E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Question about mutant USB install

09-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 330d coupe

Question about mutant USB install

I'm in the planning stage of a USB setup using an external USB box. It has a standard USB port and my aim is to extend it so I have the USB in the center console. Right now I just have the oem AUX input there. I can think of a couple of ways of going about it, and if anyone knows more than I do (which is pretty much everyone) I'd be grateful for any pointers, do's or dont's.

Method 1: plug and pray

- replace the AUX-only port with an oem or similar AUX+USB port:
http://www.banggood.com/USB-Aux-Swit...p-1003409.html
- connect the USB to one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-AU...3D161162914100
- connect that to the box's port using a male-to-male USB cable.

Method 2: cut and solder

So start with the same AUX+USB port fitted in the center console, but instead of just plugging in the different cables, cut the circular green USB cable connected to the console port, then take another standard USB cable, cut that wire in two then make a single cable out of those by soldering the 4 strands together, matching color to color.

Method 3: mutilate the center console port:

- get one of these fellows, not sure if I'd need the selectable version or not, no idea what that even means
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2946
- somehow remove the female USB port and replace it with the female end of a standard female-to-male USB cable. Then simply run the male end into the USB port on the box.

Method 1 looks too simple to be true, method 2 sounds as simple as pissing downstream but could end up with me walking in soaked yellow shoes, and method 3 could just be above my skill level (whenever I read the word 'pin' an angel gets explosive diarrhea).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

Well it looks like I'm talking to myself but anyway just in case someone is reading that has the USB in the center console/armrest I have a couple of easy questions:

- have you ever had the case of USB sticks not quite fitting in there when they're planter vertically? It's mighty low-ceilinged in there.
- can you actually slot/un-slot USB plugs on the move? Doable or a recipe for a quick crash?

I've been wondering about maybe converting one of the unused buttons in block with the seat heaters into a USB port, not sure I'd want to do the usual sunglasses tray conversion.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 05:04 AM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

1. yes, but bmw supply small extension cable to resolve this problem
2. it is not easy with or or without cable, but depends on the version of the socket
earlie models had shutter on usb socket, newer do not have it and it is easier to insert cable in socket without shutter
      09-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the input Ptpending, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

So what do you have equipment wise in your vehicle? idrive, mulf, combox???

Do You have a present port in the Glove box?
      09-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

The car is a Dec.2007 e92 with 676 HiFi, professional nav (DVD, 8.8" LCD) with CCC iDrive. I had a quick look in the boot and it looks like I just have a TCU in there. I do have bluetooth which works a treat (calls only) and a truckload of options that I never use and doubt I ever will: 6AA BMW teleservices, 6AB control teleservices, 612 BMW assist, 616 BMW online, 620 voice input system (in German which is a giggle but a bit useless), 633 prep. Mobile phone business bluetooth interface, 672 CD changer (MP3)

And that's it, none of the USB options, 6FL, 6NL, none of those. The car is an ex BMW company car that I went to Germany to buy. Guess they figured that CD changer was enough.

I had a good look at a possible USB retrofit but it's just not worth going there, mine is close to a worst case scenario. Very happy with the navigation still (75P prof. Nav. With handy prep bluetooth). Probably won't change the head unit although 1DIN motorized units give me a semi. Not paying 500 squids for the only Dension models that work with MOST. Not willing to drop the CD changer. But I found a model that should work a treat (Trioma SKIF). Once it's in place, and you plug a USB, it activates on the fly and it replaces the CD changer. Remove the stick and you get the CD changer back online. It's not the biggest capacity limit but since my unit is already compatible with mp3s I *should* get 12 folders with 99 mp3s each, which represents around 100 albums roughly. So I get a core of favorites in the CD bay, plus whatever I want on a USB stick I can update regularly. The unit costs just over 200 euros but if it works as intended I could live with that. It keeps everything working through the CCC and iDrive which is key for me. As far as I'm concerned touch screens in cars are a huge mistake and I see enough people unable to keep their lanes because of them. I was in a car this summer, driven by a friend. The guy was playing with his Skoda center-mounted touch screen for 5 mn non stop while erratically correcting his trajectory every few seconds using one arm. No thanks, fuck that in five holes.

So yeah that's the idea but my planning stage got a bit too big since I started searching, comparing products, checking specs etc. I did stumble on some awesome stuff though. How about this one, and no you can't have it, oem only, I know because I emailed them and got the answer today:

http://www.hirschmann-car.com/en/pro...-systems/ehub/

And at the other end of the scale, how about this beauty:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/austral...97&prm=1.2.1.0
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

That's the guy:

http://umno-tech.com/catalog/product...b86d222db5376a
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

i believe that you can source mulf2high with usb wiring fo up to 200 EUR from european junkyards
it can be installed in parallel with tcu only for usb audio
      09-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
RunFlatOut
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
i believe that you can source mulf2high with usb wiring fo up to 200 EUR from european junkyards
it can be installed in parallel with tcu only for usb audio
Thanks for that information. You know, as much as I'd like to do a full OEM retrofit, I'd reached the point where I was quite happy to (quickly) plug in an external box versus taking the car apart, installing, and most of all coding. I've never done coding, I don't have the necessary adapters, I'd have to start from scratch, and it would add a fair amount to the upgrade cost whether I do it myself or get a local mech to code the car.

But then again, you've just made me reconsider...guess I'm good for another round of reading and searching
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

i've said this because if you are consider to install trioma, then mulf2high is a bit harder to install then