F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rotor help.
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2016, 03:11 AM   #1
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep
Drives: White F30 M Sport

Rotor help.

Hi all just a quick question. I was wondering can i upgrade my front rotors from 340mm to 370mm.

On the back of my 4 piston caliper it says 340 p440
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I thought the 370mm rotors are generally paired with the bigger brembo calipers
then there is also the issue of whether your rims will fit over the brake calipers afterwards
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Blacktan
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW f32 428i mpack

You need 370/380 callipers for fronts not of 340.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What's the primary reason for installing larger rotors? Cosmetic? Effectiveness?

Brakes are designed as an integrated family of components: rotors, calipers, and pads. Different pads can be the delta between squeaky or quiet braking performance. More effective braking performance is achieved by changing calipers with corresponding rotors: 6 pistons vs 4 pistons in the front, 4 pistons vs 2 pistons in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Other factors involved but in general larger rotors allow better potential of increased breaking force.. and imo they look better too..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

The reason why I want the bigger rotors are looks nice plus the braking will be better.

I've looked at calipers on a M135i which is the blue caliper. Looks exactly the same as mines.

The m3/m4 caliper looks exactly the same.

I think I will just buy some 370mm rotors to see if it fits.

Only way to find out.

I will let you guys know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

I've just purchased rear m4 2 piston calipers and also pick up 370mm rear brake disc for the rear from a mate.

So I will fit them on in the next few days. I will send some pictures.

I've just lowered my car h&r sports springs 40mm all round. The car is sitting perfectly very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Braking isnt automatically better by going to a larger rotor. The larger rotors are to help dissipate heat. If you need to increase your braking performance the best bang for your buck is always going to be upgrading your tires first. The biggest baddest rotor/caliper possible is useless if your tires have shitty grip.

Next best option is simply upgrading your pads. The OEM BMW pads are pretty mediocre. Simply upgrading to a performance pad will give you improved heat resistance and better torque and feel.

If all you do is commute and the occasional spirited drive then you are done. You arent likely to notice any further improvement, it will mostly be esthetic from that point on.

If you are tracking the car then going to a bigger rotor and pad and switching over to a high temp racing fluid will be noticed as you'll be able to push the car harder ie brake later and harder and more often without heat building up and boiling your fluid.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #9
Blacktan
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW f32 428i mpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 AAR View Post
I've just purchased rear m4 2 piston calipers and also pick up 370mm rear brake disc for the rear from a mate.

So I will fit them on in the next few days. I will send some pictures.

I've just lowered my car h&r sports springs 40mm all round. The car is sitting perfectly very happy with it.
Subscribed about this mode.
Pls keep me posted about this.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r
Braking isnt automatically better by going to a larger rotor. The larger rotors are to help dissipate heat. If you need to increase your braking performance the best bang for your buck is always going to be upgrading your tires first. The biggest baddest rotor/caliper possible is useless if your tires have shitty grip.

Next best option is simply upgrading your pads. The OEM BMW pads are pretty mediocre. Simply upgrading to a performance pad will give you improved heat resistance and better torque and feel.

If all you do is commute and the occasional spirited drive then you are done. You arent likely to notice any further improvement, it will mostly be esthetic from that point on.

If you are tracking the car then going to a bigger rotor and pad and switching over to a high temp racing fluid will be noticed as you'll be able to push the car harder ie brake later and harder and more often without heat building up and boiling your fluid.
This is one of the best posts on the subject. Could not agree more.

Larger rotors will indeed help dissipate the heat but under normal driving conditions (vs multiple taps on the track) the benefits will be marginal. There is a reason why big brake kits costs on average $3K per axle. The engineering required to improve braking performance involves all components, not just rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #11
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktan View Post
Subscribed about this mode.
Pls keep me posted about this.
Thanks
I will let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #12
G20 WestMid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAv8r View Post

I agree with what you say

I will be doing track days in the car.

I have upgraded my tyres. I'm running ( 275 35 19 rear ) and ( 255 35 19 front )

I have upgraded quite few things to be honest. The list is long. Brakes is what I'm working on now. After that it's tuning the engine.
Appreciate 0