F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Looking for feedback on the Hotchkis sway bars and Dinan springs....
proTUNING Freaks

10-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Looking for feedback on the Hotchkis sway bars and Dinan springs....

As I continue to learn more about the possibilities of modding the F30 I've added the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars and Dinan springs to my virtual wish list. I had quite a bit of store credit with CarID so the Hotchkis sway bars are the best I can get without dropping much additional money. I have the non-adaptive MSport suspension so I would like the Dinan springs to drop the ride height subtly (.05-1"). I like the ride quality now and am hoping that the Dinan springs wouldn't wreck the ride quality. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts/opinion on the Hotchki sway bars and Dinan springs?
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
As I continue to learn more about the possibilities of modding the F30 I've added the Hotchkis front and rear sway bars and Dinan springs to my virtual wish list. I had quite a bit of store credit with CarID so the Hotchkis sway bars are the best I can get without dropping much additional money. I have the non-adaptive MSport suspension so I would like the Dinan springs to drop the ride height subtly (.05-1"). I like the ride quality now and am hoping that the Dinan springs wouldn't wreck the ride quality. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts/opinion on the Hotchki sway bars and Dinan springs?
I don't run Hotchkis on my BMW but I do on SS...very well made and made a big car handle pretty well. Really need to compare the specs of them to the stock F30 pieces I think. Hollow/solid, etc.
      10-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I would spend the extra cash and get good coilovers over these two mods. I bet you would be much more satisfied
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

Just a heads up... replacing sway bars on this car requires dropping the subframe.
Might want to factor that into your total cost as the installation will cost more than the bars themselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
What problem are you trying to fix with the bars?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

During my track day when the car was stock I noticed two main issues - the crappy Bridgestone RFT tires (will replace this spring) and a good bit of body lean...or at least more than what I"m used to. I didn't realize the install on the front and rear sway is to time consuming and some serious $$$$ to pay an installer.

I think getting a set of set of coilovers is a good option as it would allow me to retain the stock ride quality most of the time and firm it up for track weekends or other times. If I'm understanding the theory correctly, I can lower the ride height 3/4" or so and still have it set for stock ride comfort? So ride height is independent of shock firmness?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

I just installed H&R springs this weekend and while under the car, I can confirm that the installation of sway bars is not going to be a fun task. Like SoDiezl350 stated, the rear sub frame would have to be dropped due to space constraints. Even though I have a lift at home, I don't think I would attempt the replacement.

As far as coils go and dependent on which coils you choose, your ride quality will not be the same as stock. Yes, you can control the ride height, but it's only 1/2 the equation on ride quality. The other half would be determined by spring rate. I have installed coils on all my performance vehicles with the exception of my current F30 due to the EDC. On each coil setup, I went with a progressive rated spring as opposed to a linear rated spring. If I were you, buy the most expensive coils YOU CAN AFFORD and do it right the first time, or don't do it at all. Bilstein PSS10s are my choice due to ride quality, full adjustability, and manufactured quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I just installed H&R springs this weekend and while under the car, I can confirm that the installation of sway bars is not going to be a fun task. Like SoDiezl350 stated, the rear sub frame would have to be dropped due to space constraints. Even though I have a lift at home, I don't think I would attempt the replacement.

As far as coils go and dependent on which coils you choose, your ride quality will not be the same as stock. Yes, you can control the ride height, but it's only 1/2 the equation on ride quality. The other half would be determined by spring rate. I have installed coils on all my performance vehicles with the exception of my current F30 due to the EDC. On each coil setup, I went with a progressive rated spring as opposed to a linear rated spring. If I were you, buy the most expensive coils YOU CAN AFFORD and do it right the first time, or don't do it at all. Bilstein PSS10s are my choice due to ride quality, full adjustability, and manufactured quality.
Thanks for the good info! I work for a dealer group that has BMW as one of it's franchises so I do get a heavily discounted labor rate but I'll have to see what they quote me as the number of hours needed. I think the Dinan website quotes it as a 7 hour job.

Yeah, as far as coilovers I would wait until this Spring to get the PSS10s - my brief research seems to indicate them as the best overall as well. How labor intensive are they to install?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Thanks for the good info! I work for a dealer group that has BMW as one of it's franchises so I do get a heavily discounted labor rate but I'll have to see what they quote me as the number of hours needed. I think the Dinan website quotes it as a 7 hour job.

Yeah, as far as coilovers I would wait until this Spring to get the PSS10s - my brief research seems to indicate them as the best overall as well. How labor intensive are they to install?
If Dinan says 7 hrs for the coils AND sways, then I would agree. Now that I have accomplished the spring install, I cant imagine coilovers taking me any longer than 5-6hrs MAX. This is with power tools and a second set of hands to help.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
If Dinan says 7 hrs for the coils AND sways, then I would agree. Now that I have accomplished the spring install, I cant imagine coilovers taking me any longer than 5-6hrs MAX. This is with power tools and a second set of hands to help.
Their site claims 7 hours for JUST the sway bars.... Either way, I'll be relying on one of the techs here to do it, just trying to get an idea of the time involved to calculate how much I'll have to pay in labor.

I think I'll go with the Hotchkis sway bars this month and the PSS10s come Spring....just in time for track season so start.
Appreciate 0