time. Worst part is taking the rear wheel rock guard off.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I agree, we're assuming you don't have an issue with fluid level....

IMHO, if you already paid them for diagnostics, and that diagnostics is wrong, and it turns out to be the sensor, they should replace it NO CHARGE for your inconvenience.

And let's get real, calibration? You mean pressing the button and holding it, at the end of the turn signal stalk?

Again, until I replaced mine, they were very mysterious, dunno, the threads made it sound like messing with them would trigger a warning permanently or something. There's nothing at all to them. Unplug old, remove, trace the path, plug in new. Rear right, front left. And they are $12-$15 online if you use PEX etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I'm having the same problem with my rear brake pads. They're half worn but the light is on for the second time. Do I just replace the sensor or give in to the tyranny of this half assed "feature" and do a pad slap because I have to crawl under the @#$% thing?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
I'm having the same problem with my rear brake pads. They're half worn but the light is on for the second time. Do I just replace the sensor or give in to the tyranny of this half assed "feature" and do a pad slap because I have to crawl under the @#$% thing?
hmmmm....half worn, maybe replace the pads and sensors if you have any noise, and if you don't, then just do that procedure where you fool the sensor...

My hunch is the only purpose of replacing the sensors is to do it by the book, and that they are cheap enough...I did my brakes at 50k, and none of them were worn to the point where the sensors triggered anything. But the sensors were worn and broke upon removal. When you reset the CBS, at least in my case, the fronts went to 90k, and the rears to 45k. This isn't very helpful in any way.

one benefit from replacing the pads were that the squeak squeak squeak from the rear went completely away, and I think they were maybe 60%+ gone? The fronts were fine, but I wanted to just have new all around and do it at once...
Appreciate 0