F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake DIY Questions
Studio RSR

11-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #1
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Brake DIY Questions

Hey guys, it looks like my original rear pads are approaching the end of their life, and I had a few questions I was hoping you can help with... This is for an F30 335i (Sport line but non-M)

1. Does anyone have the torque specs for the caliper pins and the caliper bolts? (My immediate interest is for the rear, but I'll take the fronts as well, as those won't be too far away...)

2. I have always replaced my rotors when I've replaced my pads--my thinking was that getting my rotors turned on the spot on a Saturday would be a hassle--but, I was wondering: is it really necessary to have the rotors resurfaced if they're in decent shape?

3. Any tips, or is there anything unusual about replacing pads / rotors on an F30? I've done it many times on E36's and E46's; is there anything different?

Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Rotors do not need to be turned on a BMW. Just throw the new pads in and go.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #3
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bone View Post
2. I have always replaced my rotors when I've replaced my pads--my thinking was that getting my rotors turned on the spot on a Saturday would be a hassle--but, I was wondering: is it really necessary to have the rotors resurfaced if they're in decent shape?
Thanks very much!
BMW Rotors are often down to the min. thickness when the pads are down.
So I would measure the rotor and then decide.
If installing new pads to used rotors you have to make sure, that pad surface has full contact to the rotor surface. Otherwise you wont have full brake power and it would take a long time for the pads to bed in.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 1
123Britt287.00
      12-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
BMW Rotors are often down to the min. thickness when the pads are down.
So I would measure the rotor and then decide.
If installing new pads to used rotors you have to make sure, that pad surface has full contact to the rotor surface. Otherwise you wont have full brake power and it would take a long time for the pads to bed in.
Very true on rotors. I have always replaced rotors and pads at the same time to avoid headaches.

Brakes on F30 are no more complicated. Doing brakes on F10 with electronic parking brake is another story.
Appreciate 0