F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M sport brake on my 435i convertible. noob question please help
ARMA SPEED

09-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
billybeartku
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible M sport

M sport brake on my 435i convertible. noob question please help

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 435i Convertible with M sport brake system (blue, 4 piston front, 2 piston rear) and I'm going to take my car to a track day in about 2 weeks.

I was told that it's likely that my brake system might get heat stress and be dangerous, is that true? That kind of raised my concern and I started to look into Brembo GT Braking system and am not sure if I should upgrade it for this track day. So I guess my question is, is there any need to replace or upgrade my current m sport braking system?

My daily usage of the car: city, occasional highway. This will be my first track day and I'm sure I won't push my car like I did with the Porsche 911 cup car in the racing school back in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:12 AM   #2
Blacktan
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW f32 428i mpack

Check F8x brake pads ..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybeartku View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 435i Convertible with M sport brake system (blue, 4 piston front, 2 piston rear) and I'm going to take my car to a track day in about 2 weeks.

I was told that it's likely that my brake system might get heat stress and be dangerous, is that true? That kind of raised my concern and I started to look into Brembo GT Braking system and am not sure if I should upgrade it for this track day. So I guess my question is, is there any need to replace or upgrade my current m sport braking system?

My daily usage of the car: city, occasional highway. This will be my first track day and I'm sure I won't push my car like I did with the Porsche 911 cup car in the racing school back in Europe.
Not true, your braking system is perfectly good enough for a track day as a beginner.

Yes they will heat a lot, and their efficiency will be somewhat reduced, but by my experience not by a meaningful margin for people like us tracking occasionally, typically not running very long sessions and cooling down between them.

Now if you're getting serious, I think there are three things to consider:
- pads to F80 pads
- brake fluid to competition fluid
- brake hoses upgrade - will better resist fluid temperature increase

That will be a worthwhile upgrade, as your discs and calipers are already of decent level.
      09-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

You already have the large 370mm front rotor. This gives more margin, than the standard brake rotor.

To be clear. You can ruin any brake. Even Formula one cars can face brake overheat. (same for your tires, dame for your clutch if manual shift)

Slow down for a few miles when you feel, that your brake looses power.
After driving/braking hard don't stop at the pit lane with very hot brakes. Drive a cool off round before coming to a full stop. (that's also good for the engine)

If you have a manual shift, be careful not to ruin your clutch during such a track day! That would be an expensive repair.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Slow down for a few miles when you feel, that your brake looses power.
After driving/braking hard don't stop at the pit lane with very hot brakes. Drive a cool off round before coming to a full stop. (that's also good for the engine)
Very true, I consistently forgot to do so during my first track day and the brake discs were super super hot at stop, no noticeable issue but still striking.