BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions The 2 Headlight designs

10-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 2 Headlight designs

I believe the left one is LED and the right one is Adaptive LED for those wondering about the 2 different designs seen on the G30 prototypes
Attached Images

Cabbage624.50
      10-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
I believe the left one is LED and the right one is Adaptive LED for those wondering about the 2 different designs seen on the G30 prototypes
It's even more confusing than that...

The Left one is 5A2 + 524 = LED Headlight with Extended Content plus Adaptive Curve Lightning and On/Off High Beam Assistant.

5A2 = Standard LED Headlight. It looks almost the same as when 524 is included, but it lacks the LED module for the static cornering lights in the lower inside corners.

The Right One is 552 = Adaptive Full LED Headlight (Icon Light), with full adaptive and dynamic functions and High Beam Assistant with Selective Beam.
Appreciate 3
      10-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

As you have to pay extra for it, ofcourse the Full Adaptive LED is looking the most elegant!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
dyzfnctional
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Went to BMW today and got the ordering guide. I see that 5A2 LED headlights come standard and saw 552 Adaptive Full LED lights under ZPP Premium pkg. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to order 552 AFLL separately without ordering ZPP?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfnctional
Went to BMW today and got the ordering guide. I see that 5A2 LED headlights come standard and saw 552 Adaptive Full LED lights under ZPP Premium pkg. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to order 552 AFLL separately without ordering ZPP?
On the 540, leather is standard so the lighting package is bundled in with ZPP based on historical market demands and probably won't be as expensive at ZPP on the 530 given the remaining contents.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
dyzfnctional
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
On the 540, leather is standard so the lighting package is bundled in with ZPP based on historical market demands and probably won't be as expensive at ZPP on the 530 given the remaining contents.
What's your guess on the pricing of the ZPP pkg for the 540?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #7
dyzfnctional
Private First Class
Rep

Also it seems confusing that some article states adaptive LED is standard and others states it isn't for US....?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Also it seems confusing that some article states adaptive LED is standard and others states it isn't for US....?
There are two "adaptive" versions as shown in the first post. The Left image is the standard LED that can be combined with Extended Contents and Adaptive curve lighting function and basic high beam assistant. That combo minus the HBA is standard in the US. The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 05:32 AM   #9
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
There are two "adaptive" versions as shown in the first post. The Left image is the standard LED that can be combined with Extended Contents and Adaptive curve lighting function and basic high beam assistant. That combo minus the HBA is standard in the US. The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.
Thanks for clearing that one up, really confusing.
I had a loan Volvo XC90 while the wife's car was in for repair, that had dynamic led's and they were amazing, another dimension from the high beam assistant.
I'm used to the xenons on my F11 and have noticed on newer BM's that the standard LED's look like normal reflectors with bright aftermarket bulbs rather than other companies small distinctive LEDs - presumably the performance is similar between both strategies ?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
I had a loan Volvo XC90 while the wife's car was in for repair, that had dynamic led's and they were amazing, another dimension from the high beam assistant.
I'm used to the xenons on my F11 and have noticed on newer BM's that the standard LED's look like normal reflectors with bright aftermarket bulbs rather than other companies small distinctive LEDs - presumably the performance is similar between both strategies ?
The Projector type is the far better system for most light output needs. The reflectors are better suited to very wide and long range performance. The 552 Full adaptive LED performs better than the current BMW Laserlicht.

In the mid-2000's, there have been several major and long lasting Patent Infringement suits filed because the ideal design for Projector LED systems reads almost identical to that of LED Televisions (numerous small high intensity light emitting diodes, arranged behind a lens to provide highly variable luminous output). Those were settled over the past two years and now the full potential of LED is possible.

Modular Construction methods using common components reduces the cost significantly. All the OEM's and lighting suppliers formed an alliance, so the tech doesn't vary much. I really like the MB presentation image just because it was very well played.

One thing that's going to come up very often will be the Decoding of Selective Beam for cars without 552. It's not due to milking income or anything. Both share the same KAFAS system and files, necessitating this to be disabled due to lack of hardware...worldwide
Attached Images

Last edited by lemetier; 10-17-2016 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandiano View Post
The Projector type is the far better system for most light output needs. The reflectors are better suited to very wide and long range performance. The 552 Full adaptive LED performs better than the current BMW Laserlicht.

In the mid-2000's, there have been several major and long lasting Patent Infringement suits filed because the ideal design for Projector LED systems reads almost identical to that of LED Televisions (numerous small high intensity light emitting diodes, arranged behind a lens to provide highly variable luminous output). Those were settled over the past two years and now the full potential of LED is possible.

Modular Construction methods using common components reduces the cost significantly. All the OEM's and lighting suppliers formed an alliance, so the tech doesn't vary much. I really like the MB presentation image just because it was very well played.

One thing that's going to come up very often will be the Decoding of Selective Beam for cars without 552. It's not due to milking income or anything. Both share the same KAFAS system and files, necessitating this to be disabled due to lack of hardware...worldwide
Thanks, you are clearly the oracle.
Armed with your knowledge I'll see what my sales guys have to say as their pitch !
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

The Left one is 5A2 + 524 = LED Headlight with Extended Content plus Adaptive Curve Lightning and On/Off High Beam Assistant.

5A2 = Standard LED Headlight. It looks almost the same as when 524 is included, but it lacks the LED module for the static cornering lights in the lower inside corners.

The Right One is 552 = Adaptive Full LED Headlight (Icon Light), with full adaptive and dynamic functions and High Beam Assistant with Selective Beam.
Extended content, adaptive, HBA, etc. and yet the turn signal bulbs are incandescent. Bravo, BMW!

Quote:
The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.
The US DOT vs. LED thingy is confusing me as hell. Does this mean that people won't have to code their F80 LEDs to get the ECE anti-dazzle high-beam assistant anymore? I am guessing that US-spec Audi and Mercs do not also have these features, right?
      10-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
I'm just glad that Cornering Lights are "standard" now even if you don't have Adaptive LED
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:

Extended content, adaptive, HBA, etc. and yet the turn signal bulbs are incandescent. Bravo, BMW!

Quote:
The right image is Full LED Adaptive (Icon Light - seriously BMW, just call them Icon Full LED Headlights and be done). For ECE regulated markets, they have more functionality and High Beam Assist with Selective Beam. This should because legal in the US very soon at which point these functions will be enabled.
The US DOT vs. LED thingy is confusing me as hell. Does this mean that people won't have to code their F80 LEDs to get the ECE anti-dazzle high-beam assistant anymore? I am guessing that US-spec Audi and Mercs do not also have these features, right?
It's not so much on BMW for the confusing nomenclature as it is on what words can legally be used to describe the system. It's reached a point where some advisory group sessions have been conducted and very good suggestions made. Just waiting to see how the regulatory things work out.

The DOT vs EU differences have had some significant efforts to give harmonized standards in the past 12months. The biggest and most important occurred just yesterday but is not the final hurdle to cross. Nov is crucial and partisan issues are at play. The discussion would be very good to open if everyone can behave themselves and simply be enthusiasts. either going to be a monumental improvement or a very negative impact to automotive consumers.
Appreciate 0