E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Scottish Highlands

11-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Scottish Highlands

Hi,

Planning to go on a trip to the Highlands in 2 weeks to visit places like Inverness, Aviemore, and Loch Ness. Heard its supposed to be beautiful.

I've only been up to Glassgow before so not sure what its like up there in terms of snow in November? Should i get some snow socks just in case or will i be fine?

Any other tips would be appreciated, as in places to see around these areas. Taking my 1 year old son with me so has to be child/pram friendly!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There are plenty of great driving roads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...scenic-drives/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ips-world.html

Have a great time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Hi,

Planning to go on a trip to the Highlands in 2 weeks to visit places like Inverness, Aviemore, and Loch Ness. Heard its supposed to be beautiful.

I've only been up to Glassgow before so not sure what its like up there in terms of snow in November? Should i get some snow socks just in case or will i be fine?

Any other tips would be appreciated, as in places to see around these areas. Taking my 1 year old son with me so has to be child/pram friendly!
The NC500 is a stunning drive - but as you'll be taking the wee one you'll just have to enjoy it as a leisurely pace.

Here's the link to the website. I've done bits of it in my X5 (not the fat Datsun as was taking OH and her/sorry our dogs up to her Gran's who lives right at the top) and it was a great drive.

http://www.northcoast500.com/

Since you've got the time, i'd suggest getting up as far as you can go to see North of Inverness. It's sparse barren and stunning.

No snow, it's usually too wet - but summer tyres won't perform that well in the cold wet conditions so take it easy.

Where are you planning on staying? It might be worth booking some nice places in advance as there are not that many options and the good ones will be booked before you get there.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Snow socks? You'll probably need a decent pair of gloves and a scarf too
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the tips guys, i'll check the links out and will leave the snow socks for the time being. Im sure it will be fine i will be taking it easy with my son in the car anyway.

North of Inverness looks lovely but im only spending 3 full days there. Accommodation has been booked in Aviemore so i'll be taking the A9, most beautiful a road in the world according to your link AO1

NC500 looks awesome but will have to revisit in the summer without the family for that.

Ian: Meant for the car! Will defo need gloves tho!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #6
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

If u are able to, do the old military road Mob, I drove all the way from Brighton in the summer just to be on that road and it didn't let down

The landscape round Scotland is just stunning, did a big drive through the Highlands Covering Glasgow - Glencoe - fort William, Skye etc was fabulous
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
If u are able to, do the old military road Mob, I drove all the way from Brighton in the summer just to be on that road and it didn't let down

The landscape round Scotland is just stunning, did a big drive through the Highlands Covering Glasgow - Glencoe - fort William, Skye etc was fabulous
Thanks Rudz. Where is the old military road?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
read about it here
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/trac...tinations.html

see this video
      11-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #9
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Drove around Loch Lomond a few weeks ago...absolutely stunning scenery!! Enjoy it!!

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
read about it here
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/trac...tinations.html

see this video
That looks amazing and isnt too far from where we are staying. Tempted to go there but will have to take it easy with my son in the car
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That looks amazing and isnt too far from where we are staying. Tempted to go there but will have to take it easy with my son in the car
go for the scenery Mob, the drive is not difficult, I avoided the detour mentioned on the video, just drive to Glenshee and back via the old military road, but as you say, I am unsure of the whether at this time of the year, have you got winters on ? May be needed with the amount of power ur car makes. Good luck either ways, u will have a fab time, scotland has some of the best roads in the country no doubt.
      11-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
go for the scenery Mob, the drive is not difficult, I avoided the detour mentioned on the video, just drive to Glenshee and back via the old military road, but as you say, I am unsure of the whether at this time of the year, have you got winters on ? May be needed with the amount of power ur car makes. Good luck either ways, u will have a fab time, scotland has some of the best roads in the country no doubt.
No winters mate but i got new ish pss on. I will probably be going lower than the speed limit, my 1 year old son is too precious for me

Looks like there will be rain on one of the days so may just go for the drive then.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
vtwin_man
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3

Highlands

My wife and I did this journey last weekend. From Runcorn in Cheshire to Inverness.
After the M74, I chose the A9. Fantastic road, scenery and surface BUT absolutely packed with average speed cameras for about 60+ miles. Made for a relaxed trip, but ended up taking 8 hours to get there with two toilet breaks. By the time I got on to the old military road adjacent to Loch Ness, I was ready to dig my eyeballs out with a fork.
Unfortunately, the more westerly A82 would have added an hour to the journey and the more Easterly direct route through the Cairngorms was knee deep in snow.
If you take the A9 just remember that the few overtaking opportunities that crop up - that is two lanes your side, one side theirs - are classed as 2+1 roads and the limit is NOT 70mph, it's still 60! These are also surrounded by cameras... Bloody nightmare when you've been stuck behind a tractor and want to floor it but can't.
Beautiful up there though!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:04 AM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin_man View Post
My wife and I did this journey last weekend. From Runcorn in Cheshire to Inverness.
After the M74, I chose the A9. Fantastic road, scenery and surface BUT absolutely packed with average speed cameras for about 60+ miles. Made for a relaxed trip, but ended up taking 8 hours to get there with two toilet breaks. By the time I got on to the old military road adjacent to Loch Ness, I was ready to dig my eyeballs out with a fork.
Unfortunately, the more westerly A82 would have added an hour to the journey and the more Easterly direct route through the Cairngorms was knee deep in snow.
If you take the A9 just remember that the few overtaking opportunities that crop up - that is two lanes your side, one side theirs - are classed as 2+1 roads and the limit is NOT 70mph, it's still 60! These are also surrounded by cameras... Bloody nightmare when you've been stuck behind a tractor and want to floor it but can't.
Beautiful up there though!
Yes it was snowing last week but this week theres none.

Agree the roads are amazing up here, in terms of road surface and scenary. So good that my wife noticed the car sounded much quieter. Even the local roads seem magical, could drive them all day. It reminds me of the alpine forests in Europe.

We also took the A9 but i was doing around 50-60 anyway, partly admiring the view and partly due to my one year old son. I hope i didnt get caught doing 70 on the 2+1, that is sneaky of them to do that.

Visited some lochs yeaterday and went up the mountain on a train, was magical. Was going to go see loch ness but might give that a miss. Really want to drive the old military road mentioned above but its a 4 hr round trip. Might go that way when we return.

Just need to find a local car wash now! Wife banned me from bringing my bucket and mitts
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #15
BMW Steve
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 535D & e93 335i Highline

Inverness and Aviemore, great for adventure training, hiking and such stuff, spent month's at a time in Inverness while in the Army as a adventure trainer mainly rock climbing, crazy and stupid times...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #16
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anyone need more info up here as I drive on these roads everyday.
From Oban, Fort William, Inverness and Skye

Last edited by J0K3R5; 11-17-2016 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #17
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Heading back today. Will miss the place.

Im going to be so depressed when i get on the M6
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i E91 sport, 123d + others

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0K3R5 View Post
Anyone need more info up here as I drive on these roads everyday.
From Oban, Fort William, Inverness and Skye
just on the off chance if you are up that way do you know anyone who can help a chap stuck near Aviemore his 335d has a cracked wheel - so either needs a wheel repair or 1 or 2 replacement wheels to get back home

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327976
Appreciate 0