E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod Recognized but no sound

04-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep
Drives: e92 TT AW

Question Ipod Recognized but no sound

So I got my 335i a week ago. Both my stepbrother and I got the same exact car (that was the deal in order for us to get new cars [from 06 325ci])

I was testdriving a space gray 335i and had my iphone with me, the guy at the dealership gave me a cable with a usb connection and aux. Pluged it the other ipod receptor end into my iphone and it worked fine.

So i was listinin to the best rapper alive (lil wayne) and was pretty happy.

Knowing that the other 335i in front of me was probably the one i was gonna get, I got out of the space gray and jumped int my future(my present car) AW 335i. Plugged in the iphone and wanted to listen to Weezy.
This time the car recognized the Iphone and playlists and songs but did not play music, the sound would not come out....

So the dealership guys where trying to figure it out for about an hour and could not.... They ended up telling me it was probably the AUX jack IN the car and that I had to wait a few days to order the part (special order 20 dollar POS)

I couldnt wait since my spring break was over and I needed to get back to berkeley for school (from LA)

Anywho, I went to wetherford BMW here in berkeley to try and get this part and they were Assholes to me from the start. I could feel their "unfriendly-ness" as soon as I walked in.

The service guy told me that not matter what I would have to leave my car there at least that day and they might keep it longer depending on whats wrong with the car.....(which is most probably the AUX cable)

They didnt want to give me one of their cars to drive in the mean while since they said it was only for people who purchased there (assholes)

So after this long ass story, my question is....
Have any of you experienced anything like this with your car and an ipod or iphone?
What do you guys suggest I do? I dont want to leave it there and even if I did I cant because Im in love with my car and cant imagine being away from it for more than an hour.

Just opinions and Ideas will do. THANKS A LOT GUYS!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Start with the basics. Borrow a friends Ipod and see if that one works. Second, try playing music using just the Aux port (1/8") and not the USB jack. Diagnose from there. Good luck!
      04-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
06-325
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 SG

Turn up the volume on both ipod and your car sterio, check if the cord is plugged in securely.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
thissnsooosucks
noob saibot
Rep
Drives: E90 jet black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i don't know about lil wayne being the best rapper alive... but to each his own.
      04-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
1Cold335
Registered
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2006 550I

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazydoezit View Post
So I got my 335i a week ago. Both my stepbrother and I got the same exact car (that was the deal in order for us to get new cars [from 06 325ci])

I was testdriving a space gray 335i and had my iphone with me, the guy at the dealership gave me a cable with a usb connection and aux. Pluged it the other ipod receptor end into my iphone and it worked fine.

So i was listinin to the best rapper alive (lil wayne) and was pretty happy.

Knowing that the other 335i in front of me was probably the one i was gonna get, I got out of the space gray and jumped int my future(my present car) AW 335i. Plugged in the iphone and wanted to listen to Weezy.
This time the car recognized the Iphone and playlists and songs but did not play music, the sound would not come out....

So the dealership guys where trying to figure it out for about an hour and could not.... They ended up telling me it was probably the AUX jack IN the car and that I had to wait a few days to order the part (special order 20 dollar POS)

I couldnt wait since my spring break was over and I needed to get back to berkeley for school (from LA)

Anywho, I went to wetherford BMW here in berkeley to try and get this part and they were Assholes to me from the start. I could feel their "unfriendly-ness" as soon as I walked in.

The service guy told me that not matter what I would have to leave my car there at least that day and they might keep it longer depending on whats wrong with the car.....(which is most probably the AUX cable)

They didnt want to give me one of their cars to drive in the mean while since they said it was only for people who purchased there (assholes)

So after this long ass story, my question is....
Have any of you experienced anything like this with your car and an ipod or iphone?
What do you guys suggest I do? I dont want to leave it there and even if I did I cant because Im in love with my car and cant imagine being away from it for more than an hour.

Just opinions and Ideas will do. THANKS A LOT GUYS!
Thats funny because I just picked up my new 335XI yesterday. On the way home things were going great with the Ipod and then I stopped to get gas.... got back in and the damn thing just says loading forever and it never plays anything now. I don't even know where to start. LOL I'll have to call tomorrow when they are open. Any tips from anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Your car probably just hates your shitty music.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
cooldude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

you have to use the 6FL cable.

usb in usb and aux with aux.
I am not sure why bmw made it this way but they did.
normal ipod usb wire will not work
      04-15-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
eazydoezit
Front Line Infantry
Mexico
Rep
Drives: e92 TT AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
you have to use the 6FL cable.

usb in usb and aux with aux.
I am not sure why bmw made it this way but they did.
normal ipod usb wire will not work

They gave me a cable which has a Connection to go into the AUX slot and also the USB slot.... then those two combine to form an "ipod" connection, yo know the style which fits under the ipods/iphone....

So its like a Y cable....split.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #9
cooldude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazydoezit View Post
They gave me a cable which has a Connection to go into the AUX slot and also the USB slot.... then those two combine to form an "ipod" connection, yo know the style which fits under the ipods/iphone....

So its like a Y cable....split.
yes that's the cable i am talking about.
just put one end into iPod and other two into usb and aux.
you should be all set
      04-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

yah make sure they are in both. the ipod and usb BOTH have to be connected. and some advice. if u want nicer sound quality. set Your EQ to however you desire and Turn down your AUX volume. i have mine all the way down. less feedback.
      04-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
yes that's the cable i am talking about.
just put one end into iPod and other two into usb and aux.
you should be all set
Where can i buy this connection?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Just a thought, are the headphones still plugged into the iPod? If they are, try unplugging them. This happened to me at home when connecting my iPod to my amp, I couldn't get any sound from the amp so I ended up getting cross and calling Pioneer to discover it was as simple as unplugging my headphones from the iPod
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
///MJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

My car doesn't have the usb port, only the aux in- does this mean I do not have the 6FL option? Its an 02/07 build, e92.
Silver-Grey on Black, painted reflectors, 35% tint, ZHP shift knob w/ light, ZCP Reps, UUC clutch stop, Al pedals, V-CSL diffusor
Appreciate 0