E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Who has steering wheel knocking / clunking / clicking / backlash

View Poll Results: Do you have steering wheel clicking/clunking due to backlash in the column assembly?
I have this problem and I don't care 2 50.00%
I had this problem, and I fixed it 1 25.00%
I haven't noticed this problem, but I might now that I'm aware of it... 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

08-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
BlindWolf187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Who has steering wheel knocking / clunking / clicking / backlash

Hey guys, I just want to collect some data. My car has the issue where there is about 1/2 degree backlash in the steering system so if the car is still you can hear it clicking when you shake the wheel back and forth. From what I have read, this is coming from some flex linkage on the steering wheel column. To fix it, you can cut out that segment of the column and weld in a new one, or replace the whole column.
This is rather invasive operation to solve a problem that isn't really a problem, so I don't think I'm going to do anything about it. I'm just wondering how many of you all have this issue too (i.e. is it rare or endemic?).