E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i transmission compatibility?

08-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
dylanAr10
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

335i transmission compatibility?

OK so my transmission is in the process of dying. (Clutch E is pretty bare as 4-6 can barely hold any torque). So I am looking for a used transmission online and the only one I can find with decent millage and price is one from a 2011 335i (Post LCI) The seller says it'll fit my car (2007 335i E92 it's 07/03+ As Alpina did work on my car) however I am uncertain do to the paddle change and the switch from n54 to n55 and what not. So does anyone know if the transmission is compatible? My guess would be that BMW just changed the way they wire in the paddles so I assume it would work fine but just wanna make sure before I pay someone to install this transmission and find out I am wrong! Thanks in advanced everyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanAr10 View Post
OK so my transmission is in the process of dying. (Clutch E is pretty bare as 4-6 can barely hold any torque). So I am looking for a used transmission online and the only one I can find with decent millage and price is one from a 2011 335i (Post LCI) The seller says it'll fit my car (2007 335i E92 it's 07/03+ As Alpina did work on my car) however I am uncertain do to the paddle change and the switch from n54 to n55 and what not. So does anyone know if the transmission is compatible? My guess would be that BMW just changed the way they wire in the paddles so I assume it would work fine but just wanna make sure before I pay someone to install this transmission and find out I am wrong! Thanks in advanced everyone!
Be careful assuming the tranny is toast.
Are you getting rpm flare and free revving when you give moderate to heavy throttle at speed?
Is this accompanied by the red gear/tranny warning on the dashboard and then failsafing to 2nd or 3rd gear?

The ZF6 has been relatively reliable in my experience. When problems occur, oftentimes the culprit is the valvebody/mechatronic unit. Don't let a repair shop sell you a complete tranny, without first knowing that the mechatronic is not the problem. I see it done repeatedly.

The mechatronic is relatively inexpensive and governs how, when, and how effectively the tranny shifts. Do you know what error codes are stored in the TCU? If not, find out and report back here. My 330i had all kinds of shift funkiness. I replaced the solenoids on the mechatronic and the tranny was just like new, this was at @130k miles.

Perhaps your tranny really does need replacing and you have verified that. To answer your question, BMW seems to OK using a NEWER tranny in your vehicle, but not an older one (part number). They don't draw a distinction between N54/N55 models. Head over to Realoem.com and look at the ZF6 part numbers... A the last iteration of the E90 ZF6 can be fitted to every 335i, from pre 03/07 to the end of production ( with the N55).
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

The paddle shifter issue is a matter of wiring inside the vehicle. I can't recall what is necessary, but it is here on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #4
dylanAr10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Be careful assuming the tranny is toast.
Are you getting rpm flare and free revving when you give moderate to heavy throttle at speed?
Is this accompanied by the red gear/tranny warning on the dashboard and then failsafing to 2nd or 3rd gear?

The ZF6 has been relatively reliable in my experience. When problems occur, oftentimes the culprit is the valvebody/mechatronic unit. Don't let a repair shop sell you a complete tranny, without first knowing that the mechatronic is not the problem. I see it done repeatedly.

The mechatronic is relatively inexpensive and governs how, when, and how effectively the tranny shifts. Do you know what error codes are stored in the TCU? If not, find out and report back here. My 330i had all kinds of shift funkiness. I replaced the solenoids on the mechatronic and the tranny was just like new, this was at @130k miles.

Perhaps your tranny really does need replacing and you have verified that. To answer your question, BMW seems to OK using a NEWER tranny in your vehicle, but not an older one (part number). They don't draw a distinction between N54/N55 models. Head over to Realoem.com and look at the ZF6 part numbers... A the last iteration of the E90 ZF6 can be fitted to every 335i, from pre 03/07 to the end of production ( with the N55).
I am pretty sure my clutch e is toast. I have had codes for ratio monitoring 4-5, Clutch E slippage, Clutch B slippage and a few other random non repeating codes. I do get flare when shifting 3-4 but gears 5 & 6 are the worst when putting anything I'd say over 25% throttle the transmission goes into safe mode with really high rpms. I am guessing what is happening is that the clutch E is so bald that when under more than x amount of torque it slips allowing the ratio to effectively change. It could be an issue with the valvebody but at that point I'd be spending $700 + Fluid for a maybe where I can spend a bit more and get it resolved no questions asked. Thank you for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
dylanAr10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
The paddle shifter issue is a matter of wiring inside the vehicle. I can't recall what is necessary, but it is here on the forum.
I figured as much just didn't want to lose my paddles lol.
Appreciate 0