E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hexons died at 3000 KM. Ordered AD bottom mount

10-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
bdhh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 black 335i convertible

Hexons died at 3000 KM. Ordered AD bottom mount

After a lot of diagnosis, because of a howl. I found that my rear turbo either has a bad bearing or bent shaft. Although there is no play or oil on either turbo.
Looked at the options & almost went the pure route. But I have had it with the current hybrid, maybe it will last or not option. So I decided on AD Engineering
bottom mount kit. Even though the price is high I believe the quality is worth it. I plan on keeping the car for a while. I considered top mount because it looks so cool. But heat management is an issue. I plan on leaving a review after install &
getting rid of a lot of performance parts I will no longer need after the install.
Unfortunately my kit will not come till January, because there are other orders in front of me. But I am cool with that as Andy was upfront on time frame & didn't bulls--t me like other sellers have to get the sale.
Can not wait to install it though

2008 E93 ET 11.725, 1.8 60ft 122,83 mph
VRSF DP,CP, 7in intercooler, inlets. Hexon RR600s, Aquamist HSF-4 80% Meth. Robs Turbo drains, High & low side catch cans with head plugs. PE Mufflers. Fuel-it Stage 2 & TBI. Diff Brace. Line Lock. MDH Tune
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhh View Post
After a lot of diagnosis, because of a howl. I found that my rear turbo either has a bad bearing or bent shaft. Although there is no play or oil on either turbo.
Looked at the options & almost went the pure route. But I have had it with the current hybrid, maybe it will last or not option. So I decided on AD Engineering
bottom mount kit. Even though the price is high I believe the quality is worth it. I plan on keeping the car for a while. I considered top mount because it looks so cool. But heat management is an issue. I plan on leaving a review after install &
getting rid of a lot of performance parts I will no longer need after the install.
Unfortunately my kit will not come till January, because there are other orders in front of me. But I am cool with that as Andy was upfront on time frame & didn't bulls--t me like other sellers have to get the sale.
Can not wait to install it though
What kind of howl did you have? I have like a chattering/rattle that I can't figure out... Everything is on and tight but it is only on the throttle that I can hear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
bdhh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 black 335i convertible

look up bmw turbo howl on you tube. There is a good vid of a bmw diesel
with the exact sound. No I did not have any chatter. I spent a lot of time diagnosing my car. First with pressure testing for boost leaks, which at 15 psi
I found a lot. Next I isolated the turbo waste gate vacuum with a mighty vac. Power brake the car with just vacuum to 1 turbo & see if the noise is there, also rev it in neutral & listen for the noise. The exhaust may spin the non activated turbo when power braking enough to hear the noise. But not enough when just revving it. Do not over do it when testing, its hard on the engine to boost only 1 bank.
I did the above and determined which turbo had the problem. My turbos had no oil or play on either end. Rear has a failed bearing or a bent shaft. probably the bearing.

2008 E93 ET 11.725, 1.8 60ft 122,83 mph
VRSF DP,CP, 7in intercooler, inlets. Hexon RR600s, Aquamist HSF-4 80% Meth. Robs Turbo drains, High & low side catch cans with head plugs. PE Mufflers. Fuel-it Stage 2 & TBI. Diff Brace. Line Lock. MDH Tune

Last edited by bdhh; 10-31-2016 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0