BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
gtb75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06

USDM body color front reflector inserts?

So here's a question for you guys - is anybody planning to fabricate a flush insert that fits in place of the OE orange front reflectors? I've seen the threads for the painted reflectors, but that seems like a band-aid solution to me... Painted is better, but I want the reflectors gone completely! I understand there would still be an outline where the reflector was located, but at least it would be flush and would match the contour of the bumper... Something like the round cover on the passenger side of the front bumper for the recovery eyelet.

Does that make sense and, if it does, who would be interested? Hopefully a vendor would pick up the idea and fabricate a solution if we can generate enough interest

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon
Brilliant Silver / Tweed M5 - 229AWHP / 260AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Reflectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb75 View Post
So here's a question for you guys - is anybody planning to fabricate a flush insert that fits in place of the OE orange front reflectors? I've seen the threads for the painted reflectors, but that seems like a band-aid solution to me... Painted is better, but I want the reflectors gone completely! I understand there would still be an outline where the reflector was located, but at least it would be flush and would match the contour of the bumper... Something like the round cover on the passenger side of the front bumper for the recovery eyelet.

Does that make sense and, if it does, who would be interested? Hopefully a vendor would pick up the idea and fabricate a solution if we can generate enough interest
That would be better, but noone ever did it for the E46 M3. Best option is to have a body shop fill and repaint, or just get the Euro bumper cover and keep the stock one for when you sell it. I'll be taking this latter route, as soon as the part is available to order.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
If someone makes it, it will probably look like the E92's reflector area. Your going to get a this outline of the reflector. IMO i rather have it come out than have 2 weird looking outlines.
      04-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

I too am leaning towards replacing with a Euro bumper when I get my car. However, due to cost I may just get the covers.

Here is my main concern, I've ordered SSII. How easy is it to repaint cars in M specific colors. I assume most body shops will have a tough time matching the color exactly. I rather have the orange deflectors than to have a mismatched bumper.

Anyone have experience on how to best address the repaint of M specific colors. I live in Ohio and would need the work to be done locally. (i.e don't suggest a body shop in CA, but rather a solution that is viable on the national level)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Matching paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I too am leaning towards replacing with a Euro bumper when I get my car. However, due to cost I may just get the covers.

Here is my main concern, I've ordered SSII. How easy is it to repaint cars in M specific colors. I assume most body shops will have a tough time matching the color exactly. I rather have the orange deflectors than to have a mismatched bumper.

Anyone have experience on how to best address the repaint of M specific colors. I live in Ohio and would need the work to be done locally. (i.e don't suggest a body shop in CA, but rather a solution that is viable on the national level)
First quality body should not have a problem matching the color, especially if they use factory brand paint. M-specific does not make any difference. Find out who the lokal BMW, Mercedes and Porsche dealers use for repairs.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Anyone know where to get clear reflectors instead of the yellow ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

these ones are painted to your body color but they arent clear you can buy them here ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E90-E...spagenameZWDVW

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
Anyone know where to get clear reflectors instead of the yellow ones?
Clears were notorious for cracking/not fitting on E46, so I would imagine much the same for the E92.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Best option is to have a body shop fill and repaint, or just get the Euro bumper cover and keep the stock one for when you sell it. I'll be taking this latter route, as soon as the part is available to order.

Agreed! I Might Fill and Repaint, But what I would LOVE to do Is just go with
The Euro Bumper BUT with the Front Sensors!
By the Time I get my Car, Im going to do some Research to see if I can
buy what is Needed as far as Front Sensor Parts goes to have them Functionable!!!
I love the Front Sensors and Dont know Why we didnt get them in the States!
If I can do that and its not Too Much Money, Im deffinetly going to go that route!

What you think Greg, You think It would be Possible to add the Front Sensors
if I get the Euro Bumper with the Sensors and Get the Parts to Make it work
on the Car???

Thanks

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
MTrizzy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

I would love to see a pair of quality clear reflectors, but im not getting my hopes up. All the ones i have purchase for cars in the past end up cracking and leaking...Euro bumper seems a little extreme, but hey if you got the money I say its the best option!

AW E92 M3|E92 LuX|Piaa GTX H3| Rear Fog Light Mod | Ventureshield (Raja)
|Eisenmann Race Exhaust |Macht Schnell Filter | Black Grills | Black Sides | H&R Springs | Fabspeed X-Pipe & High Flow Cats| CF VRS II rep diffuser|Most powerful Scoops in the world|
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
gtb75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06

The euro bumper would be the ideal solution, but expensive... Figure the cost of the bumper + at least $500 to shoot it. If a paint-to-match insert is the alternative, I guess I'd rather have a flush version and live with the outline - but that's me. We've already got an outline for the recovery eyelt cover, so what's a few more?

Either way, the aftermarket is just getting ramped up for the new M3... I'm sure there will be lots of options in a few months time!

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon
Brilliant Silver / Tweed M5 - 229AWHP / 260AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

what do you guys think the euro bumper will cost unpainted?

I have the same dilema. I cant stand the orange reflectors. Its like dating a beautiful girl with a hairy mole on her face.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #13
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

what do you guys think the euro bumper will cost unpainted?

I have the same dilema. I cant stand the orange reflectors. Its like dating a beautiful girl with a hairy mole on her face.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep

ok price run down.....

All Euro peices:

Front bumper with PDC and Washers $582
Front Bumper with Just washers $561
Front bumper blank no washers no PDC $539

the prices have been run down to the nearest dollar.

you can expect a paint job to come at around $300 to $600

total cost to cover some holes $850+

I am going to talk to my shop and see if they are interested in fabricating flush inserts just like the circle insert in the front bumper for the towing hook.

Will let you guys know cause this option might interest me as well if they come out well.

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)

Last edited by Jinxter; 04-23-2008 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
ok price run down.....

All Euro prices:

Depending on How much more the Front PDC Unit will be and all the necessary
parts I need to make the Front PDC Work will determain if its worth it or not....
I wanna hit two birds with once stone here, get the reflectors removed and
get front PDC to work "If Possible"

Is It possible to get the prices for the Front PDC or would anyone know
what parts we need to make it work?
I already have a close friend at the dealer/service so he is going to do the PDC install!

E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Depending on How much more the Front PDC Unit will be and all the necessary
parts I need to make the Front PDC Work will determain if its worth it or not....
I wanna hit two birds with once stone here, get the reflectors removed and
get front PDC to work "If Possible"

Is It possible to get the prices for the Front PDC or would anyone know
what parts we need to make it work?
I already have a close friend at the dealer/service so he is going to do the PDC install!
If he works there he can probably get you the prices as well

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep

Quote:
If he works there he can probably get you the prices as well
Ya im going to call him after work, see if he can find out....

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #18
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post
Ya im going to call him after work, see if he can find out....

Thanks
I'd find out for you but my dealer is starting to get annoyed with my calls for random part that I am not ordering lol

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok price run down.....

All Euro prices:

Front Bumper with Just washers $561
Front bumper blank no washers no PDC $539

the prices have been run down to the nearest dollar.

you can expect a paint job to come at around $300 to $600

total cost to cover some holes $850+

I am going to talk to my shop and see if they are interested in fabricating flush inserts just like the circle insert in the front bumper for the towing hook.

Will let you guys know cause this option might interest me as well if they come out well.
Wow--you're converting Euro prices? Is it anything like cars where the US price is quite a bit less? I only paid just over $300 for my E46 Euro front bumper cover 3 years or so ago.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #20
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Wow--you're converting Euro prices? Is it anything like cars where the US price is quite a bit less? I only paid just over $300 for my E46 Euro front bumper cover 3 years or so ago.
not converting thats US list price from the dealership. as for instance I already ordered my self the Euro switch assembly for the rear fog lights. It looks like this.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
not converting thats US list price from the dealership. as for instance I already ordered my self the Euro switch assembly for the rear fog lights. It looks like this.
How much was that? Guess you might as well install some front fogs now, maybe some tiny ones in the front ducts?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

^
Appreciate 0