THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Which Stage 1 to get for my 16 M235i xDrive CV

Closed Thread

08-29-2016, 05:12 AM   #1
chobit
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cab - Blue

Which Stage 1 to get for my 16 M235i xDrive CV

I just bought a 2016 M235i xDrive CV (8 Speed) 1 day old =D

I read through many post including the In-Depth Guide to Tuning your M235i, However, I am unable to find my answer, as many of the mod seems to lead toward other upgrades.

All I really want is to do a 1 time Mod that won't void my warranty, and I am ok with removing the cabling each time I go to the dealership if necessary.

I don't plan on doing any other additional mod, so no intake, no DP, etc.

Suggestions please?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

It sounds like the new tune burger running just released would be right up your alley. It's plug and play and if you do not plan on doing other mods it probably one of your best options.

A lot of other people like the A8 active Autowerks tune and the race chip ultimate.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

If ease of install is important then the new 1 plug solutions from either BMS or Dinan are cheap and 2 minute installs.

Next up will be 2 plug solutions, these take 5 minutes to install and may offer a slightly smoother power curve and a little more power as they are impacting additional stuff. These range from the BMS stage 1, AFE Scorcher, RaceChip Ultimate (this is in order of price) I've used both BMS stage 1 and RC Ultimate and found the RC Ultimate to be a little better in drivability.

Next is stage 1.5 as they connect to the same 2 plugs as the stage 1, but add the camshaft sensor to control boost by RPM. This will be AA8 and RaceChip Ultimate w/Bluetooth. I currently run the AA8 and find it better than both stage 1's I've run in terms of power and delivery; it's also waterproof and mounts to a factory bolt for clean install.

Finally, JB4 has additional sensors for EWG and flexfuel if you want to run some E85. It also plugs into the OBD port which I think is what allows you to change maps through the steering wheel. This will be longest install of the bunch, probably 45 minutes to hour first time and 20 minutes after you know what you're doing. This will give the most power with mods. If you aren't going to add any mods or run some E85, then you won't yield the benefits of this more advanced tune, so stick with the easier install options.

There is no 1 tune for a definitive answer, they all work and give you more power. The Dinan is $100 more than the BMS 1 plug solution, but allows map switching via your phone, while I think the BMS you turn a dial inside the box.
      08-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
chobit
Rep

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
If ease of install is important then the new 1 plug solutions from either BMS or Dinan are cheap and 2 minute installs.

Next up will be 2 plug solutions, these take 5 minutes to install and may offer a slightly smoother power curve and a little more power as they are impacting additional stuff. These range from the BMS stage 1, AFE Scorcher, RaceChip Ultimate (this is in order of price) I've used both BMS stage 1 and RC Ultimate and found the RC Ultimate to be a little better in drivability.

Next is stage 1.5 as they connect to the same 2 plugs as the stage 1, but add the camshaft sensor to control boost by RPM. This will be AA8 and RaceChip Ultimate w/Bluetooth. I currently run the AA8 and find it better than both stage 1's I've run in terms of power and delivery; it's also waterproof and mounts to a factory bolt for clean install.

Finally, JB4 has additional sensors for EWG and flexfuel if you want to run some E85. It also plugs into the OBD port which I think is what allows you to change maps through the steering wheel. This will be longest install of the bunch, probably 45 minutes to hour first time and 20 minutes after you know what you're doing. This will give the most power with mods. If you aren't going to add any mods or run some E85, then you won't yield the benefits of this more advanced tune, so stick with the easier install options.

There is no 1 tune for a definitive answer, they all work and give you more power. The Dinan is $100 more than the BMS 1 plug solution, but allows map switching via your phone, while I think the BMS you turn a dial inside the box.
Wow. Thank you. You have a lot of good info here. I think I will stay with a 2 plug Stage 1 or the Stage 1.5 if the main diff. is a few hundred dollars more. With that being said, I have some more questions.

1> Is both the Stage 1 and Stage 1.5 Plug-in undetectable by the dealer if it's removed before taking the car in?

2> Do they throw out CEL?

3> How does it affect the ECO > SPORT+ mode? Or/and the M/S setting?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit View Post
Wow. Thank you. You have a lot of good info here. I think I will stay with a 2 plug Stage 1 or the Stage 1.5 if the main diff. is a few hundred dollars more. With that being said, I have some more questions.

1> Is both the Stage 1 and Stage 1.5 Plug-in undetectable by the dealer if it's removed before taking the car in?

2> Do they throw out CEL?

3> How does it affect the ECO > SPORT+ mode? Or/and the M/S setting?

Thanks
This has been debated forever regarding hidden shadow tuner codes, but if you take out the tune, I've not seen/heard of people getting denied warranty claims from uninstalled piggyback tune. Nobody will guarantee anything though.

The higher the boost, the better chance you'll throw a code, so I'd stick to the stock settings on the 2 plug tunes as I know the AA8 I've got pushes over 5.5 extra psi of boost at some levels of the RPM range while the 2 plug tunes seem to be closer to 3-4 psi. I've gotten 1 CEL in 2 years and this was when car wasn't fully warmed up, deleted it with a cheap code reader and have had my electric fan replaced and no issues with warranty. The extra cam sensor plug is tricky to get to of the 1.5 stage tunes if you have big hands. Once you've figured out how to disconnect it, I find it easy, but others think it's a pain in the butt, so beware if you aren't mechanically inclined or good working with small spaces.

The tunes have no impact at all on eco/sport m/s modes. All they are doing is upping the boost while using the BMW power band, just higher at every level. Of course comfort will feel more powerful/responsive vs prior to the tune because you're pushing more boost/power.

JB stage 1 is by far the most used 2 plug tune for BMWs. You can adjust boost up/down a bit depending on what works best for your car and the quality of gas you are using. Stock setting I think it's 4 psi boost increase.

Good luck
      08-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #6
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
This has been debated forever regarding hidden shadow tuner codes, but if you take out the tune, I've not seen/heard of people getting denied warranty claims from uninstalled piggyback tune. Nobody will guarantee anything though.

The higher the boost, the better chance you'll throw a code, so I'd stick to the stock settings on the 2 plug tunes as I know the AA8 I've got pushes over 5.5 extra psi of boost at some levels of the RPM range while the 2 plug tunes seem to be closer to 3-4 psi. I've gotten 1 CEL in 2 years and this was when car wasn't fully warmed up, deleted it with a cheap code reader and have had my electric fan replaced and no issues with warranty. The extra cam sensor plug is tricky to get to of the 1.5 stage tunes if you have big hands. Once you've figured out how to disconnect it, I find it easy, but others think it's a pain in the butt, so beware if you aren't mechanically inclined or good working with small spaces.

The tunes have no impact at all on eco/sport m/s modes. All they are doing is upping the boost while using the BMW power band, just higher at every level. Of course comfort will feel more powerful/responsive vs prior to the tune because you're pushing more boost/power.

JB stage 1 is by far the most used 2 plug tune for BMWs. You can adjust boost up/down a bit depending on what works best for your car and the quality of gas you are using. Stock setting I think it's 4 psi boost increase.

Good luck

When people say stage one is that also including the Jb+ as well?
I'm in a similar boat as OP in that I'm trying to figure out pros and cons between JB+ and stage 1 and the info is conflicting a lot of the time
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #7
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

The new Dinan Sport Tune is pretty decent for the money. I installed it on my N20 X3 and it's been really great. Installed in less than a minute. it's also available for the 235 N55. $300.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Get the Jb stage 1 Harness B ... Check the vendor section some vendors including us offer it with a 14 days money back guarantee

You can also try the JB+ , it might not make as much power as the stage 1 but the increase is very noticeable, you can also adjust boost for more power and it comes at an unbeatable price

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Jadar1750.50
      08-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

You wont find anything that has a warranty like Dinan, you get what you pay for. I would never put a cheap 14 day warranty product in my car.
      08-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
chobit
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
The new Dinan Sport Tune is pretty decent for the money. I installed it on my N20 X3 and it's been really great. Installed in less than a minute. it's also available for the 235 N55. $300.
Isn't the Dinan Tune like over $2000? (Sorry, I figured that out. I thought the less expensive tune is at the top of their list =D )
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1235/
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
You wont find anything that has a warranty like Dinan, you get what you pay for. I would never put a cheap 14 day warranty product in my car.
It's not a 14 day warranty, it was a money back guarantee.

The BMS Tuning products offer a 1 year warranty on the product itself.

Dinan has it's benefits but other tunes have their place too.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit
I just bought a 2016 M235i xDrive CV (8 Speed) 1 day old =D

I read through many post including the In-Depth Guide to Tuning your M235i, However, I am unable to find my answer, as many of the mod seems to lead toward other upgrades.

All I really want is to do a 1 time Mod that won't void my warranty, and I am ok with removing the cabling each time I go to the dealership if necessary.

I don't plan on doing any other additional mod, so no intake, no DP, etc.

Suggestions please?
The only proven and plausible tune at this point is BMS. Plus their insanely good support. If you're going the piggy back route you will make a mistake if you choose another one.

Their car with the jb4 and meth made 458rwhp. I can't even touch that with my stage 1 turbo upgrade on my n55..
      08-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
It's not a 14 day warranty, it was a money back guarantee.

The BMS Tuning products offer a 1 year warranty on the product itself.

Dinan has it's benefits but other tunes have their place too.
What benefits does Dinan offer besides selling false claim that you retain oem warranty which is bullshit...ask me for proof.

Dinan is garbage and a rip off.
      08-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy
They don't warranty shit...you guys are delusional. Good luck fighting it. Ask cryptocar how that worked out for him for a blown charge pipe and a Dinan stage 2
      08-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
the 14 days is a money back warranty, meaning if you dont like it you can return free of charge.

the actual warranty is 1 year + unlimited support and free upgrades.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #16
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
What benefits does Dinan offer besides selling false claim that you retain oem warranty which is bullshit...ask me for proof.

My opinion is all your cheap mods are garbage products. I wouldn't put jb4 in my car for free.
      08-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My opinion is all your cheap mods are garbage products. I wouldn't put jb4 in my car for free.
Well it's why we're all people we all have opinions

Feel free to sit in the slowest corner of any performance realm and pay $3000 grand for your +3 psi

Dinan is a has been and is hangin on by false claim of a thing called warranty that does not honor. Use the search button and see for yourself how great they are at honoring it.

The funny thing is you say you wouldn't use jb4 for free and it's exactly what Dinan did with their system is tap into map and t map and wrap a pretty wire loom cover on it with a pretty box to house the board, and charge you $3,000. But yeah Dinan is great it offers so much I've installed it, uninstalled it, it's nothing more that a terrible copy of jb4...

I guess we're on the same page but opposite i wouldn't use the dinatronics for free. More drivetrain errors per piggyback guaranteed m, have fun w that.

And I'm flash tuned jb4 is an added bonus.
      08-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Feel free to sit in the slowest corner of any performance realm and pay $3000 grand for your +3 psi

Dinan is a has been and is hangin on by false claim of a thing called warranty that does not honor. Use the search button and see for yourself how great they are at honoring it.

The funny thing is you say you wouldn't use jb4 for free and it's exactly what Dinan did with their system is tap into map and t map and wrap a pretty wire loom cover on it with a pretty box to house the board, and charge you $3,000. But yeah Dinan is great it offers so much I've installed it, uninstalled it, it's nothing more that a terrible copy of jb4...

I guess we're on the same page but opposite i wouldn't use the dinatronics for free. More drivetrain errors per piggyback guaranteed m, have fun w that.

I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your cheap garbage tune
      08-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your cheap garbage tune
Yep Dinan is the best they offer all the piece of mind. Have fun being beaten by a simple mppk car

I'll stick to my dumpster low rent mods especially my pure turbo upgrade its so incredibly low rent I don't know how I can live with myself.
      08-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep Dinan is the best they offer all the piece of mind. Have fun being beaten by a simple mppk car

I'll stick to my dumpster low rent mods especially my pure turbo upgrade its so incredibly low rent I don't know how I can live with myself.
As I said, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your cheap garbage tune and mods! As long as you're happy that's all that counts!
      08-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

As I said, I'm happy to hear that you're happy with your cheap garbage tune and mods! As long as you're happy that's all that counts!
No as long as we're both happy is what counts I'm not a jerk I'm just opinionated
      08-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Isn't the Dinan Tune like over $2000? (Sorry, I figured that out. I thought the less expensive tune is at the top of their list =D )
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1235/
Yeah most expensive and least gain in performance. But don't worry you get a year warranty and this thing they say the cover your car if it fails