BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Evolution Racewerks M2 Oil Cooler Released!!! PICS INSIDE!!!

11-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Evolution Racewerks M2 Oil Cooler Released!!! PICS INSIDE!!!

Key Features:

Reduces the high oil temperatures that N55 engine produces which helps reduce oil breakdown, improving the longevity of your car!
Large 9"x8"x2" (11"x8"x2" with end tanks) Oil Coolers. Factory stock oil cooler 8.75"x4.75"x1"
Over 350% larger capacity than the factory oil cooler!!!
Sports Oil Cooler has a total of 144 cubic inches of core! Factory oil cooler has 41 cubic inches.
Available with no finish (silver) or Type III Hard Black Anodizing (for stealth). Hard anodizing helps improve durability of intercooler fins against damage from road debris (rocks).
Enclosed box with venting louvers - protects oil coolers from road debris without sacrificing airflow!
High Quality Goodrich AN Fittings in Black Anodize - NO China made fittings used here.
High End Goodrich Fittings and Stainless Steel braided Oil Lines
Retains the factory oil heatsink for additional cooling capacity
Optional Aluminum Shrouding to direct airflow through the oil coolers for improved efficiency.
Includes all hardware needed to install. No need to go hunting for hardware to finish the installation.
Developed and tested on the race track!
Limited Lifetime Warranty.

It's well known that the N55 engines runs very hot. Turbos that build a lot of heat and a small radiator play into why this engine runs so hot. A quick look at your gauge cluster on your dash after a few minutes of "spirited" driving, you'll notice oil temperatures over 250 degrees. Considering that most cars don't even exceed 230 degrees tells you quite a bit. As oil temperatures get too high, thermal degradation occurs. This is when the oil starts to lose viscosity due to heat and start to break down and becomes more susceptible to "shearing" or oil breakdown. An internal combustion engine like the N55 engine, imparts high shear forces on the motor oil, which is sandwiched between two rotating or sliding forces under load and heat. "Shearing" is when the molecular structure is essentially torn apart by these mechanical shear forces. Lower your operating oil temperature will greatly reduce this. Thus your motor oil is in better shape to protect the bearings in your car's engine, thus improving longevity.

The M235i/335i/435i/M2 comes from the factory with a small oil cooler with a core size of 8.75"x4.75"x1" (222mmx121mmx26mm) which comes out to 41 cubic inches of core. The Sports Series Oil Cooler system features a large 11"x8"x2" (280mmx203mmx51mm) oil cooler with a core size of 9"x8"x2" (229mmx203mmx51mm). The Sports Series Oil Cooler comes out to 144 cubic inches of core which is 3.5 times larger than the factory unit each!

The Sports Series Oil Cooler mounts to its own box enclosure. This style box was developed on our 135i Time Attack race car and is brought here to our new F30 applications Louvers on the backside of the box enclosure ensures airflow through the oil cooler while protecting the oil cooler from road debris, especially debris kicked up from the front tires. During initial testing, our box enclosure had a big window (open hole) in the back for airflow. However, throughout the race season, it took so much abuse from rocks, tire and other debris kicked up from the front tires that we had to replace the oil coolers on our Time Attack 135i. Thus, instead of a big hole for airflow to flow through, we used louvers instead to protect the back side of the oil cooler. This effectively solved the issue without any affect on performance. Oil temperatures as well as oil temperature deltas stayed the same.

Kit Options:

When the oil cooler box enclosures are used in conjunction with our optional ducting shroud kits, the oil cooler box enclosure actually seals and forces all the airflow captured by the ducting shrouds through the oil cooler cores. Improves the oil cooler's effectiveness and efficiency. The ducting shroud kits are available in aluminum. These are model and bumper specific so make sure you order the correct shroud kit.

Car Model and Front Bumper Aluminum Shroud
M135i/M235i Available
M2 Available
335i Available
435i Available

Appreciate 1
DrKevM52262.00
      11-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Cool! This plus the BMS catch can will help a lot at the track
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 01:43 AM   #3
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Key Features:

Reduces the high oil temperatures that N55 engine produces which helps reduce oil breakdown, improving the longevity of your car!
Large 9"x8"x2" (11"x8"x2" with end tanks) Oil Coolers. Factory stock oil cooler 8.75"x4.75"x1"
Over 350% larger capacity than the factory oil cooler!!!
Sports Oil Cooler has a total of 144 cubic inches of core! Factory oil cooler has 41 cubic inches.
Available with no finish (silver) or Type III Hard Black Anodizing (for stealth). Hard anodizing helps improve durability of intercooler fins against damage from road debris (rocks).
Enclosed box with venting louvers - protects oil coolers from road debris without sacrificing airflow!
High Quality Goodrich AN Fittings in Black Anodize - NO China made fittings used here.
High End Goodrich Fittings and Stainless Steel braided Oil Lines
Retains the factory oil heatsink for additional cooling capacity
Optional Aluminum Shrouding to direct airflow through the oil coolers for improved efficiency.
Includes all hardware needed to install. No need to go hunting for hardware to finish the installation.
Developed and tested on the race track!
Limited Lifetime Warranty.

It's well known that the N55 engines runs very hot. Turbos that build a lot of heat and a small radiator play into why this engine runs so hot. A quick look at your gauge cluster on your dash after a few minutes of "spirited" driving, you'll notice oil temperatures over 250 degrees. Considering that most cars don't even exceed 230 degrees tells you quite a bit. As oil temperatures get too high, thermal degradation occurs. This is when the oil starts to lose viscosity due to heat and start to break down and becomes more susceptible to "shearing" or oil breakdown. An internal combustion engine like the N55 engine, imparts high shear forces on the motor oil, which is sandwiched between two rotating or sliding forces under load and heat. "Shearing" is when the molecular structure is essentially torn apart by these mechanical shear forces. Lower your operating oil temperature will greatly reduce this. Thus your motor oil is in better shape to protect the bearings in your car's engine, thus improving longevity.

The M235i/335i/435i/M2 comes from the factory with a small oil cooler with a core size of 8.75"x4.75"x1" (222mmx121mmx26mm) which comes out to 41 cubic inches of core. The Sports Series Oil Cooler system features a large 11"x8"x2" (280mmx203mmx51mm) oil cooler with a core size of 9"x8"x2" (229mmx203mmx51mm). The Sports Series Oil Cooler comes out to 144 cubic inches of core which is 3.5 times larger than the factory unit each!

The Sports Series Oil Cooler mounts to its own box enclosure. This style box was developed on our 135i Time Attack race car and is brought here to our new F30 applications Louvers on the backside of the box enclosure ensures airflow through the oil cooler while protecting the oil cooler from road debris, especially debris kicked up from the front tires. During initial testing, our box enclosure had a big window (open hole) in the back for airflow. However, throughout the race season, it took so much abuse from rocks, tire and other debris kicked up from the front tires that we had to replace the oil coolers on our Time Attack 135i. Thus, instead of a big hole for airflow to flow through, we used louvers instead to protect the back side of the oil cooler. This effectively solved the issue without any affect on performance. Oil temperatures as well as oil temperature deltas stayed the same.

Kit Options:

When the oil cooler box enclosures are used in conjunction with our optional ducting shroud kits, the oil cooler box enclosure actually seals and forces all the airflow captured by the ducting shrouds through the oil cooler cores. Improves the oil cooler's effectiveness and efficiency. The ducting shroud kits are available in aluminum. These are model and bumper specific so make sure you order the correct shroud kit.

Car Model and Front Bumper Aluminum Shroud
M135i/M235i Available
M2 Available
335i Available
435i Available

Plz pm me with price!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Cool! This plus the BMS catch can will help a lot at the track
If you can find a place to install the BMS can, you're a genius. I've tried everything.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I don't think I've seen the car crack 225-230 yet at the track running very hard. The cooling system on the M2 is well sorted compared to models in the past with N55 engines.
Appreciate 0