E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2011 E91 - armrest USB... no power/functionality

09-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep
Drives: E46 325i Touring / E91 328xi

2011 E91 - armrest USB... no power/functionality

Does anyone have any idea what fuse (if any) is associated with the USB port in the armrest console?

The USB port on our 2011 is non-functioning. No power, no recognition of iPhone/iPod on radio display, no nothing.

We've only had the car for a few months. We remember that it worked to play music to the head unit a while back, but now, nothing.

We also recall it didn't charge the phone at all. So, there might be no power to it, and thus, no fuse.

I know that earlier models required some kind of Y cable to go from the usb and aux jacks to the phone, but I heard that this was unnecessary for models after 2010.

Anyone ever do any troubleshooting on this thing?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiiger View Post
Does anyone have any idea what fuse (if any) is associated with the USB port in the armrest console?

The USB port on our 2011 is non-functioning. No power, no recognition of iPhone/iPod on radio display, no nothing.

We've only had the car for a few months. We remember that it worked to play music to the head unit a while back, but now, nothing.

We also recall it didn't charge the phone at all. So, there might be no power to it, and thus, no fuse.

I know that earlier models required some kind of Y cable to go from the usb and aux jacks to the phone, but I heard that this was unnecessary for models after 2010.

I think you're on the right track. Most likely it is a fuse issue if you are getting no power at all. I was recently diagnosing the USB port, but my issue was that it was charging and not recognizing my devices. That turned out to be a defective COMBOX.

I've pulled the fuse for the USB port before and vaguely remember its either (14, 15, 18 or 19). I can give you a definitive answer later today when I reference my Bentley manual.

Correction: The USB port is fuse 13.

Last edited by dailowill; 09-19-2016 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowill View Post
I think you're on the right track. Most likely it is a fuse issue if you are getting no power at all. I was recently diagnosing the USB port, but my issue was that it was charging and not recognizing my devices. That turned out to be a defective COMBOX.

I've pulled the fuse for the USB port before and vaguely remember its either (14, 15, 18 or 19). I can give you a definitive answer later today when I reference my Bentley manual.
That would be awesome, many thanks. I'll start with that bank of fuses, anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Whoops, apparently it's fuse 13.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep

hmm. Well, I pulled #13, and it was still in good shape.

(Also pulled 14 & 15 for good measure. Slots 18 and 19 are empty. Our car is the non-nav version, if that matters.)

All the fuses are fine.

The search for this started when the 12V cig lighter jack wasn't working. That fuse WAS blown, so we replaced it, thinking that it also was on the USB circuit.

But apparently it's not.

Not sure if they both crapped out at the same time, though. Or if one caused the other to die or become unresponsive.

Things that make you go "hmmm."

Thanks for hunting that down, though!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:54 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you have to replace or repair combox, or if you are experienced with coding - connect usb cable to another usb port on combox and code it
      09-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ptpending might be right. Since the head unit is not registering the USB option, you might have a defective combox. I would check the cabling first before purchasing a new combox since it's ~400.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
you have to replace or repair combox, or if you are experienced with coding - connect usb cable to another usb port on combox and code it
Hmmm. That sounds like something beyond my pay grade.

Looks like I have some googling to do today. Actual work will have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #9
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:

So after reading your thread, I thought I would chime in. So on my 11 E90 the usb ports loose power and do not connect at times. I found out if I don't have have a usb 12v insert in, then they do not have power. It is an interesting problem, but i have learned to live with it. Maybe you might get power if you try that, but I do not understand why the power stops. I have checked all connections and fuses, however I have not found the issue.
      09-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsarai View Post
I found out if I don't have have a usb 12v insert in, then they do not have power. It is an interesting problem, but i have learned to live with it. Maybe you might get power if you try that, but I do not understand why the power stops.
Thanks! But can you clarify?

not sure what you mean by "if I don't have have a usb 12v insert in"...

would love to know what you're doing as a workaround!

Cheers!

EDIT: I think I know what you mean. You mean if you have something plugged into the cig lighter jack, then you DO get power out of the USB jack? (I think we HAVE had something plugged into it when testing, but I'll confirm that.)

Last edited by tiiger; 09-20-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
djjsarai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW///335i Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! But can you clarify?

not sure what you mean by "if I don't have have a usb 12v insert in"...

would love to know what you're doing as a workaround!

Cheers!

EDIT: I think I know what you mean. You mean if you have something plugged into the cig lighter jack, then you DO get power out of the USB jack? (I think we HAVE had something plugged into it when testing, but I'll confirm that.)
Yes that is what I meant. Sorry for any confusion. Thats how mine works.
      09-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
dailowill
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjsarai View Post
So after reading your thread, I thought I would chime in. So on my 11 E90 the usb ports loose power and do not connect at times. I found out if I don't have have a usb 12v insert in, then they do not have power. It is an interesting problem, but i have learned to live with it. Maybe you might get power if you try that, but I do not understand why the power stops. I have checked all connections and fuses, however I have not found the issue.
That is a very odd issue. I wouldn't think that the cigarette lighter would affect the USBs power draw since the USB port goes straight to the COMBOX (or MULF for earlier models).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
tiiger
Boots lost in transit
Rep

Yeah, I tried your workaround, but no-go. Doesn't matter if anything is plugged into the 12V cig lighter jack or not. USB still not recognized.

So, like dailowill comments, it looks like the COMBOX either needs to be re-coded, or it's faulty.

Is this something that is easily tested? (I know above there's some info about coding; there's apparently a cable I can get, and some software to download. I'm intrigued by this, but I don't want to brick my car!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
TheGailWay
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT No iDrive

Garage List
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2007 335xi  [0.00]
USB Pins damaged, perhaps?

Have you actually inspected the pins in the USB connector? When this happened to me (no power, or connection) it was a bent pin. The pins run from front to back in a row. The one closest to the front is the power pin. I tried to straighten it and it, of course, broke. I took the USB/Aux interface out, see
Then I disassemble the device. Once apart, you have the Aux portion seperate from the USB portion. The USB portion has an aluminum housing that needs to be desoldered to gain access the the USB connector. Once you have access to the board and the USB connector you can replace it with a new one. Here's the link to the USB connector http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...-87583-2010BLF The connector is $0.87, I would buy 2. Shipping is $7.99. Just solder the new one on the board and reassemble. Easy peasy. If you don't have soldering skills, contact your local university or career college and ask them if there is an electronics program that has kids eager to try out their skills.

Last edited by TheGailWay; 10-06-2016 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

I'm sorry to reply to a really old post, but I have this exact same problem, and I am going crazy trying to fix it. Same thing, Cig lighter fuse blown (and now replaced), USB stopped working. (I have a 2013 E93.)
How did you end up fixing it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #16
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Actually that USB port is NOT a charging port to charge up devices! It is also NOT an accessory port where you have it plugged in and play music from.

I'm surprised you even managed to play music from your iPhone to the car thru that USB slot without one of the iPhone "snap in" adapters.

According to the glove box manual booklet that USB port is a download port for adding music to the car music hard drive.

Between bluetooth, sirius, am/fm, cd/dvd I've never had to use aux in or usb to play music in my car.

The rules and limitations of that USB slot is very confusing and contradictory since it states you can add music folders to the car from an external hard drive but you should not connect USB-hard drives!?!?

There is also another hidden USB port inside the glovebox that updates the CIC and possible charges stuff. I'm not sure.
Attached Images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 01-27-2020 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #17
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Okay, maybe I am not being specific. If a USB plug does not supply 500ma, it does not work as a usb host (which is what that plug is). That is the USB spec. In order to use the USB port for BMW Apps (which that port it is specifically designed to do) it must do that. The combox stopped seeing it at all...
P.S. when this problem happened, the snap in stopped working as well. I replaced the combox, factory coded the new combox, and everything started working perfectly again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
Okay, maybe I am not being specific. If a USB plug does not supply 500ma, it does not work as a usb host (which is what that plug is). That is the USB spec. In order to use the USB port for BMW Apps (which that port it is specifically designed to do) it must do that. The combox stopped seeing it at all...
P.S. when this problem happened, the snap in stopped working as well. I replaced the combox, factory coded the new combox, and everything started working perfectly again.
Okay understood. I thought it was a question of how to use the USB port.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0