BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Intro/Initial Review

09-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
iceboss23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Intro/Initial Review

Hey all. New guy here on these forums. I'm coming from having a couple Audis including a 2010 S4 that I did some mods to and tracked a few times. I was also fairly active, at least for the first few years, on the Audizine forums and look forward to seeing what the BMW community is like. Please feel free to direct this newb to good sites/threads to learn about the community/tuners/reputable shops.

Intro done, I just picked up my 2016 M2 on Saturday after enduring a less than pleasant experience with the dealership waiting for the whole differential shenanigan. I will say that I am ecstatic about my color choice of BSM as they had an X5M in LBB in the showroom and I was not impressed. Too turquoise for my taste. Definitely an eye catcher but I am definitely happy with black.

Those hips tho...

Coming from a tuned S4 with Audi Drive Select (button controlled suspension) I was a little nervous about the harshness of the ride. I can safely say after taking a good 350 mile drive today that the suspension is no longer a concern. Definitely a sporty ride but even on the messed up MD and NJ roads it was no more harsh than what I'm used to and definitely livable.

The one thing I was less than impressed with was the vibration transferred through the 6mt stick. The S4 was a DCT so perhaps I've just forgotten but after maybe 20 minutes leaving my hand on the stick it had gone numb. Not a huge deal but I drive a lot and that had been kind of my default driving position so time to find a new one I guess.

As far as seat position, I cant even tell if/that it is off center as some have brought up here before.

I'm still in the break in period so haven't put it through much of a workout yet but it definitely puts a smile on my face when I do. I'm trying to get it through break in quickly so I can get to a couple track events this month.

The idrive system seems to be a lot better than the last time I tried one out before buying the Audi in 09 but there's a lot to it I'm still learning so any hints/tips on that are also welcome. I can say that the bluetooth connection to my iPhone 6S+ is really nice to have but the volume has to be turned way up which concerns me.

That's probably enough for now so TIA for any advice and I'll see you all on the road.
Appreciate 1
pup73516.50
      09-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

I'm coming from a 07 Audi rs4, that thing was a beast. 4.2L NA 420hp redline around 8k. The m2 is def lighter more agile and I like the turbo feel. I do think the RS had a better stock exhaust tone though and interior for that time. But man this m2 is UNNNNNRRREEEAAALL and I agree with LBB, I went AW had black on my last car. Enjoy :0) . Break in sucks. Also any track plans? Can you track as soon as break in is done? I am going to ease her in and try going in end of winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Congrats! Almost purchased a S5 before considering an M2..glad I held out!
Great colour choice btw!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

You need to get rid of that habit. Keeping your hand on the gear lever while in gear will create pressure on the transmission and can cause damage over time.
Appreciate 4
      09-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Taking delivery of my M2 in a month or so, and also coming from an S4 (2013). Was your S4 stock suspension? You mention the M2 is comfortable/livable but how would you compare to the stock S4 suspension? Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
The BSM does look nice. I don't know why, but I thought LBB was exclusive to the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
You need to get rid of that habit. Keeping your hand on the gear lever while in gear will create pressure on the transmission and can cause damage over time.
+1

I never knew that was not good for the transmission until I watched an episode of the Engineering Explained youtube channel. It took a long time to break that habit...

Appreciate 3
      09-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
iceboss23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew
Taking delivery of my M2 in a month or so, and also coming from an S4 (2013). Was your S4 stock suspension? You mention the M2 is comfortable/livable but how would you compare to the stock S4 suspension? Cheers!
Yes it was the stock ADS suspension. The ADS system had three levels of stiffness much like I assume the system in the m3/m4. It has been a month or so but I'd say the dynamic setting is very comparable to the m2 suspension while the comfort was obviously a bit softer. I never drove the S4 without ADS but I'm told it was somewhere between the dynamic and auto (mid range) setting. Bottom line is these aren't the most comfy cars for long distance driving but I just put ~6 hours in today with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
iceboss23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla
I'm coming from a 07 Audi rs4, that thing was a beast. 4.2L NA 420hp redline around 8k. The m2 is def lighter more agile and I like the turbo feel. I do think the RS had a better stock exhaust tone though and interior for that time. But man this m2 is UNNNNNRRREEEAAALL and I agree with LBB, I went AW had black on my last car. Enjoy :0) . Break in sucks. Also any track plans? Can you track as soon as break in is done? I am going to ease her in and try going in end of winter.
From what I have read here people are tracking as soon as they get their post break in service. After all that is part of what these cars were designed for. Anyone with better info feel free to correct me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #10
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
+1

I never knew that was not good for the transmission until I watched an episode of the Engineering Explained youtube channel. It took a long time to break that habit...

+2

I never did this anyways but once i found out it was bad, i was like "well snap, i was doing something right for once without knowing it"
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats on your new ride and welcome!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
+2

I never did this anyways but once i found out it was bad, i was like "well snap, i was doing something right for once without knowing it"
+3

Never drive with hand on the shifter, it's not good for the transmission.

And congrats on the new ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
+3

Never drive with hand on the shifter, it's not good for the transmission.

And congrats on the new ride!
From day 1, I was taught to keep my hand off the shifter and my foot off the clutch, except, of course when actually changing gears. -scr
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 05:32 PM   #14
iceboss23
Private
Rep

So quick update after the second long (400+ mile) trip. I am surprised by how comfortable the car is. I have always heard that M cars are super stiff and punishing and while it certainly is bumpy over bridges and rough roads, for the most part it's a great ride.

Secondly, the brakes are fantastic. I haven't really pushed them hard yet but they are super grippy but still somehow very smooth. Whatever setup I had last on the S4 made my wife sick more often than not. Happy that isnt going to be the case here.

Finally got my phone hooked up properly and it is so nice to enter the 21st century and have streaming music, podcasts, pandora, laptimer... whatever.

I have noticed that there is a bit of a rattle when I hit bumps coming from the back end. Anyone else notice this?
Appreciate 0