E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > is it impossible or?

11-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Melbourne Red

Garage List
is it impossible or?

to stuff down a m60/m62 or s62 engine into a E91, and get everything to work?

please explain in detail if you are commenting.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

The question comes to how modular BMW production is in terms of drivetrains. I would think that the engine mounting points are similar to the N52 or N54 engine. If that's true, then you are in pretty good shape mechanically, as from there the transmission should fit, stock driveshaft and differential from a 335i.

The next big challenge then becomes the electronics to make it all work. I suspect lots of custom programming involved to make it all play nice.

Then you have ancillary systems. If it was a 335i, the cooling system is probably adequate.

Then you'll need to change spring rates for what I assume is a slightly heavier engine. But BMW uses a slightly mid engine mounting point (engine center line i behind the front axle), so you'd need slightly heavier front and rear springs. Might as well upgrade everything while your there.

Bonus points would be adding a supercharger and custom ECU mapping for it.

But I could be wrong on some of those assumptions.

If your going through all the trouble, why not shoot for the moon and find a M70 or S70? Performance wise a well tuned N54 will outperform the M60 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Melbourne Red

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
The question comes to how modular BMW production is in terms of drivetrains. I would think that the engine mounting points are similar to the N52 or N54 engine. If that's true, then you are in pretty good shape mechanically, as from there the transmission should fit, stock driveshaft and differential from a 335i.

The next big challenge then becomes the electronics to make it all work. I suspect lots of custom programming involved to make it all play nice.

Then you have ancillary systems. If it was a 335i, the cooling system is probably adequate.

Then you'll need to change spring rates for what I assume is a slightly heavier engine. But BMW uses a slightly mid engine mounting point (engine center line i behind the front axle), so you'd need slightly heavier front and rear springs. Might as well upgrade everything while your there.

If your going through all the trouble, why not shoot for the moon and find a M70 or S70? Performance wise a well tuned N54 will outperform the M60 engine.
Well im sure there are several alternatives that will outperform a m60 engine, i've just kind of fallen in love with the m60/s62 engines. so far im just on the "oh i have an idea" stage. and initially it would involve a e91(cause it is soo cool with sleeper wagons ) with an v8, no turbo no supercharger at first. but as i thought. the big issue would not be if the engine would fit, or if i would have to change brakes, springs etc. it was the electronics as i first thought. doing it to a e30 or e36 would be fairly easy since alot of people have done it. but i like the newer bodys
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
ilicboris
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

Quote:

Good luck finding any S70 to drop into a chassis.

M70 is also a terrible option for a swap. The M60/62 will both out perform any M70 without ruining your bank account as much.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

Quote:
Performance wise a well tuned N54 will outperform the M60 engine.
performance wise a well tuned n54 will out perform all those engines and a s65
Appreciate 0