BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Washing with Xpel

11-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Washing with Xpel

Hey guys,

First car that I have had Xpel'd (entire front, rear fenders, and behind the rear wheels). At the time of installation I was told I could wash the car normally and detail normally but I wanted to know if there are better methods for washing the car with Xpel. Should I be doing a two bucket setup or rinse less wash or water less wash? If anyone would be open to PM'ing me the process they go through and products used that'd be greatly appreciated.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Have expel on the Z for 8 years, on the M235 for two and now the M2. Love this material. Now others may differ but here is how we do it:
1. Wash carefully with a good non detergent car wash...two buckets is always best. Always use a clean microfiber mitt. Just don't use dirty or rough sponges. Care taken on the edges of course.

2. Good rinsing process.

3. We wax with a good poly wax...several on market. I happen to like the Griots, but each to his own on this. And I use an orbital for 2-3 layers of wax. Removal and hand buffing.

4. Then top it with some regular sacrifice barriers of spray on wax each time its wet or washed. These extra barriers protect the base wax layers.

5. Treat it with some care, and it lasts just fine.
Hope this helps some...others may differ but no one will disagree with some common sense care on the surface and at edges.

I noted on the M235 on rocker panel, a very fine line of dirt about 2 inches long had developed. Very thin and not deep into the film. My dealer who is meticulous, took a very fine razor and trimmed the film back a bit, thus removing the dirt line that had developed -- and could be seen on a AW car--and took the film back to its proper adhesion level there. Looks and is fine and tight now.
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4154.50
      11-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I went ahead and did Cquartz over the top of my Xpel and paint. Wash it like any other car, the Cquartz (Carpro) folks have some recommendations on how to care for it which include using a different soap. Its pretty easy to do, protects the Xpel and paint and makes washing much easier than when bare.

For a pros opinion go to the Detailers Domain thread and Phil can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

keep the same good wash process I'm sure you guys are already using.

2 buckets with grit guards
a good wash
a good detail spray
wax or seal from time to time

yes you can also coat it to make it even easier to take care of.

you will no longer need to polish it, try to stay away from claying it but if it does start to feel rough you can use an iron remove like Nanolex Wheel Cleaner and Iron Remover.
Appreciate 1