BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Detailer's Domain - Akrapovic - unwrapping - install - sound bytes

11-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #1
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Detailer's Domain - Akrapovic - unwrapping - install - sound bytes

Got some pics from the unwrapping of the Akrapovic

A quick description from the Akra site.

Made from ultra-lightweight high-grade titanium, which will lower the overall weight of the car and improve handling. This perfectly finished ECE-approved system has been tuned to get the most from the TwinPower Turbo six-cylinder engine of the M2 and is designed to deliver more power all the way across the rev range. This new system features two separate tubes from the downpipe to the muffler – unlike the car’s original single-tube configuration. It is perfectly routed and shaped to provide optimum gas flow from the M2’s stunning engine and deliver a noticeable performance increase. The sound has also been enhanced by Akrapovič’s engineers; the unique external sound is higher in pitch, giving a true racing feel in the upper rpm range. The Evolution Line is perfect for everyday use, with low-rpm driving smooth and refined, but still showing the true potential of the system – and, when higher revs are hit and the valves are permanently open, the sound has an addictive racing tone. A simple plug-and-play system offers a superb addition to improve the performance of the BMW M2. Carbon-fibre tailpipes give an added look to the rear of the M2, to display its sporting potential. Performance can be further increased with the addition of the optional downpipes, which can be purchased with or without cats. To set off the system to its visual best, optional parts are also available.

---------------
I'm already excited with Akra with such extreme attention to detail in just the packaging alone. Quality!

install photos and sound clips coming soon.

Last edited by Detailers Domain; 11-10-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8107.50
BAN_M2C4176.00
      11-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Soo sexy !!!

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Phil, As always a great write up, excellent pictures and quality parts! True enthusiast as well as being one of the most stand up and quality detailers in the north east!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

thanks Jeff appreciate it! It's a very nice set up. I have Chris and the guys over at Park Ave BMW finishing the install today. Hope things are good over there.
Appreciate 1
DiceK2.00
      11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Excellent taste, you will not be disappointed!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
thanks Jeff appreciate it! It's a very nice set up. I have Chris and the guys over at Park Ave BMW finishing the install today. Hope things are good over there.
I spoke with MO the tech that put it on for you! He's a great tech and a huge enthusiast! said a lot of guys were drooling over the system!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post
I spoke with MO the tech that put it on for you! He's a great tech and a huge enthusiast! said a lot of guys were drooling over the system!
Chris was telling me that it's an extremely nice set up, a full install pictorial and videos coming soon.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4176.00
      11-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Excellent taste, you will not be disappointed!
Tom it's quite the exhaust and it's probably the best one I have seen ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Great story!

Next time switch on Traction mode and then listen what you hear!

MR
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
Detailers Domain
United_States
Rep

Let’s talk about the installation process. Akrapovič estimates 3 hours to do this. It is not as simple as removing the stock system and tightening up the Akrapovič. Whether or not you spring for the Sound Kit, there is some minor work that must be done under the trunk liner on the left-hand side of the vehicle. More on that later.
Now for the fun stuff:
The Akrapovič Evolution system for the M2 includes virtually everything you need for the install. Before anything, note that you can find the Official Akrapovič installation manual

What's in the box:
Installation manual
Compliance Documents (if applicable)
Warranty
All necessary fitting materials
Control Module
Sleeved Matte Carbon Tips
And of course – the Muffler & Pipes.

Tools required:
Nitrile gloves – this is imperative! Any finger prints left on the titanium will burn in and leave some nasty looking marks. Nobody wants that on a system this well put together.
T-handle swiveling 13mm wrench
T-handle 6mm three hexagon wrench
Torx 30
Torx E10
Torx E12
16mm Socket

Before installation please note that Akrapovič provides torque specs for every bolt that needs to be tightened. In addition, they include their own Bolt Sealant, Anti-Seize Copper Paste, and Anti-Seizing Grease.
On to the install.

The factory exhaust is a single piece with oval piping all the way back to the muffler, a resonator, and a flex section just before the downpipe. The picture below shows the factory resonator, flex piping, and the chassis brace (which gave us a little headache later in the install).
Get the car up on a lift and follow the directions closely. You don’t want to make the mistake of mounting the exhaust before wiring the control module it comes with.

Now the fun begins.

Start by loosening the chassis reinforcement plate underneath the vehicle.

We ran into some difficulty removing the clamp from the OEM downpipe here as the bolt on the clamp seized. We cut it off and installed a brand-new replacement. This also meant we needed a replacement gasket – nobody wants leaks. So you’re aware, this single-use gasket does NOT come with the equipment in the Akrapovič box.

You may want a second person with you to support the weight of the muffler. Remove the exhaust hangers and drop the system. Simple enough, the OEM exhaust is off the car.

Nice touch on the heat shield.

Set everything aside and bring the car down. We now have to wire the control module that talks to the valves. To do this, the trunk floor and left-hand side liners must be removed. It’s easiest to remove the side liner with the backseat folded down. Upon removal we’re focusing on connecting the Akrapovič Control Module with the additional Sound Kit to the main wiring that runs through the trunk.

For the sound kit to work, you must set two of the wires from the main harness inside of the Can Sniffer supplied by Akrapovič. You simply set them on the device, no cutting necessary. The instruction manual specifically states that the wires to be attached are yellow/red and yellow/brown. It also states that if two groupings of this color exist, use the one that is less tightly intertwined. One small problem: we had 3 groupings of the same color.

We kept the liner out of the trunk for easy access to the Can Sniffer later on.

Beauty - Time to setup the Akrapovič.

Had some clearance issues with the Chassis Brace. That’s what happens when you move to dual piping! We attempted to rotate the Akrapovič but it would then rub against the heat shield. The fix was to add washers for clearance, although this solution isn’t ideal.

Excuse my forehead.

Before mounting the tips, we lowered the car and put it in radio ready mode. We had to ensure we had the right wires running through the Can Sniffer. Good thing we left the trunk liner out - we had used the wrong set of wires initially.
After fixing this mixup, the valves were functional and the Sound Kit remote was communicating with the valves as well.

With everything put together, we tightened up the wiring and put the liner back in the trunk. The M2 is ready for delivery.

As far as the tips go - they play well with the Gloss Carbon M Performance Diffuser despite some initial concerns. Alignment was a breeze. I took it for a short test drive to ensure no rattles or vibrations and that was that. No issues, time for pickup.

We staged the M2 on our Delivery Center floor. It's not every day you see an M2 like this one. It drew tons of attention, and every angle begged for another photo to be taken. I'll leave a few of those below.

As far as sound goes, nobody ever said louder is better. Make no mistake, the Akrapovič certainly is louder, it is the perfect enhancement to the stock exhaust note. Tons of snap crackle pop action. It's throaty as all hell and you can feel the engine breathing much more freely given the combination of the Eventuri Intake and Akrapovič Evolution Exhaust. I had the pleasure of driving behind the M2 with the newly installed Akrapovič system and it was all music to my ears.

Not the best video but some great sound bytes

A huge thank you to HRE Wheels & Akrapovič for the hassle-free process and super fast shipping. Also cannot thank Phil DetailersDomain enough for making this happen.

Also a big shout to Mo for the time he took on this installation.

The system was supplied by HRE Wheels

We have an open door at our Delivery Center by the way! Come check us out at Park Ave BMW. 490 Huyler St. South Hackensack, NJ 07606

Last edited by Detailers Domain; 11-19-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0