BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinan Exhaust and resonator delete

10-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
Click821
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 Long beach Blue MT

Dinan Exhaust and resonator delete

Alright, so I had this exhaust installed. Keep in mind, this is just my first impressions. I have had the car back with the exhaust installed for under 24 hours, most of which I was asleep or at work. I have not tested the comfort mode yet or even closed the windows so far while driving

Cold start up is quite loud and will possibly wake the neighbors, but it quiets down rather quickly so no big deal. The car sounds absolutely vicious with this exhaust in sport mode and any level of throttle. Its got a lovely roar to it and the pops and burbles are perfectly exaggerated. Loving the overrun although I know this is personal preference. I've seen that some people are looking to get rid of this, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. The sound is much deeper than stock and definitely turns heads. I've received quite a few compliments already in such a short time. I haven't been able to judge drone yet if there is any.

As far as looks go, this thing is mean looking. I saw the Dinan video and I couldn't really judge since the lighting made the pipes almost blend with the diffuser. The video didn't really do the sound or looks any justice. When the exhaust is on though and you see it in person, you will be pleased. The tips are the perfect size. I like the 3.5 inch (90mm) ceramic black tips better than the chrome.

I will post additional comments, pictures, a crappy video for sound(cell phone quality) and update this with my thoughts as I drive it more and have some time. I will look for drone(if any), comfort mode volume, volume for both windows closed, and anything else you guys are curious about.

So far, definitely recommend considering if you're looking into exhaust systems.

Little bit of an update here. The comfort mode is very subdued, but not too much with the windows open. There pops are almost unnoticable even though the sound and tone are still there without the savage volume. Its perfect in volume for when you want to leave less of an impression on the public. Also, with the windows closed, there is almost absolute silence and no drone at all.

Last edited by Click821; 10-21-2016 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 8
No Boost4019.00
MTHRAR437.50
LBBDrew336.00
AndrewC198910903.50
Supadice1017.50
      10-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click821 View Post
Alright, so I had this exhaust installed. Keep in mind, this is just my first impressions. I have had the car back with the exhaust installed for under 24 hours, most of which I was asleep or at work. I have not tested the comfort mode yet or even closed the windows so far while driving

Cold start up is quite loud and will possibly wake the neighbors, but it quiets down rather quickly so no big deal. The car sounds absolutely vicious with this exhaust in sport mode and any level of throttle. Its got a lovely roar to it and the pops and burbles are perfectly exaggerated. Loving the overrun although I know this is personal preference. I've seen that some people are looking to get rid of this, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. The sound is much deeper than stock and definitely turns heads. I've received quite a few compliments already in such a short time. I haven't been able to judge drone yet if there is any.

As far as looks go, this thing is mean looking. I saw the Dinan video and I couldn't really judge since the lighting made the pipes almost blend with the diffuser. The video didn't really do the sound or looks any justice. When the exhaust is on though and you see it in person, you will be pleased. The tips are the perfect size. I like the 3.5 inch (90mm) ceramic black tips better than the chrome.

I will post additional comments, pictures, a crappy video for sound(cell phone quality) and update this with my thoughts as I drive it more and have some time. I will look for drone(if any), comfort mode volume, volume for both windows closed, and anything else you guys are curious about.

So far, definitely recommend considering if you're looking into exhaust systems.
Glad you are enjoying it. Super happy to start seeing people post some first hand reviews! In my opinion its the best exhaust we have done in recent memory and while its not your standard Dinan exhaust, as its quite a bit more aggressive, it fits the car perfectly.
Appreciate 1
LBBDrew336.00
      10-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Riddim
Rep
Drives: m2

Dinan Exhaust and resonator delete

Quote:

Thanks for the great feedback bro. I just placed an order last week for this. Hope to have my car by next month.

Big up!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
At a fraction of the price of the MPE....
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Just installed mine too

Last edited by Bimmer28312; 10-19-2016 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
DVuk
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Mine was installed a few days ago and it's simply breathtaking. The sound it produces is spectacular. The comfort setting is subtle enough. The sport setting is thrilling, anytime you lift your foot of the petal it makes such a wonderful growing sound.

I went one step above that and added a down-pipe( Fabspeed) yesterday and it takes all the aspects mentioned above and adds so much more volume. I will post videos when it stops raining.

Congratulation Click821 on your exhaust. I'm sure you enjoy it just as much as I do.

Cheers!
Dvuk
      10-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVuk View Post
Mine was installed a few days ago and it's simply breathtaking. The sound it produces is spectacular. The comfort setting is subtle enough. The sport setting is thrilling, anytime you lift your foot of the petal it makes such a wonderful growing sound.

I went one step above that and added a down-pipe( Fabspeed) yesterday and it takes all the aspects mentioned above and adds so much more volume. I will post videos when it stops raining.

Congratulation Click821 on your exhaust. I'm sure you enjoy it just as much as I do.

Cheers!
Dvuk
Are you Catless or do you have the Fabspeed sport cat? I'm actually considering the Sport Cat + Dinan Exhaust + Res Delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
DVuk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Are you Catless or do you have the Fabspeed sport cat? I'm actually considering the Sport Cat + Dinan Exhaust + Res Delete.
Catted + Dinan Exhaust. If I opted and had gone with the Res Delete kit I think it would have been too loud for me(personal preference). If I do ever find it not loud enough I can always add that feature in later.
VegasM285.50
      10-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #9
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Videos pleaseeeeee I'm about to go to my sales guy at BMW to order the MPE for his cost which is a pretty good discount he said still waiting on his price should get it within a few hours but if this is that much better I might just go this route. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbmw490 View Post
Videos pleaseeeeee I'm about to go to my sales guy at BMW to order the MPE for his cost which is a pretty good discount he said still waiting on his price should get it within a few hours but if this is that much better I might just go this route. Thanks!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAbVR-SkPo&t=1s

While take-offs and everything are great the go-pro driving clip at the end of the above linked video is where you really get to hear the exhaust in its glory (albeit like all exhaust videos, videos dont replicate them the sound totally accurately).
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
zumbido
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting for LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

While take-offs and everything are great the go-pro driving clip at the end of the above linked video is where you really get to hear the exhaust in its glory (albeit like all exhaust videos, videos dont replicate them the sound totally accurately).
That sound is so mean. I also really appreciate the video with consistent comparisons across several variations. Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Something else to consider...There is a 6 HP gain with the Dinan exhaust. And while that is all but inconsequential, it's still more than what the MPE claims which is 0 HP gain.

Listening to the two online, the MPE sounds more refined but the Dinan sounds nastier and raw. It suites the M2 better because the car itself is more raw than its bigger siblings.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      10-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Here's a quick reference for sound. Kept the RPM under 3k (around busy work offices)

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Click821
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 Long beach Blue MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddim View Post
Thanks for the great feedback bro. I just placed an order last week for this. Hope to have my car by next month.

Big up!
You are going to absolutely love it man. Also, congrats on the car. I know you must be excited and days can't go fast enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

The Go-Pro clip at the end is what sold me on this, no question about it. It sounded insane and id say it sounds even better in person! You guys did a great job.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are going to absolutely love it man. Also, congrats on the car. I know you must be excited and days can't go fast enough!

The Go-Pro clip at the end is what sold me on this, no question about it. It sounded insane and id say it sounds even better in person! You guys did a great job.
These last 2 weeks I have been getting in all my new sound equipment--- got the last major piece in today and did a little test just to see how much difference the clarity is. Its a monumental difference. Dinan exhaust sound clips going forward are going to be very representative of what you are getting from all indications. End of the year scurrying to use up all the budget can be fun at times. =)

Once SEMA is over and I have had a chance to get back in the groove of things I will get some revised clips of the shop M2, M4 and 340i in the works as all 3 of those exhausts are good for their own distinct reasons and should be enjoyed.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Dinan Exhaust and Resonator Delete

I always loved that Dinan was close to where I live. When I decided to upgrade from my 2011 335is to my 2017 LBB M2. I passed on the MPE because I wasn't sold on the sound and I finally got the Dinan Exhaust and Resonator. I thought that the clip on the Dinan site was representative to the sound I wanted...boy was I so wrong it is so much better in person, I am in love with this exhaust!!! I don't have to roll the windows down to hear the exhaust anymore when I am in sport mode. Thanks Dinan for getting the exhaust note perfect in my opinion. I love all the burbles it makes when decelerating in sport mode. I love how it sings when I step on the gas. In comfort mode its tame as the OEM exhaust that way I don't wake my neighbors and call attention to myself. Inside the cabin with the windows up it is just as enjoyable No loud cabin drone when in comfort or sport mode. The black engraved staggered tips makes the rear end look great.

Last edited by Johnsonuspp; 10-21-2016 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVuk View Post
Catted + Dinan Exhaust. If I opted and had gone with the Res Delete kit I think it would have been too loud for me(personal preference). If I do ever find it not loud enough I can always add that feature in later.
Did you ever get the res delete added? I currently have the Fabspeed 200cell cat and dinan res delete and was considering adding the dinan axel back unit. I'm hesitant because i'm worried it'l become way to loud lol. Care to post a video? It would help me out a lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #18
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Did you ever get the res delete added? I currently have the Fabspeed 200cell cat and dinan res delete and was considering adding the dinan axel back unit. I'm hesitant because i'm worried it'l become way to loud lol. Care to post a video? It would help me out a lot!
Take a trip across the bridge and hear it in person.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #19
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Has anyone done the Dinan resonator delete on the stock exhaust? If so, was worth it? Noticeable difference? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #20
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CSL View Post
Has anyone done the Dinan resonator delete on the stock exhaust? If so, was worth it? Noticeable difference? Thanks
Im interested too
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Im interested too
The difference is noticeable

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #22
Bmw.Fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Can someone please measure the quad tips (tips side to side, top to bottom) and also the distance in between the tips? I'm trying to make modifications for my m235i but my exhaust won't be here for another few weeks. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0