F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dealer replaced my front brake
Extreme Powerhouse

10-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
mbluefan1
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sportline

Dealer replaced my front brake

For the past few weeks, my front pads would constantly make a squealing noise whenever car comes to a stop after initial cold start of the engine in the morning as well as late in the afternoon after I got off work. Well, today I finally got my 2013 328i sedan back in which dealer replaced the front brake pads, rotors and sensor. I had approximately 9,000 miles more to go before they had to be replaced, but dealer cited front brake disc faulty due to heavy scoring despite it having 9 mm pad remaining. They also got rid of the annoying rattling noise generated from the instrument cluster / dashboard / A/C vent area by removing it and applying felt tape; car feels solid again. Anyway, is it normal for dealer to replace brakes this early? I'm very happy but admit a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the brakes. My previous car, 2008 328i coupe, had solid brakes in the 4 years of owning it (car had 52,845 miles before trading it in).

On a side note, when I inquired about carbon buildup, my SA told me it's rare and I don't need to worry about it. Is this true? What would be the tell-tell sign I need to have it checked out? Would the 4yr. /50K miles warranty cover it?
Appreciate 2
XKxRome0ox1587.50
ErkanTR16598.00
      10-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #2
dr adequate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
I've got at 14 328 xdrive, the brakes started making a grinding noise/feel a few weeks ago, took it in and dealer replaced them. My car has ~30k miles and the sensor said brakes were not due for another 11k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbluefan1 View Post
For the past few weeks, my front pads would constantly make a squealing noise whenever car comes to a stop after initial cold start of the engine in the morning as well as late in the afternoon after I got off work. Well, today I finally got my 2013 328i sedan back in which dealer replaced the front brake pads, rotors and sensor. I had approximately 9,000 miles more to go before they had to be replaced, but dealer cited front brake disc faulty due to heavy scoring despite it having 9 mm pad remaining. They also got rid of the annoying rattling noise generated from the instrument cluster / dashboard / A/C vent area by removing it and applying felt tape; car feels solid again. Anyway, is it normal for dealer to replace brakes this early? I'm very happy but admit a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the brakes. My previous car, 2008 328i coupe, had solid brakes in the 4 years of owning it (car had 52,845 miles before trading it in).

On a side note, when I inquired about carbon buildup, my SA told me it's rare and I don't need to worry about it. Is this true? What would be the tell-tell sign I need to have it checked out? Would the 4yr. /50K miles warranty cover it?
How did you convince them to remove Interior parts and installing felt tape?

I might go and ask if they can do this to my car. The rattling noises are really getting annoying. Not sure if they will do it for free though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Your car is brand new, why wouldn't they honor the warranty when your $50k+ car has interior rattles?
Appreciate 0