BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > busy weekend but still managed to get nailed

11-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

busy weekend but still managed to get nailed

Visited a gf from 32 years ago. She lives on a ranch outside Santa Barbara. On Monday drove down the long driveway, past the gate, did a few turns and bang up comes the screen. I put 35#s in all around maybe a month ago. $hit. Anyway hit America’s Tire in Ventura on the way back to LA. Love this place, get this – free rotations, flat repair and balance and one does not have to even purchase the tires from them. Clean stores, friendly car focused help and incredible prices. Love them. Off the wheel came and the nail could barely be seen. Right rear @ ~2K, not very happy but the repair came out clean. Crazy thing is that I had a screw on my right rear in my S5 at her place on my way to LA a day before leaving for a month in Europe this past Sept. Try and find a tire repair place on a Sunday, not good. Guess it’s going to happen but it’s hard to have stuff like this happen to the things one loves
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #2
AYurch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

This is why I am getting the tire and wheel protection! I have this kind of luck.
2007 Honda Civic Si (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYurch View Post
This is why I am getting the tire and wheel protection! I have this kind of luck.
Your money... This type of flat is plugged for cheap or free by any tire shop. Instead of the BMW ripoff, consider spending $40/tire (or something like that) at Discount Tire for their road hazard coverage.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      11-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

When you said nailed and started off with visited my GF from 32 years ago, I thought something else.
Appreciate 4
QM287.00
Robban267.00
M3 Esq394.50
      11-30-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Your money... This type of flat is plugged for cheap or free by any tire shop. Instead of the BMW ripoff, consider spending $40/tire (or something like that) at Discount Tire for their road hazard coverage.
This is what I did. The second day I had my M2 I drove it to Discount Tire and bought their warranty. Doesn't cover wheels but covers nails and such. Did the same when I got both the X6 and 328i both of which have run flats so the tires can't be patched. Already gotten two replacement tires for the X6 out of it, one of which occurred the first week I had the car so it paid for itself almost immediately.
Appreciate 1
zenmaster1576.50
      11-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
This is what I did. The second day I had my M2 I drove it to Discount Tire and bought their warranty.
You can get the Discount Tire warranty w/o buying the tire from them? Their info (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoCertificate.do) suggests that's how it works?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, just tell them you just bought a new car and want to buy the warranty for the tires. They will walk out and look over the tires, note the mileage on the car and sell you the warranty. I'm assuming they do this in the hopes of gaining your business when it comes time to replace the tires. And of course the hopes that you never have a claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Yes, just tell them you just bought a new car and want to buy the warranty for the tires. They will walk out and look over the tires, note the mileage on the car and sell you the warranty. I'm assuming they do this in the hopes of gaining your business when it comes time to replace the tires. And of course the hopes that you never have a claim.
OK thanks, I will try to do this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #9
AYurch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How much did this run you? The nearest one to me is about the same distance as going to dealer. I have nothing wrong with plugging tires but I though plugging run flats was a no no? Or is that just BMW saying this to make more money.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
OK thanks, I will try to do this tomorrow.
Yup. I found out about this years ago when I put winter tires on a new car and they asked if I wanted the road hazard certificates for the OEM summer tires as well. It's a pretty great option.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #11
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How much did this run you? The nearest one to me is about the same distance as going to dealer. I have nothing wrong with plugging tires but I though plugging run flats was a no no? Or is that just BMW saying this to make more money.
If your M2 comes with runflats they gave you the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
AYurch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If your M2 comes with runflats they gave you the wrong car.
It's my bad! My mother has an x1 so that's why I'm thinking run flats. Thanks for catching that. Though If my car comes with the super sports those tires are super expensive. I'm still kinda skeptical on plugging a high performance tire. All of my cars I have had in the past that I have plugged were all season and winter tires. Sorry if I seem crazy! Lot to think about before Today's delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #13
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's my bad! My mother has an x1 so that's why I'm thinking run flats. Thanks for catching that. Though If my car comes with the super sports those tires are super expensive. I'm still kinda skeptical on plugging a high performance tire. All of my cars I have had in the past that I have plugged were all season and winter tires. Sorry if I seem crazy! Lot to think about before Today's delivery.
Personally a plug between treads doesn't concern me until the tread is near the wear bars or if I'm thrashing the car on the track, but I don't like PSS on the track anyway. Congrats on the delivery!
Appreciate 1
AYurch50.00
      11-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #14
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

Quote:
Personally a plug between treads doesn't concern me until the tread is near the wear bars or if I'm thrashing the car on the track, but I don't like PSS on the track anyway. Congrats on the delivery!
Just an FYI, I believe it was a radial patch and not a patch/plug they used. They have patched many tires for me in this manner, never an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #15
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For the M2 it ran around $200 for all four tires. They will patch the tire if possible but if the puncture is such that it cannot be patched they replace the tire. They will not patch a run flat so you get a replacement no matter where the nail is. The warranty is a no brainer if you have run flats. The M2, however, does not come with run flats but my X6 and 328i did.
Appreciate 1
AYurch50.00
      12-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #16
matto6
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
When you said nailed and started off with visited my GF from 32 years ago, I thought something else.
I thought he was in an accident

Then skimming the thread for pictures I thought someone stole his wheels and left him the jack.

Suddenly needing a tire patch seems like a fantastic deal.
Appreciate 0