E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N54 complete loss of power

10-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

N54 complete loss of power

So last month i was driving on the motorway pretty hard (M6 toll), and i could feel misfire and a CEL came on. I pulled off on the power and it was fine. Further down the M6 I got a full loss of power warning, I had 0 power, engine shut itselt off. I coasted from the outside lane to the hard shoulder and restarted the car and all was fine. No codes to pull as i had set JB4 to reset mode when i was at Santa Pod and forgot to turn it back on again.

Ive only driven 15-20miles around town since then and it hasnt occured but i have to drive to Southampton tomorrow and remembered this, so was a little concerned.

There isnt much i can do about it now, and im think its coil/selenoids related as i changed plugs a year ago (3k miles ago).

Anyone ever experienced this?

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Never owned JB4, but you can try this http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517332 . If that doesn't work then disable JB4, then read codes. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you get MHD app (android) you can read codes for free (need adapter for mini usb though). If you can't get MHD, ask someone locally to read it for you, I'm sure there are plenty of members in London who could possibly help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
imy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M140i

sorry should have been clearer. I set my JB4 to autoclear any fault codes when i was at santa pod. I forgot to revers this when i had left therefore any codes that may have come up would have been auto reset.

07 E90 335i: JB4, Trebila BEF, BMS DCI, VRSF DPs, Scoops, 19" CSL Reps, 5" ETS FMIC, VTT Inlets, BMS CP, HKS BOV, BMS Meth Injection - sold
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Sorry to hear that Imy.

You really need to see if it's giving you codes. Otherwise you are guessing at what it might be. It could be 1 of a thousand things or 5 of them.

The fact you completely lost power makes me think in the direction of fuel pumps though. Low or high pressure pump. The car is designed to be able to maintain cruising if the high pressure pump fails but if the low pressure pump goes (which feeds the high pressure pump) you are done. Electrical is also possible. Lack of sparks to trigger combustion. If coils are going bad then you probably start to see timing drops or more severely misfires at the higher revs when the spark must be generated more quickly.

If the issue doesn't come back you might be able to count your lucky stars but it doesn't do much for confidence in the car does it! That happening to you on a motorway is dangerous enough but just think if you are pulling out of a junction or crossing oncoming traffic.

Best thing is to try and replicate the conditions under which it happened before to see if you can make the codes come back.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0