BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Deciding whether or not to keep my tire care plus warranty

11-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Hey guys,

I purchased my M2 on 10/25 and could not be happier. However, last week I decided to look deeper into my contract since I am in the market for a winter setup and really started questioning the tire care plus warranty I paid for. Basically the warranty is from CNA National (I believe it can be used at any BMW dealer) and allows me coverage on any damage to rim or tire due to road hazard AND, repair to damages caused by contact with a curb. At the dealer I was told these would cover winter set ups but upon reading the fine print, it says that snow tires and tires that do no meet original equipment specifications will not be covered. The total for this warranty was $3395 for 5 years. I have 60 days to request a full refund and may do that.

My previous BMW M3 had a total of 2 flat tires and 2 bent rims in the span on 4.5 years. (NYC/NJ driving) My turbo went unscathed for almost 2 years.

Given that past record, does keeping this warranty make any sense especially since I will have a winter setup??

OEM 437M Wheels seem to be going at $900 for the front and $1000 for the rear. Tires go for $ 240 front and $310 rear.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92

Last edited by Nicname; 11-10-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
IMO that is crazy money. You are pre-purchasing rims you may never use. And when the first set of tires wear you can buy or get free road hazard for much less.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Yeah I know. Unfortunately I only found out about negotiation the price afterwards. First time dealing with tire warranty.
It seems I would need to pop 4-5 tires and have 2 new rims for the price to be worth it. I'll most likely be cancelling.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
IMO that is crazy money. You are pre-purchasing rims you may never use. And when the first set of tires wear you can buy or get free road hazard for much less.
What he said. I would cancel it. Even if you do need to replace a few rims, you'd still be ahead money-wise.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

These warrantees are a total rip off. They possibly pay for people that drive through every hole they see and people that would never buy a used wheel. Also people that pay double and buy tires from a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 02:43 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I would dump that thing super quickly. Sure there is a possibility of having a tire and wheel get damaged and that could cost you some money however going with this plan assures you will spend $3,400 regardless of what happens. That cost is not remotely inline with the level of financial risk it protects you from. I have driven for over 30 years and if I was covered by one of those warranties for that entire time I would have "cashed in" twice. I drove my 3 series for 215,000 miles before I sold it and would have never used a warranty like this and it had expensive and crappy RFT.

We always hear from the guys who won by cashing in on one of these plans but clearly the odds are greatly stacked against you winning in this deal. They clearly marked up that plan tremendously, for 500 or 800 maybe this would make some sense but 3400 bucks is a ton of money to pay for such a narrow level of protection. If you hit a pot hole and destroy a wheel you can claim that on your comprehensive insurance that you already pay for but again these things just don't happen as frequently as some folks would lead you to believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I would dump that thing super quickly. Sure there is a possibility of having a tire and wheel get damaged and that could cost you some money however going with this plan assures you will spend $3,400 regardless of what happens. That cost is not remotely inline with the level of financial risk it protects you from. I have driven for over 30 years and if I was covered by one of those warranties for that entire time I would have "cashed in" twice. I drove my 3 series for 215,000 miles before I sold it and would have never used a warranty like this and it had expensive and crappy RFT.

We always hear from the guys who won by cashing in on one of these plans but clearly the odds are greatly stacked against you winning in this deal. They clearly marked up that plan tremendously, for 500 or 800 maybe this would make some sense but 3400 bucks is a ton of money to pay for such a narrow level of protection. If you hit a pot hole and destroy a wheel you can claim that on your comprehensive insurance that you already pay for but again these things just don't happen as frequently as some folks would lead you to believe.
Yeah I did the math with the numbers I posted before and I would literally need 4 blown tires and 2 damaged rims before I break even with this warranty. Also, winter setup will be on the car for roughly 1/4 of the year. I plan to call Monday and cancel this.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0