F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Failed Rear Axle Output Shaft
Studio RSR

11-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
X6M4DeeMac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F86 X6M Donington Grey

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Failed Rear Axle Output Shaft

Hello everyone I have '14 335i with 24k miles on her. I noticed the car was out aligned so took it to the dealer to get it worked on. After inspecting the car the service guy said that the rear axle output shaft boots were damaged. The dealer concluded that it was damaged from a outside source and they wouldn't warranty the repair. The boot by the wheel was completely cracked and falling apart and the one by the differential was contorted a little bit but was still intact.

As a side note I had a rear upper track arm replaced because the tow truck driver decided to place the tow hook on that bar and bent it when the car was towed after my charge pipe burst. How do the boots fail so soon and how can a outside source cause the boots to fail? How can I get the dealer to honor the warranty and fix this problem. Thanks guys for the replies.

Dee
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

The tow company is responsible for that, that's a complete failure on their part. any competent tow truck driver knows to use the tow hook, and strap the rear wheels.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
X6M4DeeMac
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F86 X6M Donington Grey

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
The tow company is responsible for that, that's a complete failure on their part. any competent tow truck driver knows to use the tow hook, and strap the rear wheels.
That's crazy, I had the tow company pay for the track arm to be replaced. At the time that was all that was damaged from what the dealer could see, so I went with what they told me and signed off of any future claims with the tow company. Question though, can the bent control arm make the axle boots fail prematurely? What do one thing have to do with the other? I'm just asking so I can have some info to go back to the dealer with. Thanks
Appreciate 0