THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Entrance cover strip replacement

10-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
CreativeFuel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Entrance cover strip replacement

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance on how to remove the black plastic strip in the photo. Long story short... the dealer scratched mine and I'd like to replace it. Do I need to buy a set of plastic trim tools? Any advice on how to remove the old one would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Yes, if the dealer scratched it, they should replace it. But it's a relatively cheap part and going back to the dealer would be more trouble than it's worth.)
Attached Images

10-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeFuel View Post
I was hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance on how to remove the black plastic strip in the photo. Long story short... the dealer scratched mine and I'd like to replace it. Do I need to buy a set of plastic trim tools? Any advice on how to remove the old one would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Yes, if the dealer scratched it, they should replace it. But it's a relatively cheap part and going back to the dealer would be more trouble than it's worth.)
Price it first. I'm willing to bet it's not cheap. At any rate yes a plastic trim removal tool will work best as not to damage the paint. Just get under the the sill trim piece and pry straight up. It should be clipped in.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

It is slightly tricky to get the rear of the new piece in, as the clip is at a slight angle. Just take your time making sure it is lined up in the slot and gently but firmly push it in at an angle. Don't force or pound it straight in! (don't ask how I know )
Appreciate 1