BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > My M2 story

08-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Andycc
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT

Smile My M2 story

Finally got some time to post my M2 story and driving impressions. A bit overdue, but better late than never!

So, it all started in September 2015. The lease on my FR-S was coming to an end in summer 2016 and I started looking for a new car. FR-S was a truly a joy to drive and overall great driver’s car, so the bar was set quite high for a replacement. Very few cars come close to handling and feel of an FR-S. After a quick internet search of what’s available in the market, nothing really stood out that would get me excited (and that was reasonably priced). Oh, and the other requirement was that the new car is a RWD MT coupe, which limited selection even more.

In terms of driving dynamics, the step up from FR-S was Cayman, but 2 seats and no boot was a deal-breaker for me. Same thing with Alfa 4C and the F-Type (also costing much more). When it came BMW.. To be honest, I was never a big fan of BMW, especially their styling. M models were something different though, in both style and performance, so they caught my interest at first. Looked at the M4, but the size and price quickly put me off.

What got me started to consider BMW more seriously, was a test drive in M235i. What an exciting car, I thought! Really liked the power compared to the FR-S. Handling was not that sharp, but close enough. So I started researching M235i, reading reviews, etc.. Then M2 name started popping up. It looked like the perfect car from my recipe: RWD, MT, fast, small and nimble coupe.

By the way, just wanted to say quick to all of the enthusiasts and contributors here. These forums provided truly invaluable information and I really appreciate it. I wouldn’t have placed an order for the M2 in time if not you guys Asked my dealer to send me about the M2 at that time and they knew pretty much nothing, shame!

Long story short, after some calls around, I opened the waiting list at one of the dealers on October 20th, 2015 . Aaand the wait began.. I could have gotten the HEA car in May, but it wasn’t spec’d as I wanted, so I decided to wait for a production car. It was scheduled to be produced in the beginning of June. The wait was a bit nerve-wracking with all the production delays, order postponements and (supposedly) factory closing in June.

Eventually, everything turned out well and right on time. I was able to pick up the M2 just before the Diffrentialgate, a day before my FR-S lease has ended. Talk about precision timing!!!
It was really sad to see some of you guys experiencing delays with differentials and hope this gets sorted out soon for whoever is still waiting! Would my delivery be a scheduled a few days later, I would be in the same situation.

Well, the long wait did not disappoint! The M2 is all what has been praised for in the reviews and much more! The power delivery is just fantastic! The ride is perfect, very composed, oh, and the stock exhaust – it’s just orgasmic! to who found the “hidden exhaust mode” It’s so so good! Not really sure why you’d need an Mperf upgrade.

Here are some quick driving impressions:

Steering is a bit on a lighter side in Comfort mode, but it’s just perfect in Sport/Sport+ modes.
Ride quality is great to me. It is much more compliant compared to FR-S, cannot call it too harsh or bone-shattering at all. At the same time, the car feels very planted and like on rails. Also quieter! Not really sure what people who complained about the hard ride and cabin noise drove before

By the way, is there any way to program the car to start in Sport or Sport + mode? The car feels so much different in Sport+, it’s like another 100hp were added! Love it!

Seats provide good support and offer a lot of adjustability, although seating position was a bit harder to find for me, compared to FR-S.

Very happy with the Interior as well! CF bits look and feel great, plastic parts are solid as well.

HK Radio – don’t really get what people are complaining about. Everything from Pink Floyd to Armin van Buuren sounds crisp and clear with plenty of detail and bass. I'm not an audiophile listening everything on .flac, but appreciate a good sounding stereo. And music from Sirius/Spotify/iTunes sounds great. Iphone’s/Spotify’s EQ adjustments work well in case you need to bring out more of certain frequencies.

Did some detailing and sealed the M2 with Cquartz and was left impressed with the curves and all the small bodywork details. I guess, you have to “massage” it for a couple of days to truly appreciate the forms and how they “flow” together. Other cars I had - FR-S, G35, felt much simpler in that sense, panels were pretty much straight sheets of metal, no character.

Mods so far:

Weather stripping in front of the doors to prevent wind noise (really noticeable on Hwy’s)
BMS clutch stop
M-perf grilles
M-per CF spoiler

Next will be installing an ASD bypass. Just tried driving with stereo fuse out and it feels like there’s much less droning on highway speeds. That was probably my biggest issue with ASD. What’s interesting, that without ASD you can hear all those pops and cracks from the exhaust much better too

Overall – I’m super happy with the car! Thanks again to this forum that led me to it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Andycc; 08-23-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 6
luvmybmmr305.00
AlexCirci496.50
Zigarum66.50
BFLY78.50
      08-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Thanks for the write up and congrats, welcome to the club!

No way to start the car in Sport+, always starts in comfort. Just add pressing the sport button two times after pressing the start button as your start up routine, that's what i do
Appreciate 2
Andycc20.50
Chuck W.356.00
      08-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Congratulations and enjoy this fantastic car!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

"Weatherstripping in front of the doors". What does that mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
Andycc
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
"Weatherstripping in front of the doors". What does that mean?
Here's the thread I got it from:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...eather+Sealing

Part #5:
http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/51/51_8650/

That's basically 2 pieces of dense foam, 10 minute mod
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Congratulations! Can't wait to see your build!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Great little write up and I see you've opted for the best colour as well

The weather stripping will be one of the first mods I do as well.
Appreciate 2
Andycc20.50
      08-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycc View Post
HK Radio – don’t really get what people are complaining about. Everything from Pink Floyd to Armin van Buuren sounds crisp and clear with plenty of detail and bass. I'm not an audiophile listening everything on .flac, but appreciate a good sounding stereo. And music from Sirius/Spotify/iTunes sounds great. Iphone’s/Spotify’s EQ adjustments work well in case you need to bring out more of certain frequencies.
Funny you say this because I completely agree. Everyone seems to hate on the HK system but I think it sounds pretty good (coming from a 07 e92). I have my treble and bass settings set up to about 5/6th of the way and the S-volume all the way up. When I have my phone plugged into the USB and use Spotify it sounds great. Everyone that has rode in my car agrees.
      08-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Great little write up and I see you've opted for the best colour as well

The weather stripping will be one of the first mods I do as well.
...and the fastest color. Doesn't have all of that metal flake weighing it down!!!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Andycc
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
...and the fastest color. Doesn't have all of that metal flake weighing it down!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #11
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
LOL was waiting for you to say something like that about the color
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the write up, very nice car

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #13
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Thanks for your comments!
Many similarities between you and I on how the M2 came to be 'the car'...few more days for me...Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
Andycc20.50
      08-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm going from an ft86 as well.
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

Next will be installing an ASD bypass. Just tried driving with stereo fuse out and it feels like there’s much less droning on highway speeds. That was probably my biggest issue with ASD. What’s interesting, that without ASD you can hear all those pops and cracks from the exhaust much better too
Great write up, can you please just clarify what fuse you pulled for the ASD/stereo please, is it #122?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Congrats. Drive it in good health. Lots of good info over here at 2addicts.

Quote:
I could have gotten the HEA car in May, but it wasn’t spec’d as I wanted, so I decided to wait for a production car.
And your patience has been rewarded. You passed the so-called Marshmellow test.
      08-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #17
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And your patience has been rewarded. You passed the so-called Marshmellow test.
Two M2s or analogy fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #18
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Great write up. We did the exact same thing. Started in August of 2015 looking at the M235I and ended up pursuing the M2. Long journey, but well worth it. If we didn't have a white 535I we would have gotten a white M2. That is beautiful. White really shows the lines off. Enjoy!
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
Andycc
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
Great write up, can you please just clarify what fuse you pulled for the ASD/stereo please, is it #122?
Yup, #122, it's located in the trunk area.
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.697.50