F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 2016 340 race pads!!
Studio RSR

09-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
BimmerSales340
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2016 MSport 340

2016 340 race pads!!

I have a 2016 340i without M sport Brakes, I'm about to start tracking my car and cannot find a single rear "Track" ready pad for the car. Has anyone else had any luck?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

OEM f8x sport pads or any f8x non CB track pads will work in ur m sport brakes
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
BimmerSales340
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Fronts are no issue, it's the rears for non M Sport Brakes
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Sure about that because for exemple, front rotors on F80 are 380mm, 370mm on 340i and 340mm on 140i. Pads are not even the same on 140i and 340i because of the rotors size.
      09-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
Sure about that because for exemple, front rotors on F80 are 380mm, 370mm on 340i and 340mm on 140i. Pads are not even the same on 140i and 340i because of the rotors size.
Yes m140i and f8x pads are same shape - I'm running m4 sport pads on my m135i

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

That's a pretty good news for me since I have a set of performance pads from my last M4 and I'm looking for an 340i.

Thanks a lot for the info
      09-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

go to bestbrakes.com - they can probably get you fitted with pagid yellows - or talk to the guys at G-Loc

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
BimmerSales340
Banned
Rep

So after further research I picked up Pagid Yellow pads for the front, and the rears are hawk pads that fit on the rear of 328/320i. I will be sure to make a new post when they arrive and I test fitment.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSales340 View Post
So after further research I picked up Pagid Yellow pads for the front, and the rears are hawk pads that fit on the rear of 328/320i. I will be sure to make a new post when they arrive and I test fitment.
I'd be cautious when mixing and matching front/rear brake pads.

Fitment won't be the only issue. Performance/handling/braking will be.

Brake systems are designed in such a way that there is an expected proportion of force between the front and rear brakes and this is based on certain assumptions about the interface between the brake pads and rotors. When using non matching sets of fronts and rear brake pads, there's a good chance that you are altering that balance in a negative way. You may very well be totally f'ing up your braking performance/handling - perhaps dangerously as well.

Driveway mechanics are endless entertainment.

Last edited by Polo08816; 09-21-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
oceanview207.00
      09-25-2016, 12:28 AM   #10
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'd be cautious when mixing and matching front/rear brake pads.

Fitment won't be the only issue. Performance/handling/braking will be.

Brake systems are designed in such a way that there is an expected proportion of force between the front and rear brakes and this is based on certain assumptions about the interface between the brake pads and rotors. When using non matching sets of fronts and rear brake pads, there's a good chance that you are altering that balance in a negative way. You may very well be totally f'ing up your braking performance/handling - perhaps dangerously as well.

Driveway mechanics are endless entertainment.

This shows your lack of understanding on how these braking systems work in the real world on track. You are correct that BMW biases the brakes a certain way, and that each setup has a properly sized master cylinder, piston size, etc. However:

1. Using a less aggressive pad in the rear than in the front is not a safety issue as locking the fronts before the rears will not cause a car to spin

2. This being the case, braking distance will not be effected whatsoever (even vs. OEM pads) as the pads are not the weak point in the braking system during a single stop, the traction of the tires on the pavement are. Even OEM brake pads will lock up both wheels easily in a single stop, so brake bias doesn't matter at all provided the rears do not lock before the front (unsafe).

3. BMW sets up the brake bias of these cars for safety on the street, not for performance on the track. This goes hand in hand with the soft suspension - on these cars, probably 85% of the braking is done with the front axle. I can throw whatever less aggressive pad I want on the rears and it just won't make a difference besides maybe cause a bit of understeer on corner entry trail braking if you take it to a real extreme. I've done it many times.

4. If anything, once you get a stiffer suspension in there to help minimize dive under braking, I would run a more aggressive pad on the rear than on the front to help move brake bias back a bit and help the car rotate better under trail braking. Unfortunately, that's not an option on this car due to lack of pad manufacturers making a pad in the rear caliper shape.

So in short: claiming mixing and matching pads on the track is dangerous is ridiculous; it's done all the time and in some cases can enhance performance.

Driveway mechanics are endless entertainment indeed.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
This shows your lack of understanding on how these braking systems work in the real world on track. You are correct that BMW biases the brakes a certain way, and that each setup has a properly sized master cylinder, piston size, etc. However:

1. Using a less aggressive pad in the rear than in the front is not a safety issue as locking the fronts before the rears will not cause a car to spin

2. This being the case, braking distance will not be effected whatsoever (even vs. OEM pads) as the pads are not the weak point in the braking system during a single stop, the traction of the tires on the pavement are. Even OEM brake pads will lock up both wheels easily in a single stop, so brake bias doesn't matter at all provided the rears do not lock before the front (unsafe).

3. BMW sets up the brake bias of these cars for safety on the street, not for performance on the track. This goes hand in hand with the soft suspension - on these cars, probably 85% of the braking is done with the front axle. I can throw whatever less aggressive pad I want on the rears and it just won't make a difference besides maybe cause a bit of understeer on corner entry trail braking if you take it to a real extreme. I've done it many times.

4. If anything, once you get a stiffer suspension in there to help minimize dive under braking, I would run a more aggressive pad on the rear than on the front to help move brake bias back a bit and help the car rotate better under trail braking. Unfortunately, that's not an option on this car due to lack of pad manufacturers making a pad in the rear caliper shape.

So in short: claiming mixing and matching pads on the track is dangerous is ridiculous; it's done all the time and in some cases can enhance performance.

Driveway mechanics are endless entertainment indeed.
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

I never claimed that that using mixed sets will always negatively affect performance. However, there's a good chance that when done by your average driveway mechanic, it will have a less than optimal result.

The same applies to suspension as well. I challenge the driveway mechanics to find a better "mixed and matched" spring and strut combination than the M Performance Suspension or well-designed/researched coilovers such as Ohlins R&T or AST. In fact, the most hilarious part of this is that there's plenty of threads of these driveway mechanics having blown tophats with their H&R/Bilstein combos.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.
Statistically speaking, it is exactly my strong suit.

Quote:
I never claimed that that using mixed sets will always negatively affect performance. However, there's a good chance that when done by your average driveway mechanic, it will have a less than optimal result.
The only situation where it would have less than optimal result is if someone put a race pad on the rears and put a less-aggressive-than-stock pad on the front. And even then it probably wouldn't shift bias enough to lock up the rears before the front. In most cases, on this particular platform, it just won't matter.

Quote:
The same applies to suspension as well. I challenge the driveway mechanics to find a better "mixed and matched" spring and strut combination than the M Performance Suspension or well-designed/researched coilovers such as Ohlins R&T or AST. In fact, the most hilarious part of this is that there's plenty of threads of these driveway mechanics having blown tophats with their H&R/Bilstein combos.
No argument from me here, it drives me nuts when people talk about how their "sweet springs bro" make there car a "track handling beast." Though I wouldn't put modern AST in the same league as Ohlins/JRZ/MCS.
Appreciate 1
cmplaya211.50
      09-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

The only situation where it would have less than optimal result is if someone put a race pad on the rears and put a less-aggressive-than-stock pad on the front. And even then it probably wouldn't shift bias enough to lock up the rears before the front. In most cases, on this particular platform, it just won't matter.

No argument from me here, it drives me nuts when people talk about how their "sweet springs bro" make there car a "track handling beast." Though I wouldn't put modern AST in the same league as Ohlins/JRZ/MCS.
You put your SAT scores on a forum... I chuckled.

The point is I doubt that most posters on this forum have done due diligence (through testing, experience, formal technical training/education) in determining that a particular set of mixed pads is better than known matched pairs.

In the absence of such due diligence, the large majority are better of sticking to known and "proven" combinations.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You put your SAT scores on a forum... I chuckled.

The point is I doubt that most posters on this forum have done due diligence (through testing, experience, formal technical training/education) in determining that a particular set of mixed pads is better than known matched pairs.
It's really simple. If OP tracks his car with stock pads and is quick, they will melt. There are no matched pairs of race-spec pads available. Thus, the only option for the OP is to upgrade the rear pad to the best available non-matched pad. You came into the thread warning him against doing so with scary terms like "dangerous", when none of what you said is actually applicable to the situation - and then threw in a dig at the OP and other "driveway mechanics," when it's pretty clear you've never seriously tracked a car in your life.

I agree that most posters on this forum haven't done due diligence in determining the best performance of their particular braking system. If you haven't done so, why are you offering advice? The only reason I'm being a dick here is because you called out "driveway mechanics" without the requisite knowledge to actually do so.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It's really simple. If OP tracks his car with stock pads and is quick, they will melt. There are no matched pairs of race-spec pads available. Thus, the only option for the OP is to upgrade the rear pad to the best available non-matched pad. You came into the thread warning him against doing so with scary terms like "dangerous", when none of what you said is actually applicable to the situation - and then threw in a dig at the OP and other "driveway mechanics," when it's pretty clear you've never seriously tracked a car in your life.

I agree that most posters on this forum haven't done due diligence in determining the best performance of their particular braking system. If you haven't done so, why are you offering advice? The only reason I'm being a dick here is because you called out "driveway mechanics" without the requisite knowledge to actually do so.
I still can't get over the fact that you posted a picture of your SAT scores from 10 years ago! Clearly you haven't gotten over that either...

If the OP tracks his car and is quick ... did you not read the first post? He's about to "start" tracking his car and taking into account his other posts leads me to believe he's pretty new at this. In my experience, stock cars with stock brakes are generally fine for drivers in the novice to novice-intermediate run groups at HPDEs.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In my experience, stock cars with stock brakes are generally fine for drivers in the novice to novice-intermediate run groups at HPDEs.
What's your experience? Let me guess - reading on the internet!

Besides the fact that every driver is different, OP is running RE71R. That alone will contribute to increased stress on the stock pads due to their higher grip level. The front straight at NCM is a 140mph+ straight into a bus stop and then a slow right hander. His stock brake pads will be melted after a few laps from this sequence alone; you don't need skill to go fast in a straight line. And being a noob, he will be riding the brakes too softly and be braking too early, contributing to higher pad wear.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 09-25-2016 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What's your experience? Let me guess - reading on the internet!

Besides the fact that every driver is different, OP is running RE71R. That alone will contribute to increased stress on the stock pads due to their higher grip level. The front straight at NCM is a 140mph+ straight into a bus stop and then a slow right hander. His stock brake pads will be melted after a few laps from this sequence alone; you don't need skill to go fast in a straight line. And being a noob, he will be riding the brakes too softly and be braking too early, contributing to higher pad wear.
You got me! I'm guilty of reading tons of stuff on the interwebs!

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how often does your SAT score, presumably from your high school years, get used outside of internet forums? When you are offended is that your go to thing? Better yet, how successful is using your SAT score as part of a pick up line?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #18
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You got me! I'm guilty of reading tons of stuff on the interwebs!

Out of curiosity, how often does your SAT score, presumably from your high school years, get used outside of internet forums? When you are offended is that your go to thing? Better yet, how successful is using your SAT score as part of a pick up line?
My perfect SATs, stunning good looks, and triple varsity letters were nice in high school, but as women age I find it easier to just use my car.

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #19
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
My perfect SATs, stunning good looks, and triple varsity letters were nice in high school, but as women age I find it easier to just use my car.

Do they get super impressed by your M2?

Tell us more about how awesome you are
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post

Do they get super impressed by your M2?

Tell us more about how awesome you are
Let's see...

I taught the stig how to drive

Fabio asks me for hair advice

Gq had to censor me when I was on the cover because women were fainting

I loaned the Lehman Brothers money when they were in trouble

Any questions?
Appreciate 2
donkey464.00
      09-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

BOOM. pwned

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #22
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerSales340 View Post
EBC Yellow you mean?
I had those on the rear stock 300mm on 320i- were sqealing like hell, when hot. Would not use in the city anymore.

At the front i've installed the 335i 340mm grey Brembos and use F80 M3/M4 pads, which are fantastic for the price.

Stock rear on 340i is 330mm with ~50% bigger pad area compared to 300mm on 320i/328i. So the pads are NOT interchangeable.
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars
Appreciate 0