THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB How to Check Coolant Level

09-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

How to Check Coolant Level

I don't see the minimum and maximum marks on the coolant tank in our 235 that are mentioned in the owners manual. Can someone give me a clue where they are? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Best to take the plastic engine cover off.

(while facing the windshield) on right side of coolant tank below the plastic circumference seam, on the rearward 1/3 is an inverted triangle with a similar width horizontal line at the apex. That's the minimum level.

At the center of the coolant tank same side is a triangle with base on the bottom and it's similar width horizontal line at the top apex is right at the tanks circumference seam - that is maximum level.

Tip: when I take my engine cover off, the forward right grommet comes off the engine cover and remains on the post. I take it off the post and press circular fit it back in it's hole. That way you feel all four point pop into place when replacing on top of engine.

Last edited by overcoil; 09-04-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Best to take the plastic engine cover off.

(while facing the windshield) on right side of coolant tank below the plastic circumference seam, on the rearward 1/3 is an inverted triangle with a similar width horizontal line at the apex. That's the minimum level.

At the center of the coolant tank same side is a triangle with base on the bottom and it's similar width horizontal line at the top apex is right at the tanks circumference seam - that is maximum level.

Tip: when I take my engine cover off, the forward right grommet comes off the engine cover and remains on the post. I take it off the post and press circular fit it back in it's hole. That way you feel all four point pop into place when replacing on top of engine.
Thanks Scott. So the engine cover just pulls straight up? Nothing to disconnect or unscrew?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Yep, straight up.

Attempt to view coolant reservoir with a flashlight first. That way you may not need to pull up engine cover.

You can feel for the triangles first then shine flashlight on the area.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Doesn't the car tell you when it's thirsty?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Doesn't the car tell you when it's thirsty?
Yes car has a low coolant warning.
But if you:
want to refill coolant after a change, check level periodically or chk levels before a road trip.
Appreciate 0