F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 435i xdrive suspension question
Studio RSR

12-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Gman1
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xdrive

435i xdrive suspension question

Hey everyone, I recently started a lease on a 2016 435i xdrive and so far ive been loving it, except for one thing. I did not opt for the DHP because I thought that the m sport package would give me the sports suspension. Looking through the forums I found that it only comes with the standard suspension. That being said, I do find it quite comfortable and it does handle decently, although minimal body roll is noticeable and at higher speeds the car feels a bit bouncy.

My question is, what is the difference between the m sport suspension and the xdrive standard suspension, is it only ride height or are their other changes as well? I know that the lci 3 series suspension was improved, did this carry on over to the 4 series?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Sway bars, springs, shock tunes. 4 series already had a better suspension than the 3, but the stock anti sway are pathetic, 12mm rear.
      12-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Gman1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Sway bars, springs, shock tunes. 4 series already had a better suspension than the 3, but the stock anti sway are pathetic, 12mm rear.
If you have driven both suspensions, how much better is the sport one compared to the xdrive? what are the actual component differences between the two besides ride height?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1 View Post
If you have driven both suspensions, how much better is the sport one compared to the xdrive? what are the actual component differences between the two besides ride height?
I just told you the sways, shocks and springs, and no the non-xdrive sways will not fit the x-drive.
      12-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have the DHP on my '14 435 xdrive. The suspension is, dynamically, the worst part of the car. It doesn't compliment the engine, chassis, and brakes which are all pretty damn good.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Hey everyone, I recently started a lease on a 2016 435i xdrive and so far ive been loving it, except for one thing. I did not opt for the DHP because I thought that the m sport package would give me the sports suspension. Looking through the forums I found that it only comes with the standard suspension. That being said, I do find it quite comfortable and it does handle decently, although minimal body roll is noticeable and at higher speeds the car feels a bit bouncy.

My question is, what is the difference between the m sport suspension and the xdrive standard suspension, is it only ride height or are their other changes as well? I know that the lci 3 series suspension was improved, did this carry on over to the 4 series?

Thanks!
Are you looking to improve handling of your xDrive vehicle? There are many threads which discuss at length available options (and costs): coilovers, springs / shocks combinations.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Gman1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Are you looking to improve handling of your xDrive vehicle? There are many threads which discuss at length available options (and costs): coilovers, springs / shocks combinations.
Unfortunately since its a lease I dont want to make any modifications. But ive seen on this forum that the dinan springs seem to bring the sporty character back to the car. My main question however, if you are able to answer it, is if the sport suspension is much better than the base or if the difference is minimal. Right now the car handles pretty well but once you start pushing it I do feel body roll and floatiness.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately since its a lease I dont want to make any modifications. But ive seen on this forum that the dinan springs seem to bring the sporty character back to the car. My main question however, if you are able to answer it, is if the sport suspension is much better than the base or if the difference is minimal. Right now the car handles pretty well but once you start pushing it I do feel body roll and floatiness.
I must honestly say they do not "handle pretty well" stock, the steering is just one issue, but the suspension is soft and the anti-say bars are weak. I rent a lot of cars due to work travel. Most other 30-40k cars have signifqntly upped their game over the last 10 years. My last two cars before were wrx and camaro SS, although I upgraded the anti-sways in that too. After changing the springs, anti-sways and shock tune in my 4-series, it's acceptable, but not mind blowing or "excellent". I've looked into the OEM tunes and compared the springs in the M sport suspension to the regular. The sport suspension gets stiffer anti-sways, like my aftermarket, similar diameter. How they handle is a function of their diameter. The sport suspension sits significantly lower, which requires stiffer springs, and stiffer springs require more shock damping, not rocket science.

If you just change springs, the suspension will rebound more and be more "bouncy". Body roll is decreased only as a function of stiffer springs, this does not increase the stiffness under cornering like thicker anti-sway bars do. Just changing shocks can dramatically improve ride and grip, but it'll still feel sluggish and floaty, but I'd you are looking to corner faster/hold more Gs, shocks and tires are a better investment than springs.

Have you modded the suspension of a car before?

For a 60-70K car, these should handle much better, or at least have the option to.
      12-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Gman1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I must honestly say they do not "handle pretty well" stock, the steering is just one issue, but the suspension is soft and the anti-say bars are weak. I rent a lot of cars due to work travel. Most other 30-40k cars have signifqntly upped their game over the last 10 years. My last two cars before were wrx and camaro SS, although I upgraded the anti-sways in that too. After changing the springs, anti-sways and shock tune in my 4-series, it's acceptable, but not mind blowing or "excellent". I've looked into the OEM tunes and compared the springs in the M sport suspension to the regular. The sport suspension gets stiffer anti-sways, like my aftermarket, similar diameter. How they handle is a function of their diameter. The sport suspension sits significantly lower, which requires stiffer springs, and stiffer springs require more shock damping, not rocket science.

If you just change springs, the suspension will rebound more and be more "bouncy". Body roll is decreased only as a function of stiffer springs, this does not increase the stiffness under cornering like thicker anti-sway bars do. Just changing shocks can dramatically improve ride and grip, but it'll still feel sluggish and floaty, but I'd you are looking to corner faster/hold more Gs, shocks and tires are a better investment than springs.

Have you modded the suspension of a car before?

For a 60-70K car, these should handle much better, or at least have the option to.
I have not modded a suspension before, but i have friends and family who have and know more about suspensions than I do. I guess going from an SUV to a 435i the difference to me was pretty substantial.
Appreciate 0