R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

09-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #1
MattyR
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Leather treatment/protectant

I am curious to see what others use if they have applied a protectant themselves for their leather interior?

Also what is used for cleaning purposes?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I recently switched to Leather Masters products and couldn't be happier. Very high quality stuff, and my leather has never looked so good. The first step is a leather cleaner before applying the cream.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Grover1971
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Personally I like to use this stuff:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/interior-...erconditioner/

I use it once every 3 months. Keeps leather looking tip top.

Apparently has aloe vera in it - does the same job to car leather as it does to our skin. Keeps it from cracking and moisturised - does a good job cleaning minor marks off as well.

Use it sparingly though. No need to slosh it on.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover1971 View Post
Personally I like to use this stuff:

http://www.meguiars.com.au/interior-...erconditioner/

I use it once every 3 months. Keeps leather looking tip top.

Apparently has aloe vera in it - does the same job to car leather as it does to our skin. Keeps it from cracking and moisturised - does a good job cleaning minor marks off as well.

Use it sparingly though. No need to slosh it on.
Car leathers are treated sealed leathers; and the aloe vera is unlikely to soak through like human skin.

Not saying that the cleaning agents are not working, just that the additional 'oils' & 'additives' are not really doing anything extra.

There is a lot more information on this on Detailing Forums - and this seems to be the general view that the less the leathers are treated by products, the better it is. The main recommendation is to clean it regularly using a damp moist cloth !
      09-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
JL1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyR View Post
I am curious to see what others use if they have applied a protectant themselves for their leather interior?

Also what is used for cleaning purposes?

Cheers.
Hey mate,

I actually purchased the BMW cleaning kit from my local dealer.

Comes with foam leather cleaner, leather lotion and wheel cleaner along with a few applicators and wipes.

The leather lotion is awesome, has UV stabilizer obviously for areas that are in direct sunlight.

I'd highly recommend it!
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      09-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
Grover1971
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Car leathers are treated sealed leathers; and the aloe vera is unlikely to soak through like human skin.
Is that right? I wasn't aware of that...

Adding this treatment certainly seems to keep the leather more supple though, and doing so over the years I've never had the misfortune of any lines/cracks appear on my leather.

I'm a bit more circumspect with the Merino leather though. I don't tend to apply as much product as I normally would and just give it a quick once over, mainly in the high traffic areas like the seat bolsters etc.

I'm quite keen to see how the Merino wears. From all reports I've read thus far, it seems to be a pretty decent leather and holds up pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

imo modern leather doesn't need a dedicated conditioner anymore with the pu coatings

i use leatherique prestine clean either by wet short nap mf or bristled brush depending on how dirty

every now and then ill use a leather conditioner (zaino z10/duragloss 221/prima nourish its all the same rebranded) for the smell and fun of it, but with pu coating it will only ever sit on top of the leather and transfer onto my clothes within a few days

i have yet to try any of the leather protectant 'coatings' like exist for paint and plastics, optimum leather, gyeon leather coat etc. i doubt they'd last very long with the abrasion of moving around in the seat etc
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:36 AM   #8
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover1971 View Post
Is that right? I wasn't aware of that...

Adding this treatment certainly seems to keep the leather more supple though, and doing so over the years I've never had the misfortune of any lines/cracks appear on my leather.

I'm a bit more circumspect with the Merino leather though. I don't tend to apply as much product as I normally would and just give it a quick once over, mainly in the high traffic areas like the seat bolsters etc.

I'm quite keen to see how the Merino wears. From all reports I've read thus far, it seems to be a pretty decent leather and holds up pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
imo modern leather doesn't need a dedicated conditioner anymore with the pu coatings

i use leatherique prestine clean either by wet short nap mf or bristled brush depending on how dirty

every now and then ill use a leather conditioner (zaino z10/duragloss 221/prima nourish its all the same rebranded) for the smell and fun of it, but with pu coating it will only ever sit on top of the leather and transfer onto my clothes within a few days

i have yet to try any of the leather protectant 'coatings' like exist for paint and plastics, optimum leather, gyeon leather coat etc. i doubt they'd last very long with the abrasion of moving around in the seat etc
Modern leathers (including merino) is coated and quite durable. What makes leather crack & dry out is usually dirt and grime - and not necessarily the lack of nourishment. Dirt & grime eventually get through the coatings; so the best protection is to keep the leather clean. Prevention rather than cure.

GTechniq L1 protective coating seems to work brilliantly (reports on forums and own experience) as it puts a hard wearing coating layer on top and this prevents staining & dye transfer. Any dirt now seems to only stay on top and is easily wiped off with a damp microfibre.

I agree with domino; clean regularly and then occasionally apply a leather conditioner - if for nothing else the smell
      09-07-2016, 04:28 AM   #9
MattyR
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Thanks for the feedback all much appreciated!
Appreciate 0