BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel vs Suntek

12-05-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
Kapachui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Xpel vs Suntek

Seems like a lot of you guys prefer Xpel. Any of you have experience with Suntek? Good, bad, feedback?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

this has been covered a lot - feel free to search the threads as there is a ton on this already. To save you the time though as I've read a lot of them you will find two camps and you will hear a lot of rah rah for xpel and then a lot of people go off about suntek. from what i've read suntek is clearer and easier to install and also a thinner film. people will say "there guy" (everybody's got a guy don't they) says they would take suntek over xpel and "this guy" does a lot of high end vehicles... blah blah. Is that accurate? no idea but thats what you will read. then you will find a ton of guys using xpel including the master detailers on this forum so that has to be worth something. myself I went with xpel as that is what the 'best shop' in bmw's opinion here in town is authorized and trained to install. it looks great and as i got full front end I can't find a seam unless i reall go and look for one. All the best and search for more info.
Appreciate 4
Whatup30.50
Pyrat 21417.50
      12-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
Whatup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

From what I gathered, the more important factor is the skill of the installer than the film. I would go with the one the installer you trust is more comfortable with. In my case, it will be suntek.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Kapachui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2
this has been covered a lot - feel free to search the threads as there is a ton on this already. To save you the time though as I've read a lot of them you will find two camps and you will hear a lot of rah rah for xpel and then a lot of people go off about suntek. from what i've read suntek is clearer and easier to install and also a thinner film. people will say "there guy" (everybody's got a guy don't they) says they would take suntek over xpel and "this guy" does a lot of high end vehicles... blah blah. Is that accurate? no idea but thats what you will read. then you will find a ton of guys using xpel including the master detailers on this forum so that has to be worth something. myself I went with xpel as that is what the 'best shop' in bmw's opinion here in town is authorized and trained to install. it looks great and as i got full front end I can't find a seam unless i reall go and look for one. All the best and search for more info.
Make sense. I gather the same from reading previous posts.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
LOL Pay's your money take's your choice. I went for SunTek on the advice of my 'guy'. They are next door to the local McLaren dealers and do all the McLaren MSO (Special Operations) cars. If it's good enough for rich Arabs, Chines businessman and YouTube douchebags I figured it was good enough for little old me
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 06:49 AM   #6
M2BSM17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
This is what my installer recommended:

On a black car I would do SunTek on all the upper areas for sure. The rockers would be Xpel and probably the front bumper too. Xpel is a little thicker and tougher against the constant shredding in those areas. SunTek has the clarity and texture you want on a black car on the hood, fenders and such.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
Lincoln30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
My car has had both Suntek and Xpel on the front bumper. I had Suntek but the installer wasn't good enough to do a complex front bumper. I had a different installer redo it and he used Xpel. I still have Suntek on the mirrors and part of the rear bumper and I cannot tell a difference. Some people say Suntek is slightly more clear but I can't tell on my car.
Past BMWs: E30 323i, E36 325is, E36 M3, E46 M3, E39 M5, E46 325i, E90 335i, F80 M3, F87 M2
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapachui View Post
Seems like a lot of you guys prefer Xpel. Any of you have experience with Suntek? Good, bad, feedback?

Thank you!
You cant go bad on either one, what sold me on the suntek is the significant reduction in orange peel. I saw them side by side xpel vs suntek, the suntek looked much more smooth. I currently have suntek on both of my daily driven cars, they look great and have saved my paint from a lot of damage.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      02-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

as long as you have a good installer backing up his work and willing to fix issues down the line you should be good.

both will protect the paint.
Appreciate 0