F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Wired house alarm + cctv kit
Studio RSR

08-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Wired house alarm + cctv kit

Hi, as above who could recommend me both a wired house alarm, and a cctv kit containing 4 cameras
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

For cctv, you really can't go wrong with the Swann kits from Costco.
IMHO burglar alarms are only for peace of mind and insurance purposes. Oxygen theives these days don't get flustered with alarms that no one responds too.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
TonyMaloni
Banned
Rep
Drives: Quattroporte GTS, 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
For cctv, you really can't go wrong with the Swann kits from Costco.
IMHO burglar alarms are only for peace of mind and insurance purposes. Oxygen theives these days don't get flustered with alarms that no one responds too.
i think though that your common or garden smack head burglar will walk past a house with an alarm box and break into the next house that doesnt have one. probably just a dummy box would suffice.
I have a wireless alarm myself - seems fine and so much less hassle to install.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Perfect Thanks,

Regarding alarms, I already have pre existing wiring, just that the system is getting abit old now, so would be a direct swap,
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

For alarms HKC seem to be pretty good, you can have a hybrid system with theirs so wireless and wired.

Also the cheap Honeywell system is pretty good. They now do a system which you can control on your phone but that is a wireless system.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

I recently installed a texecom premier elite to our house with a couple of the fancy keypads for front and back doors.

Complicated at first to set up but once you have it's a great system, and has so many more features than I personally would ever need. You can use proximity tags with it too, handy to give to people who access your house, saves them stressing about codes etc. Although we don't actually use them ourselves, we still use manual code entry, but we've given the cleaners one and one for our cat feeder for when we are away.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
For alarms HKC seem to be pretty good, you can have a hybrid system with theirs so wireless and wired.

Also the cheap Honeywell system is pretty good. They now do a system which you can control on your phone but that is a wireless system.
+1 for HKC alarms. I had an old wired system which I converted to an HKC hybrid system with both wired & wireless parts. The existing wired movement sensors still work and I also had a wireless bell sounder inside the garage and a 2nd wireless external bell box with flashing light installed. I added wireless smoke detectors too and it is all controlled by an app on my phone/iPad. You can now add CCTV cameras which are part of the movement sensors so I wouldn't buy a separate CCTV system without checking out the HKC offering.

As said above it is really a deterrent in the hope the oxygen thieves break into your neighbours house instead of yours....

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

swann CCTV system is great. easy install and setup. check maplin outlet on eBay. no point In paying full price for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
+1 for HKC alarms. I had an old wired system which I converted to an HKC hybrid system with both wired & wireless parts. The existing wired movement sensors still work and I also had a wireless bell sounder inside the garage and a 2nd wireless external bell box with flashing light installed. I added wireless smoke detectors too and it is all controlled by an app on my phone/iPad. You can now add CCTV cameras which are part of the movement sensors so I wouldn't buy a separate CCTV system without checking out the HKC offering.

As said above it is really a deterrent in the hope the oxygen thieves break into your neighbours house instead of yours....
Just out of interest where did you get your HKC stuff from? I was struggling to find anywhere good last time I was looking for bits.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Just out of interest where did you get your HKC stuff from? I was struggling to find anywhere good last time I was looking for bits.
I used a professional installer to upgrade the system. Sorry if I inferred I did it myself

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:25 AM   #11
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all the replies,

- Honeywell are mostly coming up when I google wired alarm systems
- I will check out texecom aswell
- As for Hkc, it seems difficult to find a full package and seems like everything's sell separately?
- Costco swan systems say one of their installers would fit it? Is that right or Have I read that wrong?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

We use texecom and Visonic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Go for layered structure.

However don't make it too obvious, as too much visible security actually increases how much of a target you are.

These days the likes of HKC etc can offer a mix of wired, wireless, cameras and remote access.

A lot also depends on perimeter access to property, making it hard to get access to rear garden etc is best way.

Also having two tier access doors to house, we have two front and two rear doors, so they have to get through both.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #14
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

I've got a 4 camera Swann and it's very easy to use and view from my iPhone.

Pretty sure same as Maplin/Costco sell, but got it from Screwfix a lot cheaper as it was on special and had a voucher too!

In the kit there's a setup service where you can pay Swann to send an engineer to install for you. It was about 175 and considering the work he did it was a bargain!
Appreciate 0