F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Arrgh!
GetBMWParts

08-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Arrgh!

So I ordered my '16 340i xDrive with the track handling package, which meant my only option for tires were performance summer tires. I live in a place that gets some snow in the winter so I need some A/S tires instead. I tried to find some for the 19" rims that came with the car but TireRack didn't have any. So instead I found a set of 18" rims and A/S tires removed from a new 328i on eBay. They were listed as "pristine" and said they were taken off the car at delivery. I paid $1,940 for them with shipping. They just arrived yesterday and they're damaged. The guy only covered the front with some cardboard and taped it to the tire. There is a puncture in the cardboard on one that lines up directly with a giant gouge in the rim. And another one has what looks like curb rash on the edge of one of the rims. That one doesn't have any obvious damage to the cardboard, but maybe the FeEd guy dropped it on the pavement or something. In any case now I'm having to deal with trying to dispute this with eBay and get the seller to take them back. No way I'm putting damaged rims on my brand new car.

I guess I should have just bit the bullet and paid full pop at the dealer instead. Tried to save a few bucks and ended up with a headache.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Well, Tire rack most definitely has AS tire options and a lot of them that are great in snow including Conti Extreme contact DWS 06 and Michelin PS AS3+. Both for the 19 inch optional wheels and both of these are best all season performance tires you can buy

You rushed a decision for snow capable tires in at the beginning of August...
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      08-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
So I ordered my '16 340i xDrive with the track handling package, which meant my only option for tires were performance summer tires. I live in a place that gets some snow in the winter so I need some A/S tires instead. I tried to find some for the 19" rims that came with the car but TireRack didn't have any. So instead I found a set of 18" rims and A/S tires removed from a new 328i on eBay. They were listed as "pristine" and said they were taken off the car at delivery. I paid $1,940 for them with shipping. They just arrived yesterday and they're damaged. The guy only covered the front with some cardboard and taped it to the tire. There is a puncture in the cardboard on one that lines up directly with a giant gouge in the rim. And another one has what looks like curb rash on the edge of one of the rims. That one doesn't have any obvious damage to the cardboard, but maybe the FeEd guy dropped it on the pavement or something. In any case now I'm having to deal with trying to dispute this with eBay and get the seller to take them back. No way I'm putting damaged rims on my brand new car.

I guess I should have just bit the bullet and paid full pop at the dealer instead. Tried to save a few bucks and ended up with a headache.
Get the Continental DWS06. Even if they aren't in stock now for 19" wheels, they will be.

Re-sell the wheels you bought (at a loss obviously) and get whatever you can for them. Depending on how bad they are, you can usually find someone to take them off your hands. It may not be much, but unfortunately that's your best bet.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

My opinion, if you're going to buy a 340i with the Track Handling Package then you should pony up for a second set of dedicated winter wheels/tires if your climate demands it. I think a car like this deserves to ride on tires that maximize performance for a given season, not all-seasons that give you mediocrity year-round.

Like I said just my opinion.
Appreciate 2
Beek707.00
      08-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
My opinion, if you're going to buy a 340i with the Track Handling Package then you should pony up for a second set of dedicated winter wheels/tires if your climate demands it. I think a car like this deserves to ride on tires that maximize performance for a given season, not all-seasons that give you mediocrity year-round.

+1. If you get enough snow to justify it; get winter tires.

all season tires = no season tires. they aren't amazing in the summer nor are the amazing in the winter

sorry to hear about your damaged rims, hopefully the situation gets corrected. i always buy locally for this exact reason
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge

Pilot sport all seasons offer better dry performance than most summer tires
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Most.. not all
Summer tires still have the best formulation and traction patterns for.. hotter weather
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried the separate tires on my last car. I swapped the first two years then got lazy and drove on the winter tires for a year until I burned them up and replaced them with AS tires. I don't have the tools or gumption to do it myself and taking them somewhere is a PITA. Only reason I did it the first two years is because my Dad had the stuff to do it, including a lift, and he kept the unused tires at his place. He's since moved and can no longer do that.

I want to get AS tires. And I want them to be run flat so I don't have to worry about getting a flat tire. According to TireRack there are no AS run flat tires that fit the wheels I have. I was planning on swapping them for these new wheels and just selling the old ones for whatever to make up some of the cost. Now that these are ruined I guess my option is to buy a new set of wheels and new set of AS tires to fit them. I might just bite the bullet and get them at the dealer to save myself the hassle. I've come to a point where saving a few bucks is not worth the headache.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #9
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder
Quote:
Most.. not all
Summer tires still have the best formulation and traction patterns for.. hotter weather
Yes, exactly. Better than most. I would argue better or as good as every summer tire but PZeros and MPSS
BMW CCA Member #516012
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, I hope you find a happy ending

I originally ordered mine with the 19" rims, they look incredible. I chickened out at the last minute because of limited tire options and harsher ride and changed it. Part of me wishes I kept it with the 19's.
      08-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Quote:
Not to mention they will easily go 30k aggressively driven. Summer Ultra High Performance RFTs/Go Flats will maybe go half that for nearly twice the price. Some of us really are okay with 8/10s of the performance during the summer season and you may also want to consider what you really want out of the tires, all things considered. Probably won't find a worthy performance all season RFT, but with the $$$ you save you can get a spare wheel/tire and toss it in the trunk when needed - road trips where you can't easily get service.

Others have noted the Michelin AS/3s are better all around than the Bridgestone S001 RFTs that came OE on my 19 403s for example, and I'd agree in terms of ride quality and traction.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the guy is offering to send a local wheel repair guy to my house to have the damage fixed. Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair? Does it really make the wheels look like new? Or is it just like a paint job over the damage? One of the wheels has a large gouge out of it so I'm not sure how he'd even fix that. Some sort of body filler?

Not sure if I should allow him to do this or if I should just reject the offer and ask for my money back. If he can truly make them like new again I'd be OK with it as long as the work lasts.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #13
MuffinMan910
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i xDrive mSport

I'd ask for money back. Refinished wheels look great when new but depending what kind of conditions you drive in and how good the repair is, it'll eventually start to flake or peel. It could take years to happen but it's bound to happen at some point
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

The guy lied about the condition. Send them back. Contact Ebay and let them know you have a problem. PayPal can hold the funds if there is an issue.

Or, have the guy drop the price.

There is FedEx insurance, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #15
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

After inspecting them I'm pretty sure the damage was caused by shipping. So he didn't lie. He just did a poor job of packaging them and FedEx roughed them up.

I declined the repair option. I don't want to get a few years down the road and have the repair job start to fade or peal and have to deal with them. I'm very careful with my wheels and never curbed my old ones in 8 years, so I want pristine wheels like I paid for.
Appreciate 0