E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metal scrapping noise coming from rear brake.

04-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
SoFlo335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

**UPDATE** etal scrapping noise coming from rear brake.

So, during the last couple weeks, Ive been hearing this squeaking coming from the rear while driving really slow. Ive also been noticing that sometimes the brake pedal is very hard and sensitive. And tonight, I braked semi hard, and once I started to drive again, this metal scrapping sound was coming from the rear brake, and the brake pedal was very hard, I could not line it up with the throttle. Does anyone know what it could be? I know that it has to do with the brake, but when I was looking at it, everything seemed fine... Eventually, it went away after I pumped the brake pedal for a while.

Thanks

UPDATE

Has this happened to anyone? I took my car in this week, and I just received it today and they told me that nothing was wrong. They also told me that the squeaking was normal. BTW, I really doubt that metal screeching sound is normal.

Last edited by SoFlo335; 04-11-2008 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
SanDiegoBuff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 328i, E90 '06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlo335 View Post
So, during the last couple weeks, Ive been hearing this squeaking coming from the rear while driving really slow. Ive also been noticing that sometimes the brake pedal is very hard and sensitive. And tonight, I braked semi hard, and once I started to drive again, this metal scrapping sound was coming from the rear brake, and the brake pedal was very hard, I could not line it up with the throttle. Does anyone know what it could be? I know that it has to do with the brake, but when I was looking at it, everything seemed fine... Eventually, it went away after I pumped the brake pedal for a while.

Thanks
Sounds like it's probably the pads. Not sure if BMW does it, but with most pads, when they get low there's a built in feature that causes the break to squeal. After a little while or some use, it'll go away, it's meant as a "go get you f'ing breaks checked" kind of last chance warning.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
SoFlo335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Well, IDK how long break pads last and IDK if BMW replaces them on preowned cars. My car has 12k on it. If they do replace them, then the pad is obviously not worn out. But besides the squeak, the noise that it was making was like if you scrape a metal pole on concrete. IDK if it is save to drive with that possible reoccurring problem or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

just get them checked. Its as simple as that. I would say that it is probaly NOT safe.

Just ask Jerry Seinfeld
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
SanDiegoBuff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 '08 328i, E90 '06 325i

I would like to assume they change 'em out on all pre owned cars they sell, but they may just change the pads if they are under a certain percentage.

That's exactly what it sounded like on my last car when the pads went, I could hear it in the cabin, over the radio. And the feature is designed to go away after a couple pumps of the brake.

At any rate, there's something wrong back there! If it's the pad depth warning feature, you're OK for a few days, if it's something more serious, you don't want to end up wrapped around another car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

bmw doesnt have any built in noise makers in the brakes. they have a brake pad warning sensor which basically wears down and shorts out on the brake rotor thus turning on the light. take it to the dealer...
Appreciate 0